Will Most of the Republicans Leave Illinois?

chancemccall

The wealthy who are fleeing Illinois in pretty large numbers better pay attention. It's going to get a lot worse if JB and the progressive's have their way. Here's a link to an article i read today on Zerohedge dot com. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-13/progressives-zero-exit-tax-illinois-wealth

How does that work? They can't collect it until you sell your house and once you sell your house it's not yours for the state to put a tax lien on.

The wealthy who are fleeing Illinois in pretty large numbers better pay attention. It's going to get a lot worse if JB and the progressive's have their way. Here's a link to an article i read today on Zerohedge dot com. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-13/progressives-zero-exit-tax-illinois-wealth

How does that work? They can't collect it until you sell your house and once you sell your house it's not yours for the state to put a tax lien on.

They will make it a requirement in order to have a closing.

Buzzard, he is a FUDD. He has owned a .22 rifle since he was a kid . He now owns a couple .22 rifles , a couple shotguns and a couple revolvers. When we got into the argument about gun bans he asked me what someone needs with an AR15. I said it wasn't about needs or hunting but about right to own. You should have seen his face when I told him the way one anti bill was written he would have had to get rid of the semi-auto 12 ga. Winchester he owns.

We talked about the bump stocks. he said it turns a gun into a full auto. I corrected him by telling him it still took a pull of the trigger for each shot fired. I used to bump fire my mini 14 years ago and I told him bump stocks used a piece of plastic to do the same thing I used to do with my finger.

You are correct about him not knowing as much as he thinks he does. I've had to correct him about the " gun show loophole " garbage in the past. people like him rely on MSM to get their information and as we all know it is often far from the truth but they take it as gospel.

I was born in IL. I am not leaving *my* home I'm actually the 4th generation to live in my house (while raising my own children).. I'm not going to be run off my home by some Chicago crooks.

As long as they don't run out out of your home in real-estate taxes. I know a family that was living it the same home since the village was created and when the taxes hit $43,000 they just had to leave. Oh yeah they got a whole lot of money for a dink old house (the land/location) but they didn't want to move.

As i commented elsewhere, I am now looking at going over the line to Indiana. Somewhere in Lake County I think so I am still close to friends and other contacts, but away from the politics and taxes of Illinois. Been looking on the Crown Point/St John area but open to others. I have been involved with the shooting sports since I was ten years old. i am now retired. I am not going to just sit back and wait for the government in this State to take way a lifetime of memories and the only activity still left to me on a weekly basis. And for those who said "no one is trying to take away your guns", guess what. Yes they are.

Lake County Indiana voted for Hillary in 2016.

https://brilliantmaps.com/2016-county-election-map/

They will make it a requirement in order to have a closing.

+1

I was born in IL. I am not leaving *my* home I'm actually the 4th generation to live in my house (while raising my own children).. I'm not going to be run off my home by some Chicago crooks.

As long as they don't run out out of your home in real-estate taxes. I know a family that was living it the same home since the village was created and when the taxes hit $43,000 they just had to leave. Oh yeah they got a whole lot of money for a dink old house (the land/location) but they didn't want to move.

I know many folks that were forced to do the same exact thing for the same reason. It's a real bummer.

I know many folks that were forced to do the same exact thing for the same reason. It's a real bummer.

Welcome to the reality of many of Illinois farmers and founding families, the only saving grace is that property values are generally high enough that the can cash out on those longtime family investments and run away...

As i commented elsewhere, I am now looking at going over the line to Indiana. Somewhere in Lake County I think so I am still close to friends and other contacts, but away from the politics and taxes of Illinois. Been looking on the Crown Point/St John area but open to others. I have been involved with the shooting sports since I was ten years old. i am now retired. I am not going to just sit back and wait for the government in this State to take way a lifetime of memories and the only activity still left to me on a weekly basis. And for those who said "no one is trying to take away your guns", guess what. Yes they are.

Lake County Indiana voted for Hillary in 2016.

https://brilliantmaps.com/2016-county-election-map/

True, and she would no doubt win in Lake county in 2020 if she is on the ballot. Lake county is about 2/3 Dem based on a calculation by yours truly of the recent votes cast here. There are many Illinois transplants here, I suspect a lot are die hard Dem. Fortunately they don't dominate the state like Crook county does. Therefore, we made the decision to move here eight years ago and haven't regretted it.

Buzzard, he is a FUDD. He has owned a .22 rifle since he was a kid . He now owns a couple .22 rifles , a couple shotguns and a couple revolvers. When we got into the argument about gun bans he asked me what someone needs with an AR15. I said it wasn't about needs or hunting but about right to own. You should have seen his face when I told him the way one anti bill was written he would have had to get rid of the semi-auto 12 ga. Winchester he owns.

We talked about the bump stocks. he said it turns a gun into a full auto. I corrected him by telling him it still took a pull of the trigger for each shot fired. I used to bump fire my mini 14 years ago and I told him bump stocks used a piece of plastic to do the same thing I used to do with my finger.

You are correct about him not knowing as much as he thinks he does. I've had to correct him about the " gun show loophole " garbage in the past. people like him rely on MSM to get their information and as we all know it is often far from the truth but they take it as gospel.

I've got a stepson just like him! And a liberal stepdaughter too! The stepson owns a shotgun, a .22 semi-auto rifle and a semi-auto pistol. But he says he doesn't care about politics so he won't vote. Yet he bashes President Trump because it's fashionable on Facebook. The stepdaughter recently got a chance to shoot an AR15 and simply LOVED it! And yet she voted for J.B. Pritzker because she said, "He's better than Rauner because Rauner didn't do anything good and ran the state into the HOLE!"

Many 'Millennials' don't know anything more than what is said on Farcebook or what they read on Google sites!

I've got a stepson just like him! And a liberal stepdaughter too! The stepson owns a shotgun, a .22 semi-auto rifle and a semi-auto pistol. But he says he doesn't care about politics so he won't vote. Yet he bashes President Trump because it's fashionable on Facebook. The stepdaughter recently got a chance to shoot an AR15 and simply LOVED it! And yet she voted for J.B. Pritzker because she said, "He's better than Rauner because Rauner didn't do anything good and ran the state into the HOLE!"

Many 'Millennials' don't know anything more than what is said on Farcebook or what they read on Google sites!

As a millennial, the frustration runs deeper than you know. Most of my peers are gun owners, and do go to the range - but they are very progressive. JB Pritzker was reaction to Rauner, and Rauner being weak. Personally, it's really sad to see the people I work with not get involved politically, or see them vote progressive. Illinois has been 'tolerable' in terms of gun laws for me, but I guess we'll see what happens next year, won't we? The problem, as I see it, there is no outreach in Cook County - especially in the suburbs. Most people in my town, don't know that guns are legal to own in Illinois and my local library had someone come in and talk about the conceal carry law here in Illinois, and believe me you - it was packed and the crowd was very astonished and interested. Unfortunately for me, Moylan got re-elected in my district, oh well - you can't cure stupid people.

Before you leave, check out the taxes in other states.

Many states don't tax SS benefits - including Illinois. Only a few don't tax SS and have no income tax. Those are FL, TX, TN, SD, WY, NV, & WA.

However, sales taxes are another matter. The TOP THREE states with the highest sales taxes are TN, LA, & AR. Of the states listed above, those are #28, #12, #1, #31, #44, #13, #4.

AZ doesn't tax SS but DOES have an income tax. Their sales tax is also comes out at #11.

FYI

As a millennial, the frustration runs deeper than you know. Most of my peers are gun owners, and do go to the range - but they are very progressive. JB Pritzker was reaction to Rauner, and Rauner being weak. Personally, it's really sad to see the people I work with not get involved politically, or see them vote progressive. Illinois has been 'tolerable' in terms of gun laws for me, but I guess we'll see what happens next year, won't we? The problem, as I see it, there is no outreach in Cook County - especially in the suburbs. Most people in my town, don't know that guns are legal to own in Illinois and my local library had someone come in and talk about the conceal carry law here in Illinois, and believe me you - it was packed and the crowd was very astonished and interested. Unfortunately for me, Moylan got re-elected in my district, oh well - you can't cure stupid people.

All I can say to people who criticized Rauner's record (excluding the publicly funded abortion thing - which is something else all on it's own) is how do you expect a Republican governor to get ANYTHING done in a state completely controlled by Democrats?! Illinois has been completely controlled by the Democrats for years now and the state keeps going further and further in debt. What kind of moron expects that Pritzker and the very same Democrats are NOW GOING TO TURN THINGS AROUND?! How stupid can people be?!

Many states don't tax SS benefits - including Illinois. Only a few don't tax SS and have no income tax. Those are FL, TX, TN, SD, WY, NV, & WA.

However, sales taxes are another matter. The TOP THREE states with the highest sales taxes are TN, LA, & AR. Of the states listed above, those are #28, #12, #1, #31, #44, #13, #4.

AZ doesn't tax SS but DOES have an income tax. Their sales tax is also comes out at #11.

FYI

Now THAT is good intel!! We could use a thread that just compares how states stack up.

For instance. . . . Wisconsin's property tax is HIGHER that Illinois! Why would you want to make a move to a state that not only just tossed out their Republican governor who was turning the state around and creating jobs AND has a HIGHER property tax than Illinois?

All I can say to people who criticized Rauner's record (excluding the publicly funded abortion thing - which is something else all on it's own) is how do you expect a Republican governor to get ANYTHING done in a state completely controlled by Democrats?! Illinois has been completely controlled by the Democrats for years now and the state keeps going further and further in debt. What kind of moron expects that Pritzker and the very same Democrats are NOW GOING TO TURN THINGS AROUND?! How stupid can people be?!

I think we are getting an answer to that - BUT it seems some people take that question as a challenge. A race to the bottom.

FYI

New Hampshire!

No income tax, no sales tax. Property tax rates vary by town/school district (the worst/highest rates are equivalent to Illinois average). Stiff lodging and meals tax (whack the tourists!).

“Limited government” outlook yields a very low tax burden. Overall tax burden on NH residents is typically in lowest 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI

Now THAT is good intel!! We could use a thread that just compares how states stack up.

For instance. . . . Wisconsin's property tax is HIGHER that Illinois! Why would you want to make a move to a state that not only just tossed out their Republican governor who was turning the state around and creating jobs AND has a HIGHER property tax than Illinois?

I’ve lived in WI and MN. Both pretty gun friendly. Both are socially and politically progressive. While I cringed at the taxes I paid, I was very happy with the outcomes. In both, I had great public schools, great roads, great quality of life stuff (parks, trails,etc.).

Basically I paid for a a nice steak dinner and got a nice ribeye. In Illinois, I pay for the steak dinner and get a White Castle slider.

If you want smaller and responsive state/local government, New Hampshire is a sane place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If cancer takes my wife, I may consider a move. It depends on what JB, Madigan, Cullerton and their evil minions decide to pass for laws in their wrongminded, mistaken solutions to gun gang violence, murder and crime here in Illinois.

Buzzard, you stated my exact feelings. We make good money here, but the state and county take it. As soon and if they go after my toys, then the whole family is gone leaving others to pay for these idiotic laws and taxes. B.J, a "man" of the people my behind! Heck, I could save 20k+ not having to send my favorite thing to private school where she actually learns things that matter, not the left leaning b.s. CPS teaches today!

This exactly. It's not just the 2A issues, though they are important. It is the state as a whole. I was born here, and except for a few years spent in Missouri, have lived here my entire life. I have a good job and make a good income. However, I could take a 10% pay cut to move to TN or TX and still be money ahead just because of the taxes. And it isn't going to get better. JB loves taxes like a fat kid loves cake (pun intended), and the Democrat SUPERMAJORITY General Assembly never saw a tax they didn't like. Plus my local area is talking about raising a few different levies on our property taxes. Leaving aside the 2A issues, I may soon not be able to AFFORD to stay here.

Assuming that your progressive gun-owner peers voted for Pritzker, do you know their stance on firearm ownership in general? Are they willing to sacrifice those rights in favor of whatever positives they perceive the Democrats have to offer?

My point exactly. I tried convincing my family about this, explaining Rauner was the lesser of two evils, but conservatives just have to conserve another victory for the left on a hill that is already not worth dying on anymore. Watch for Pritzker to expand the age for abortion, watch him lower it to 15 and then get back to me on how evil Rauner is.

Assuming that your progressive gun-owner peers voted for Pritzker, do you know their stance on firearm ownership in general? Are they willing to sacrifice those rights in favor of whatever positives they perceive the Democrats have to offer?

A lot of these people just are not aware of the work that has been done, legally in the courts or otherwise. What most downstate people fail to grasp, is that my generation got it's firearm education primarily through video games, I'm the exception, I shot a pistol at age 9 and got started with airsoft and paintball. Many of my peer group really do not like social conservatism, they see it as not cool or hip. So how do you appeal to this group? focus on the power structure. When I explain to them how Madigan runs things, and how the Chicago machine owns all the levers of government in this state - they can agree we need reform. I doubt they would turn their guns in, however. Remember, millennials grew up seeing the government wage pointless wars (Iraq) came of age in a terrible economy (Obummer years) and some of us can remember the small glimpses of flying before the days of TSA being legally. Some of us can remember how awesome it was before social justice warriors started ruining pop culture and society, in that sense, we are a silent majority because n many instances, getting a job out of college means towing the progressive line and giving lip service because these are the people who will be hiring you, as a millennial in this state.

Also, these are the people who buy guns at 'Dicks' and 'Cabelas'. When I mention to my peers that I have an 03 FFL, and can get guns shipped to my door, they think I'm some sort of John Wick, and that's just downright sad. We don't have to agree on politics, but we can agree the second amendment means being able to buy and carry any firearm you deem necessary for your own personal defense. When I explain to these people, that I can get police trade-in guns for half the price of a new gun, and when I show them my collection, they get apprehensive from lacking that knowledge - from not knowing the laws for transferring guns. They also had no clue you could buy an AR-15, or AK-47 in Illinois.

So what approach should be taken? Stop, for the love of all that is good, stop focusing on social issues and focus on economic and power aspects. Whether that is telling inner city blacks the cops will be able to shoot more bullets than they will under an AWB, and not restricted to firearm types; or in my case, telling highly educated people that the government wants working and middle class disarmed because it means more control - this is how you make the case.

I'm under no illusion that Democrats want to take all the guns away. They've been trying that since Jim Crow. The more I think about this, the more apt I am to start a FB/Twitter/Insta page and just start recruiting people and making videos to educate. One more point though. It's very difficult in Cook County, among our age group (millennials), to come out and say we support the second amendment and even more so, if we're in a progressive school - tell our entire class that we shoot guns at the range (I myself have never come out, because there are people who can get put on a 'watch list' due to the school shooting hysteria). We've got to focus on cobbling together opposition from downstate democrats, and we've got to do more outreach in working class communities and even suburban ones. Most people are not anti-gun, but they also are not pro-gun - if you give them a brief overview of the laws, and stay away from trigger words like 'NRA', and just give a history of the laws - they might be receptive to our plight.

I will do what I can to oppose the anti's, but I'm done with Illinois if I can get a job outside this state - it's that simple.

FYI

Good info! Sadly I will be in IL for the next decade or so, but I've been keeping my eye on Wyoming. I have my wife half convinced and since she hates IL politics as much as I do, I think I can eventually convince her!

Until then, I'm here to keep the fight going for our rights in IL.

I now have the wife entirely on board to get out of this state. Just being able to afford the repairs and updates that are needed to this house so we can put it up for sale. I have convinced the wife to move to montanta or wyoming, as long as i get a good paying job out there. But the more likly will be lake county indiana. Doable drive to my current job, still with in range of family and friends. She doesn't want to pull our 2 kids away from their grandparents, family, and friends. And i understand that. Atleast Indiana is close. Will probably happen after #2 is born in end feb early march when wife is looking for a new job on maternity. Hope to find something out there for her.

Finishing a 1000 square foot patio, hoping that adds to resale.

wDIDBUL.jpg

8SBTTW1.jpg

My wife has agreed to leave as long as we can find good schools for the kids and a good competitive dance company for my daughter. Because of her work it would likely be Wisconsin, which although it has been a purple state seems solid on the 2nd.

Having said that it would not be immediate and I will continue to help out and support the fight and see exactly what happens in the coming year. Frankly it's about more then the 2nd. If the tide has really flipped in the state--if we are going full CA or NY or NJ--it's a losing proposition to stay here if you are any sort of producer. I would imagine (and as is typically the case) the definition of "millionaire" for any progressive tax scheme usually starts with household incomes over $100-$150K. That's the deal they don't want to let out, though Ezra Klein once did a piece on it for Vox. While millionaires and billionaires have huge individual sums of money, the vast UNTAPPED pocket of wealth is the middle class at about $150K or so household income.

My wife has agreed to leave as long as we can find good schools for the kids and a good competitive dance company for my daughter. Because of her work it would likely be Wisconsin, which although it has been a purple state seems solid on the 2nd.

Having said that it would not be immediate and I will continue to help out and support the fight and see exactly what happens in the coming year. Frankly it's about more then the 2nd. If the tide has really flipped in the state--if we are going full CA or NY or NJ--it's a losing proposition to stay here if you are any sort of producer. I would imagine (and as is typically the case) the definition of "millionaire" for any progressive tax scheme usually starts with household incomes over $100-$150K. That's the deal they don't want to let out, though Ezra Klein once did a piece on it for Vox. While millionaires and billionaires have huge individual sums of money, the vast UNTAPPED pocket of wealth is the middle class at about $150K or so household income.

Sweden is often touted as the answer. They tax even the poorest of their population at much higher rates than we do in the United States. I believe what would commonly be called "middle class" is paying out about 60% of their income in taxes.

Unless you are stuck in the suburbs of Chicago you might be surprised at the results.

Most of us in downstate find that when comparing the cost of living between here and most any of the places mentioned in this thread we’re better off here — by a long shot.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/

Archived