Elmhurst Advice?

jagt48

I grew up in Lombard, which is very close to Elmhurst.

Elmhurst is very nice. Expensive, though. The downtown is old school. There's an old movie theater that's been fully restored. There are little shops and restaurants. There are plenty of doctor's offices and a world-class hospital. It's close to highways and there is a train station downtown too.

That being said, be aware that DuPage is becoming more and more liberal. If you're able to afford to live in Elmhurst, money is probably not one of your problems. Consider Lake County.

Overall, Elmhurst gives a high quality of life.

I drove right by Hamburger Heaven. It looked right up my alley. I will have to head back when they open. My BIL lives not too far from there.

There was some mention of heading up to Lake in the thread. Honestly I would like that more. When I looked at a couple of places online in Buffalo Grove I could have sworn that taxes were much higher. Taking a look again they are more comparable to what I was expecting to pay wherever we move. I'd also like being closer to Wisconsin for weekend camping, etc.

I don't think DuPage is becoming more liberal so much as the last census allowed the maps to be rejiggered so that I land in a democratic district for state senate that includes both cook and dupage. Every other political district I'm in is solidly republican. Go figure.

Unfortunately DuPage County is no longer the deep red it was in my childhood (grew up here). It is now strongly purple (e.g. about evenly mixed). DuPage voted for Hillary last election. :Crying. =-(:

That said, Lake County is even more liberal. Lots of limousine liberals there and lots of anti-gun towns and areas in Lake...

Good thing they can't pass any more "bad" laws then! My biggest concern from up that way is the commute for my wife to Downtown. I'd be fine down the in southwest suburbs, but I'm not seeing any express trains for her. Going to Union Station first and then taking the CTA for another fifteen minutes sounds annoying. That's a plus for coming in from the west.

Going to Union Station first and then taking the CTA for another fifteen minutes sounds annoying. That's a plus for coming in from the west.

Union Station and Ogilvie are so close as to not matter. The northern entrance for Union is literally across the street from the southern entrance to Ogilvie. And even the "bulk" of the stations are only 2 blocks apart. So "which station" your train comes into should be a non-issue. I used to go into Ogilvie, and then switched to Union (northern set of tracks) after I moved many years ago. It added about 2 min to my walking commute... If you're in the southern set of tracks, add an additional 2 min to that...

Union Station to Millennium park isn't that much farther.

Still very walkable.

Divvy bike memberships are like $70 a year and they've introduced protected bike lanes to most of the loop. It's really not a bad option spring to fall.

IMO its an option all year long. Being cold is a choice. Proper clothing is the only differential.

I live in Elmhurst and am happy to provide any advice. Yes, it's expensive and it's sellers' market. Flooding, air traffic, and more recently residential burglaries are causing some chatter. The town is as 2A friendly as Hinsdale or Wheaton (most comparable towns). There are some places that are posted and more than half of them are required due to alcohol (wine places). I never had a problem getting magazines or ammo shipped directly to my house. Police is also very good but some claim that they are bored and maybe a bit jumpy (can't really agree or disagree on that one though I did get a warning for going 26 in 25 zone).

There are at least 2 organizations in Elmhurst working to further women's rights and Democracy. The latter (action for better tomorrow) is rabidly anti-Republican and attempted to push some dealer licensing like laws mandating who knows what on FFLs. The city also has some silly rules on BB guns, discharging, carrying firearms. Obviously the last two are rubbish.

I live in a town next to Elmhurst and know lots of people who live/have lived in Elmhurst. It's a nice area, but pretty expensive. The south side of Elmhurst seems to be the nicer part; the north side is where most of the air traffic issues are. If you're living close to the train station you will be in a nice area. The police are most concerned with DUI's and traffic citations; they love giving out parking tickets too. You mentioned you're interested in schools - Their high school is one of the nicest in the area, but has a heroin problem (no one else mentioned it so i thought it's worth noting). I don't know enough about the elementary or middle schools to comment.

Villa Park and Lombard are nice towns and a little bit cheaper. Worth a look if you don't want to pay Elmhurst prices. We're pretty pro-2A in Villa Park, but like anywhere in IL it will be a mix. I never have issues ordering ammo online or having online purchases sent to my FFL. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions.

My son is only 11 months, so we are more concerned with elementary schools. I hadn't even thought about drug problems. Hopefully by that time we will have headed west for either greener pastures or snowy mountains. We've gotten busy lately and have slowed down the home search. I'm honestly thinking that Lombard/Downers/Villa Park is where we will end up. We just need to find time to actually go look actually more places.

I think overall home prices are much different between Elmhurst and Villa Park. If you could find something good in Elmhurst and get on it rather fast then you're golden as it really is seller's market and will likely stay that way. Just be cautious of homes with flooding issues. In Elmhurst you definitely don't want to live anywhere near a street drain as that is your lowest spot and everyone's water will be going to you eventually pooling by the drains. And of course some part of the property should be sloped away...you'd be surprised how many are storm water traps, no way out in front or back.

If you end up buying in Elmhurst let me know in what area and I'll gladly let you know if there's a flood issue.

I think overall home prices are much different between Elmhurst and Villa Park. If you could find something good in Elmhurst and get on it rather fast then you're golden as it really is seller's market and will likely stay that way. Just be cautious of homes with flooding issues. In Elmhurst you definitely don't want to live anywhere near a street drain as that is your lowest spot and everyone's water will be going to you eventually pooling by the drains. And of course some part of the property should be sloped away...you'd be surprised how many are storm water traps, no way out in front or back.

If you end up buying in Elmhurst let me know in what area and I'll gladly let you know if there's a flood issue.

Elmhurst has done a lot of flood remediation in the worst areas. Nothing is foolproof but every little bit helps.

Just remember the three most important decision makers in buying a home in Elmhurst, "Altitude, altitude, altitude'.

Elmhurst has done a lot of flood remediation in the worst areas. Nothing is foolproof but every little bit helps.

Just remember the three most important decision makers in buying a home in Elmhurst, "Altitude, altitude, altitude'.

I thought that was Des Plaines. Between the airport and the river you want to be as high as possible without getting your roof clipped by a 737.

I thought that was Des Plaines. Between the airport and the river you want to be as high as possible without getting your roof clipped by a 737.

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen.

Archived