Finding Chicago/Cook-friendly dealers on Gunbroker

Illini2A312

Hi all,

Probably going to start looking to buy from Gunbroker soon as most online stores I've looked at are picked clean in terms of firearms. One place I've looked at said they'd only ship shotguns (no rifles or pistols) to Chicago/Cook (don't know if they'd go off of billing or FOID address regardless of where the receiving FFL is), others detailed that it is on the buyer to know their state/local laws.

Would anyone have any advice/be willing to share experience dealing with this? Is it usually worth taking the time to visit the dealer's actual website (off of Gunbroker) to figure this out?

Thanks all!

I think the sellers just don't want to risk having to eat the return shipping charges if the transferring FFL denies the shipment because the firearm is banned.

While many vendors simply state "no sales to Illinois" (and assorted other places), because they don't want to have to figure out the patchwork of state/county/municipal laws, I remember one vendor (can't recall which one) who explicitly stated "We ship anywhere in the continental US, even to places with stupid laws."

I browse GunBroker and ArmsList a bit, but I've never bought off them. FWIW, I do frequently look at the seller web sites (if they exist) when I can.

I live in Cook County and Chicago. I have made numerous purchases online including stripped lowers but always use actual dealer web sites. I have bought from CDNN Sports, Grab A Gun, JoeBob Outfitters and numerous others. I have only had problems purchasing from Palmetto State Armory and Buds Gun Shop. I never had an issue but I have seen where Grab A Gun has sometimes balked when selling guns that have "high capacity" mags and will still sell the gun but remove that mags. I will always check the different websites to see what restrictions they have. If I see any restriction about Cook County, Chicago, or even Illinois, I skip past that dealer. I will admit that right now, there are slim pickens with the insane demand for firearms. I have had great results using https://gun.deals/to comparison shop. If I came across a dealer that wont ship to my regular FFL who also does his transfers inside Cook County, I never had a problem finding another business that will and usually at a similar or at least decent price.

Archived