Photo

Question on CCL in Cook co but not Chicago

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flw

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:28 AM

I drive for a living and often cross back and forth between counties without being aware. Since I'm licensed out side of outside of Cook and do not work in Cook, do I need to download my mags to less than 10 rngs just in case I cross over into Cook Co  while working?  Also is a 15 rnd mag downloaded meet the req of the CCL good to go or not?

Same question can go for Chicago.

Thanks for helping me with this clarification.

#2 BobPistol

• Members
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:58 AM

The consensus on this board is that magazines for handguns are regulated by the state, so Crook County's magazine restrictions do not apply.    

I also don't know what you mean by " Also is a 15 rnd mag downloaded meet the req of the CCL"

Edited by BobPistol, 04 April 2017 - 04:59 AM.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#3 gangrel

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:46 AM

Preemption language in the FCCA states that all laws pertaining to the carrying and trasnportation of a handgun by the holder of a FCCL is the exclusive power of the state.  As for Cook County, most of understand the AWB and capacity limits to only be in force outside of home rule entities, mainly unincorporated Cook County.  However, you will need to make your own decisions on that one.

That being said, if you believe the magazine capacity ordinances to be in effect, simply loading a 17 round magazine with 10 rounds does not make you compliant.  The magazine must either have the requisite capacity or be permanently modified to meet the capacity restriction.  The ordinance has to do with the capacity of the magazine, not with how many rounds you have it loaded with.

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

#4 soundguy

• 4,439 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

I also believe only the state can regulate mag capacity.

Just stay out of trouble.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#5 quackersmacker

• 1,181 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

Preemption language in the FCCA states that all laws pertaining to the carrying and trasnportation of a handgun by the holder of a FCCL is the exclusive power of the state.  As for Cook County, most of understand the AWB and capacity limits to only be in force outside of home rule entities, mainly unincorporated Cook County.  However, you will need to make your own decisions on that one.

That being said, if you believe the magazine capacity ordinances to be in effect, simply loading a 17 round magazine with 10 rounds does not make you compliant.  The magazine must either have the requisite capacity or be permanently modified to meet the capacity restriction.  The ordinance has to do with the capacity of the magazine, not with how many rounds you have it loaded with.

Exquisitely stated!

Life Member --- NRA

Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation

Member        --- ISRA

Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]

Member        --- Aurora Sportsmen's Club

Member        --- Tri County Gun Club

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#6 ScottFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

I drive for a living and often cross back and forth between counties without being aware. Since I'm licensed out side of outside of Cook and do not work in Cook, do I need to download my mags to less than 10 rngs just in case I cross over into Cook Co  while working?  Also is a 15 rnd mag downloaded meet the req of the CCL good to go or not?

Same question can go for Chicago.

Thanks for helping me with this clarification.

It has been covered in this thread. But here is a legal opinion from the Illinois State Bar Association 

"The new law completely preempts local concealed carry laws and the regulation, licensing, possession, and registration of handguns and their ammunition as applied to concealed carry licensees and FOID card holders.18Any local entity's attempt to regulate these areas will be voided.

The Act also chips away at local control over firearms issues that are not directly related to concealed carry. The state now has exclusive authority to regulate transportation of any firearm or ammunition by FOID card holders. The state now has exclusive authority to regulate transporation of any firearm or ammunition by FOID card holders, even if they do not have a CCL.19 Thus, local entities can no longer regulate transportation of any firearm."

https://www.isba.org...ncealedcarrylaw

I think that is very clear now. 

--

Beer, it's the reason I get out of bed every afternoon!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users