Wilson v. Cook County (Semi-Auto Gun Ban)

Tvandermyde

Excellent, thanks for your post. Has your company already donated to ISRA or IllinoisCarry? If yes, thanks and maybe donate again, please. Otherwise, can you bring some bucks to the table with a donation? Just asking, thanks for your posts.

Indeed they have! Fidelity is one of our sponsors - see banner ad above!

Molly B.

On another off-topic note, related, Fidelity was featured in a story on NPR/WBEZ this morning:

http://www.wbez.org/story/5-months-after-gun-ban-eliminated

It was a followup about what's come since the CFP... pretty unremarkable story though on the part of WBEZ (i thought there was a lot more they could have talked about - or really emphasized).

It was a followup about what's come since the CFP... pretty unremarkable story though on the part of WBEZ (i thought there was a lot more they could have talked about - or really emphasized).

Yes, but to most any reader or listener of the story, it reinforces the notion that Chicago is full of hot air (and other, unnamed substances). The notion that Chicago/Daley whined and screamed and wet their pants about this handgun ban thing, only now to admit (by their actions) that it isn't any big deal.

Articles like that make Chicago's leaders look like petty fools.

They will find that same thing (it's no big deal after all) once right to carry becomes law of the land.

Yes, but to most any reader or listener of the story, it reinforces the notion that Chicago is full of hot air (and other, unnamed substances). The notion that Chicago/Daley whined and screamed and wet their pants about this handgun ban thing, only now to admit (by their actions) that it isn't any big deal.

Articles like that make Chicago's leaders look like petty fools.

You're right. I guess I was just hoping they'd hit a little harder, and draw more attention to their foolishness.

By the way, I just re-visited that story, and now there's 2 comments there, both very positive. ;) Which was surprising since I expected only anti-gun comments.

Edit: And just threw one in there myself. Any little step that helps the people Chicago start to become comfortable with law-abiding citizens carrying firearms, and helps them to see the idiocy of Daley and Chicago with regards to firearms restrictions.

Will the court fall for this?

I find it interesting they ignore all premises in Heller except the finding specific to Heller. All the reasoning, facts, explanations and statements contained in the majority opinion are not recognized at all by Cook County.

The authority to prohibit weapons in Cook County is based on terms and definitions made up by Cook County. "Rapid fire", "dangerous assault weapon" and "high capacity". Their take on Heller can be used to ban all long guns because the were not mentioned in the findings. If "rapid fire" semiautomatics can be banned so can revolvers that can be fired faster that semi autos by trained persons.

Talk about common sense. Post McDonald will the trial courts second chance to get it right?

In the County's brief, I just noticed they make a lot of references to "common handguns," arguing that's all they're not allowed to ban - completely ignoring the fact that the Miller precedent had nothing to do with handguns, but rather *firearms* in common use at the time. They took the Heller ruling saying you can't ban "common handguns" because they are a "firearms in common use" - and grabbed that "common handguns" out of context. If I, someone with zero legal expertise, can see this deception clear as day... you better believe the judge can see it. Now we just have to wait and see if the judge will let fact and law dictate her actions.

They also like to make a few references to "dangerous and unusual". It's like they're hoping if they repeat these terms over and over, they will magically come true.

I'd like to see them try to argue that AR and similar semi-automatical civilian rifles are not "in common use", or that they are "dangerous and unusual".

they will rule against us. I wish i could go to the judges and show them the diference in an automatic from a semi-automatic.

I dont even know why its called semi. it isnt automatic at all.

You notice how many times they make reference to "in the home" as if that the only place the constitution allows us to possess firearms. How do they ignore the words "such as"

I like raisins in my food such as my salad. Does that mean I only like raisins in my salad?

Heh. The first comment by Brian was mine. :D

The reporter in that story seemed interested in doing an ongoing series of stories. He also seemed interested in sitting in on a course and learn more about RTC. We provided some good legal reference materiel (read McDonald v. City of Chicago) and some UCR crime statistics to prove our point. Let's see what comes of this.

Anita Alvarez easily presents a convinceable argument to keep Americans disarmed. Does she see the inverse of her "armed mayhem" ? If govt needs to prevent "armed mayhem", then do we the people need to prevent armed mayhem upon us by the govt ? According to Alvarez, preventing "armed mayhem" is important. I agree.

She repeatedly refers to the govt's need to protect the public, but never says anything about the public's need to protect itself from the govt (with assault weapons).

The 2nd amendment is not about self defense in the home. It is about self defense from the govt.

Govt is always our worst enemy.

The only purpose of the 2nd amendment is to prohibit the govt from regulating weapons.

She repeatedly refers to the govt's need to protect the public, but never says anything about the public's need to protect itself from the govt (with assault weapons).

What's sad, is that the guns in the ban aren't any more dangerous, and aren't used by any military force in the world. They are in common use for sport and hunting. Banning guns just because they have a military look about them is outrageous.

What's sad, is that the guns in the ban aren't any more dangerous, and aren't used by any military force in the world. They are in common use for sport and hunting. Banning guns just because they have a military look about them is outrageous.

It's a good thing that Thomas Jefferson isn't alive today and posting his quotes on the internet, one like

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson

or "The spirit of resistance to government is valuable on certain occasions that I wish it always be kept alive" Thomas Jefferson

A quote by George Washington seems a little like Saturdaynightspecials

"Government is not reason, it is not elequent, it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

I'm sure today some quotes by the founding fathers might get them on a homeland security watch list today.

Anita Alvarez easily presents a convinceable argument to keep Americans disarmed. Does she see the inverse of her "armed mayhem" ? If govt needs to prevent "armed mayhem", then do we the people need to prevent armed mayhem upon us by the govt ? According to Alvarez, preventing "armed mayhem" is important. I agree.

The 2nd amendment is not about self defense in the home. It is about self defense from the govt.

Govt is always our worst enemy.

The only purpose of the 2nd amendment is to prohibit the govt from regulating weapons.

Woosh! I'm sorry I missed the edited part! Good so far though.

IMO, no two people share the same values. We are all at least slightly different.

I KNOW who are the most, and the largest, antigun group of Amerikanos.

And, police don't keep us safe, they make us less safe because they allow govt (our worst enemy) to enforce gun control laws that leave us defenseless.

Full auto or semiauto rifles are needed by us to protect ourselves from Anita Alvarez, the police and the Cook County Sheriff and Deputies (that's why they included the 2nd amendment).

Quick update.

The Plaintiff's motion to strike the amended Defendant's brief, DENIED. No matter that it still contains misquotes of cites and that the County used their "mistake" in the original brief, to violate the court's rules and add addtional arguments in their "correction". I understand it was only signed by one Judge, Justice Murphy, but I have not actually seen the court's reply at this time. If necessary, I'll make corrections to this post when I actually get a copy of the court's order.

Thanks to everyone for their support.

Don Moran

Quick update. [...text elided...]

... If necessary, I'll make corrections to this post when I actually get a copy of the court's order...

Don Moran

Thank you Sir. Respect to your work at ISRA. Please post here with information that is safe to share (ISRA surely has strategies that are sensitive). As Sigma said, I too am surprised that the court, when presented with falsified statements (intentionally misquoting the Supreme Court), would do anything other than strike and reject those statements. It's not clear to me why any representative of the justice system can get a "do over" if they are shown to have presented falsified information to the court.

HR

Thank you very much for the welcome Howard.

Strategy... there has never been an expectation of a favorable decision anywhere below the Illinois Supreme Court.

The plaintiff's attorneys have made and will continue to make strong and honest arguments based on the law. Each time the Justices make decisions that are obviously contrary to the law, logic, and fairness, it mearly delays and runs up the bill for both sides. Rulings like this only go towards strengthening our case on appeal.

Just like most of you, I am not surprised one bit by the oppositions filings or the rulings of the court, we are after all playing in their sandbox. Eventually, we'll be outside the reach of Cook County politics and with the continued help of all of our members and contributers, we'll win this fight!

Quick update. [...text elided...]

... If necessary, I'll make corrections to this post when I actually get a copy of the court's order...

Don Moran

Thank you Sir. Respect to your work at ISRA. Please post here within information that is safe and lawful to share (ISRA surely has strategies that are sensitive). As Sigma said, I too am surprised that the court, when presented with falsified statements (intentionally misquoting the Supreme Court), would do anything other than strike and reject those statements. It's not clear to me why any representative of the justice system can get a "do over" if they are shown to have presented falsified information to the court.

HR

Mr. Moran, thanks for your kind words. Will the plaintiffs in this case be able to perform discovery to determine whether the direct mis-quotations of the Supreme Court Heller decision were intentional?

I'm not a lawyer yet I can see that the direct quotation of Heller on page 1 of Anita Alverez's States Attorney Office brief missing from the United States Supreme Court's Heller case. Much worse is the fact that the entire argument presented in Cook County's brief is based on that false quote.

I'm sure you agree that The Illinois Bar Association is probably interested to know if lawyers knowingly lie in court. Shouldn't the court allow discovery interviews of Anita's office to ameliorate the harm already done to our side in this case?

P.S. Please accept this small gift of appreciation for your fine work with the ISRA. This non-copyrighted, improved version of your likeness is presented to you for any Seasonal purpose you see fit.

post-2246-12928260573.jpg

Strategy... there has never been an expectation of a favorable decision anywhere below the Illinois Supreme Court.

The plaintiff's attorneys have made and will continue to make strong and honest arguments based on the law. Each time the Justices make decisions that are obviously contrary to the law, logic, and fairness, it mearly delays and runs up the bill for both sides. Rulings like this only go towards strengthening our case on appeal.

Just like most of you, I am not surprised one bit by the oppositions filings or the rulings of the court, we are after all playing in their sandbox. Eventually, we'll be outside the reach of Cook County politics and with the continued help of all of our members and contributers, we'll win this fight!

Thanks for all. :yes1:

Welcome Don!! And thanks for your comments re: the ongoing court case. Hope to see you post often regarding all the court cases pending here in the Prairie State. You help to give us a different perspective.

I shudder to think what the press and the antis would do to us if our side were to try to add words to a Supreme Court decision to further our agenda!!

Sic 'em!! Let's get this to the Supreme of IL and get a proper ruling on it!!

AB

Archived