Medical Marijuana And Concealed Carry

BIGDEESUL

There are people out there that claim marijuana cures cancer, and all other sorts of stuff, but I've not seen anything definitive out there that suggests that this is true, but what I have read is the many stories that show that it does in fact have a medicinal value that is being ignored.
As a schedule I controlled substance legitimate medical research is also pretty much prohibited, so companies can't legally find out what medical uses it may or may not haveSent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

There are people out there that claim marijuana cures cancer, and all other sorts of stuff, but I've not seen anything definitive out there that suggests that this is true, but what I have read is the many stories that show that it does in fact have a medicinal value that is being ignored.
As a schedule I controlled substance legitimate medical research is also pretty much prohibited, so companies can't legally find out what medical uses it may or may not have Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Researchers are trying though. Here is a good example of the obstacles. Dr Sanjay Gupta Weed 3

https://youtu.be/H-KxKfljQ1A

There are people out there that claim marijuana cures cancer, and all other sorts of stuff, but I've not seen anything definitive out there that suggests that this is true, but what I have read is the many stories that show that it does in fact have a medicinal value that is being ignored. As a schedule I controlled substance legitimate medical research is also pretty much prohibited, so companies can't legally find out what medical uses it may or may not haveSent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Actually, it seems to be just the opposite. There's quite a bit of research being done.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gquery/?term=marijuanahttp://norml.org/component/zoo/category/recent-research-on-medical-marijuana

Recent Research on Medical MarijuanaDespite the US government's nearly century-long prohibition of the plant, cannabis is nonetheless one of the most investigated therapeutically active substances in history. To date, there are approximately 22,000 published studies or reviews in the scientific literature referencing the cannabis plant and its cannabinoids, nearly half of which were published within the ten years according to a key word search on the search engine PubMed Central, the US government repository for peer-reviewed scientific research. While much of the renewed interest in cannabinoid therapeutics is a result of the discovery of the endocannabinoid regulatory system (which is described in detail later in this booklet), some of this increased attention is also due to the growing body of testimonials from medical cannabis patients and their physicians.The scientific conclusions of the overwhelmingly majority of modern research directly conflicts with the federal government's stance that cannabis is a highly dangerous substance worthy of absolute criminalization.For example, in February 2010 investigators at the University of California Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research publicly announced thefindings of a series of randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials on the medical utility of inhaled cannabis. The studies, which utilized the so-called 'gold standard' FDA clinical trial design, concluded that marijuana ought to be a "first line treatment" for patients with neuropathy and other serious illnesses.Several of studies conducted by the Center assessed smoked marijuana's ability to alleviate neuropathic pain, a notoriously difficult to treat type of nerve pain associated with cancer, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, spinal cord injury and many other debilitating conditions. Each of the trials found that cannabis consistently reduced patients' pain levels to a degree that was as good or better than currently available medications.Another study conducted by the Center's investigators assessed the use of marijuana as a treatment for patients suffering from multiple sclerosis. That study determined that "smoked cannabis was superior to placebo in reducing spasticity and pain in patients with MS, and provided some benefit beyond currently prescribed treatments."A summary of the Center's clinical trials, published in 2012 in the Open Neurology Journal, concluded: "Evidence is accumulating that cannabinoids may be useful medicine for certain indications. ... The classification of marijuana as a Schedule I drug as well as the continuing controversy as to whether or not cannabis is of medical value are obstacles to medical progress in this area. Based on evidence currently available the Schedule I classification is not tenable; it is not accurate that cannabis has no medical value, or that information on safety is lacking."Around the globe, similarly controlled trials are also taking place. A 2010 review by researchers in Germany reports that since 2005 there have been 37 controlled studies assessing the safety and efficacy of marijuana and its naturally occurring compounds in a total of 2,563 subjects. By contrast, many FDA-approved drugs go through far fewer trials involving far fewer subjects. In fact, according a 2014 review paperpublished in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the median number of pivotal trials performed prior to FDA drug approval is no more than two and over one-third of newly approved pharmaceuticals are brought to market on the basis of only a single pivotal trial.As clinical research into the therapeutic value of cannabinoids has proliferated so too has investigators' understanding of cannabis' remarkable capability to combat disease. Whereas researchers in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s primarily assessed cannabis' ability to temporarily alleviate various disease symptoms -- such as the nausea associated with cancer chemotherapy -- scientists today are exploring the potential role of cannabinoids to modify disease.Of particular interest, scientists are investigating cannabinoids' capacity to moderate autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease, as well as their role in the treatment of neurological disorders such asAlzheimer's disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (a.k.a. Lou Gehrig's disease.) In 2009, the American Medical Association (AMA)resolved "that marijuana's status as a federal Schedule I controlled substance be reviewed with the goal of facilitating the conduct of clinical research and development of cannabinoid-based medicines."Investigators are also studying the anti-canceractivities of cannabis, as a growing body of preclinical and clinical data concludes that cannabinoids can reduce the spread of specific cancer cells via apoptosis (programmed cell death) and by the inhibition of angiogenesis (the formation of new blood vessels).Researchers are also exploring the use of cannabis as a harm reduction alternative for chronic pain patients. According to the findings of a 2015 study published by the National Bureau of Economic Research, a non-partisan think-tank, "tates permitting medical marijuana dispensaries experience a relative decrease in both opioid addictions and opioid overdose deaths compared to states that do not." The NBER findings are similar to those published in 2014 in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Internal Medicinewhich also reported that the enactment of statewide medicinal marijuana laws is associated with significantly lower state-level opioid overdose mortality rates. "States with medical cannabis laws had a 24.8 percent lower mean annual opioid overdose mortality rate compared with states without medical cannabis laws," researchers concluded. Specifically, they determined that overdose deaths from opioids decreased by an average of 20 percent one year after the law's implementation, 25 percent by two years, and up to 33 percent by years five and six.Arguably, these recent discoveries represent far broader and more significant applications for cannabinoid therapeutics than many researchers could have imagined some thirty or even twenty years ago.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

I just received my mmj card this October. I have FOID and CCW from IL. I have not had an issues except for the following.

I applied for my mmj card in May. After that, I purchased a number of guns from online auctions. I submitted for background check with my local FFL and it was pended for over 3 weeks. They ran again and still pended. I have attempted to contact isp, but no response. The FFL is not giving me any options, but my understanding is that they could release at their discretion after 3 days of pended if they wanted. I have purchased several guns at once like this before and never had any issues. The longest my check has ever waited is couple hours.

If someone could offer me some advice or information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thnx

The true costs of legalization IMHO are 1) the huge tax revenue possibility and 2) emptying prisons of MJ offenders ...

1) More money for cronies.

2) Less expenses spent on prisons which can be funneled to cronies. More money for cronies. DO NOT PANIC. Judges will continue giving slaps on wrists to thugs keeping them out of the emptying "overcrowded" prisons (overcrowded defined as one person in prison)

So, this won't benefit ordinary people one bit. But cronies will love it.

I just received my mmj card this October. I have FOID and CCW from IL. I have not had an issues except for the following.

I applied for my mmj card in May. After that, I purchased a number of guns from online auctions. I submitted for background check with my local FFL and it was pended for over 3 weeks. They ran again and still pended. I have attempted to contact isp, but no response. The FFL is not giving me any options, but my understanding is that they could release at their discretion after 3 days of pended if they wanted. I have purchased several guns at once like this before and never had any issues. The longest my check has ever waited is couple hours.

If someone could offer me some advice or information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thnx

https://ispffl.com/Public/FAQ.aspx

What happens if a customer orders a firearm, and when he comes into pick it up, ISP issues something other than an approval on the FTIP? The actual transfer of the firearm cannot take place until there is an approval from the FTIP system, regardless of when the agreement was reached. If the FFL receives a transaction number, they cannot complete the transfer until they receive an approval.

NOTE: This is the interpretation of the Illinois State Police. Individual FFLs may have their own policies and procedures to observe the waiting period.

I'm one of the complete legalization supporters. While I don't smoke pot, I believe that people should have the right to live their lives as they see fit. Alcohol is by far, much worse than pot. The worst thing that can happen to someone that gets behind the wheel after smoking pot is that they stop and wait for a stop sign to turn green....

Pot was originally made illegal through Anslinger who used racist propaganda films to get people to be afraid that once white women smoke pot, they'll run into the arms of black men. I did a long research paper on this topic back in school and was shocked at what I found. Anslinger was about to be out of a job during the time of the depression so he had to find a way to keep himself employed by the federal government. He used pot as the vehicle to keep him employed by playing on people's xenophobia at the time. Just watch the Reefer Madness movies from that time period. I grew up in the city so I've had the opportunity to be around a lot of potheads, and not once have I seen any act the way they did in the films lol.

But take my opinion on legalization with a grain of salt because I also believe that we should legalize them all. The war on drugs was lost a long time ago and is basically like playing whack a mole, except after you whack a mole, another one pops up in it's place. We spend billions of dollars fighting this war that is not winnable and only give money and power to those that import and sell drugs. If we treated drug addiction instead of what we're doing now, not only would we spend far less money on treating addiction, but use would also plummet. We have a perfect example of this in Portugal, where all drugs have been legalized for some time.

At the very least, we should leave it up to the states. Legalize at the Federal level, then let each state decide on their own, the way it was meant to be.

Leaving it up to the states just like Gay marriage, and gender confused? That won't last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally don't have a problem with people being allowed to do whatever drugs they want so long as they don't harm others. The problem with the harder drugs is that the users will become a drag on society one way or another.

The problem that I have with states "legalizing" pot is that they are thumbing their noses at federal law. States may be able to decriminalize marijuana use at the state level, but they can not legalize it.

Can you imagine a state creating a law "legalizing" the manufacture of machine guns for sale to civilians? The Feds would not allow it.

So far, the states have been allowed to do this because the Obama DEA and DOJ ignored it. We will see how the Trump administration directs the DOJ and DEA to deal with this...

I also don't understand how people think physicians can prescribe marijuana, as many of these medical marijuana laws require. Physicians are licensed to prescribe medication by the DEA. The same organization that lists marijuana as a schedule 1 drug that cannot be prescribed.

State is authorizing them by state law to prescribe under state license, not under the license issued by the DEA.

Thnx

What happens if a customer orders a firearm, and when he comes into pick it up, ISP issues something other than an approval on the FTIP? The actual transfer of the firearm cannot take place until there is an approval from the FTIP system, regardless of when the agreement was reached. If the FFL receives a transaction number, they cannot complete the transfer until they receive an approval.

NOTE: This is the interpretation of the Illinois State Police. Individual FFLs may have their own policies and procedures to observe the waiting period.

Thank you very much for the info!

I also don't understand how people think physicians can prescribe marijuana, as many of these medical marijuana laws require. Physicians are licensed to prescribe medication by the DEA. The same organization that lists marijuana as a schedule 1 drug that cannot be prescribed.

Many would question the federal authority in these areas in the first place. A ban on the manufacture of machine guns under the regulatory premise of commerce smacks of infringement.

Even under that premise machine guns could me made in state, for sale to state residents only. No interstate commerce involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many would question the federal authority in these areas in the first place. A ban on the manufacture of machine guns under the regulatory premise of commerce smacks of infringement.

Even under that premise machine guns could me made in state, for sale to state residents only. No interstate commerce involved.

Btw I should have quoted your previous post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thnx

Is this your first purchase since actually being issued your MMJ card?

How did you answer question 11e on the 4473, keeping in mind that marijuana is still illegal at the federal level?

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

11e is a real stumbling block.

I would not transfer a firearm to a person with a medical marijuana card.

Does not matter my personal opinion, but it is federally illegal to use marijuana, so if you have a marijuana card, you either answer yes to 11e and get denied, or lie on federal documents.

And if I know you have the card, I would have to deny you.

Did you commit perjury if you answered no to 11e, or did you legally answer no because the state issued you permission.

State vs Federal rights.

That answer is way above my pay grade.

Not sure how the state is going to deal with this, since they are doing the background checks, they know you have the card, they know/allow you to break federal law.

Do they break federal law again and allow the transfer or decide to selectively enforce federal law.

Another real mess that needs to be cleaned up.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

new 4473 in mid January

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20161118/eleventh-hour-changes-to-federal-firearm-form

....Another notable change to the form is the inclusion of a bolded warning to potential transferees from ATF. The warning provides that “the use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medical or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.” This warning is a continuation of ATF’s policy that was first published in an open letter on September 21, 2011. Under ATF’s policy, not only are users of marijuana prohibited from possessing firearms, but a person may not transfer a firearm to an individual if the transferor knows that the transferee holds a medical marijuana card. Importantly, this second prohibition applies even where the cardholder does not actually use any marijuana....

Marijuana needs to be removed from schedule 1 status, and all this BS would be done.

Since everything else Obama has done is a complete failure, and his legacy is tarnished by the huge defeat of his policies, he should decriminalize weed and at least have something useful to be remembered for.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11e is a real stumbling block. I would not transfer a firearm to a person with a medical marijuana card. Does not matter my personal opinion, but it is federally illegal to use marijuana, so if you have a marijuana card, you either answer yes to 11e and get denied, or lie on federal documents. And if I know you have the card, I would have to deny you. Did you commit perjury if you answered no to 11e, or did you legally answer no because the state issued you permission. State vs Federal rights. That answer is way above my pay grade. Not sure how the state is going to deal with this, since they are doing the background checks, they know you have the card, they know/allow you to break federal law. Do they break federal law again and allow the transfer or decide to selectively enforce federal law. Another real mess that needs to be cleaned up. Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Moral of the story is to buy all of the guns you will need in the foreseeable future BEFORE getting your medical marijuana card.

11e is a real stumbling block. I would not transfer a firearm to a person with a medical marijuana card. Does not matter my personal opinion, but it is federally illegal to use marijuana, so if you have a marijuana card, you either answer yes to 11e and get denied, or lie on federal documents. And if I know you have the card, I would have to deny you. Did you commit perjury if you answered no to 11e, or did you legally answer no because the state issued you permission. State vs Federal rights. That answer is way above my pay grade. Not sure how the state is going to deal with this, since they are doing the background checks, they know you have the card, they know/allow you to break federal law. Do they break federal law again and allow the transfer or decide to selectively enforce federal law. Another real mess that needs to be cleaned up. Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Moral of the story is to buy all of the guns you will need in the foreseeable future BEFORE getting your medical marijuana card.

better moral don't smoke weed ... medicine my hairy buttside

I might be concerned the state could cross check and do an auto revoke of FOID card unless there is something specific in existing law preventing that.

Thnx

Thank you very much for the information

With all of the deaths due directly to smoking pot, it should stay illegal. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, since there hasn't been ONE verifiable death with Marijuana being THE CAUSE of death since the beginning of medical documentation, I'll assume your post was sarcastic. If not, please provide proof of any deaths that were caused by Marijuana being THE CAUSE of said death. (yes, I know there have been 5 - 6 deaths over the last 200 years where pot CONTRIBUTED to/ or aggravated an already existing medical deficiency, but NOT the MAIN cause of death.)

Thnx

Is this your first purchase since actually being issued your MMJ card?

How did you answer question 11e on the 4473, keeping in mind that marijuana is still illegal at the federal level?

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

At the time I did not have my card so i answered it with no. I had tried it one time in the past about a year ago for a period of a month or so to see if it would wok for me.

With all of the deaths due directly to smoking pot, it should stay illegal. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, since there hasn't been ONE verifiable death with Marijuana being THE CAUSE of death since the beginning of medical documentation, I'll assume your post was sarcastic. If not, please provide proof of any deaths that were caused by Marijuana being THE CAUSE of said death. (yes, I know there have been 5 - 6 deaths over the last 200 years where pot CONTRIBUTED to/ or aggravated an already existing medical deficiency, but NOT the MAIN cause of death.)

Anything that alters how the mind works can cause death.

https://familycouncil.org/?p=11795

Anything that alters how the mind works can cause death. https://familycouncil.org/?p=11795

ETA: Your last statement there is like saying that cigarettes don't cause deaths, they only contribute to lung cancer, emphysema, COPD, etc. Well, we really know they're the cause...

Actually, cigarettes DO cause death through Lung Cancer, They have been proven to do so. Now - Show me where marijuana is the DIRECT cause of death in ANY documented case.

People need to get over the "Reefer Madness" propaganda that has been inflicted upon us by the Gov't.

Look up Harry Anslinger - You will discover why this plant is not legal.

Actually, cigarettes DO cause death through Lung Cancer, They have been proven to do so. Now - Show me where marijuana is the DIRECT cause of death in ANY documented case.

People need to get over the "Reefer Madness" propaganda that has been inflicted upon us by the Gov't.

Look up Harry Anslinger - You will discover why this plant is not legal.

Did ya read the link?

And just so ya know, my "reefer madness" is all based on my own personal experience with someone who'd rather get high rather than take care of his family. His family which also happens to be my family. I don't remember you or any of the other marijuana conspiracy proclaimers showing up to help me sort out my "propaganda."

Marijuana is the WORST of drugs, because so many people have accepted its use as being tolerable. It makes people dumb, lazy, and apathetic. Any drug that anybody would do in spite of making them unemployable, a felon, and broke is bad.

Archived