Cook County Sheriff Braces For Layoffs if soda tax is struck down...link

Sweeper13

Actually the way Cook County taxes can be advantageous. I don't drink a lot of pop so it doesn't bother me. But a lot of visitors to Chicago do drink it, so I don't mind if they pay the taxes. Likewise, if the collar county prices on gas or pop see lower because they pay higher taxes overall, I'll buy my gas or pop there.

We don't drink pop, but the tax also covers Sports Drinks, which we do use for electrolyte replacement in Summer and in Cold/Flu season. we're pretty close to Will Co, but don't have a car. We do have a good friend with a car though. :D

It keeps getting referred to as the Soda tax, but it is really the beverage sweetened tax...

-Bottled sweetened beverages (soda, sports drinks, flavored water, energy drinks, pre-made sweetened coffee and tea with less than 50% milk content, etc.)

-Sweetened beverages produced from syrups using a beverage dispensing machine and powders using a beverage dispensing machine or by hand mixing (fountain drinks, lemonade, etc.)

..."Sweetened beverage means any non-alcoholic beverage, carbonated or non-carbonated, which is intended for human consumption and contains any caloric sweetener or non-caloric sweetener"...

Live in Crook but can see the Will County line out the bedroom window. I will not fill up with gas or buy anything other than water through the tap in this poor excuse for a county. Have a summer place in a really well ran county and spend about 5 months out of the year there. Work in Grundy so I buy lots of things there. The Dartboards, Taxwinkles, TIny Dancers and Madigones of the county are lots smarter than we give them credit for. They are not as near short-sited as we would like them to be. Look at the record..........Madigone has been in power 32 of the last 34 years. Tiny Dancer blames everyone but himself and Taxwinkle/Dart run the empire. Why do we keep electing these crooks is beyond me. I do not respect their ideas or politics but they do have staying power. What else can they tax, blame, corrupt that they haven't already?

I live a few minutes from DuPage county line. If this tax goes into effect, no more fast food or powerades in Cook. I eat at my local Wendy's, great people work there. Unfortunately, that will have to end if this "sugar tax" goes into effect.

I love the double standard. When it comes to killing babies, these leftist politicians say "the government can't tell you what to do with your body" but when it comes to sugar, they say "Yes, the government CAN tell you what to do with your body." Ridiculous.

So if they can't pay the deputies without the soda tax, how did they pay them in the past? I'm easily confused.

https://www.creators.com/read/thomas-sowell/03/13/budget-politics

Budget Politics

By Dr. Thomas Sowell

March 5, 2013

Back in my teaching days, many years ago, one of the things I liked to ask the class to consider was this: Imagine a government agency with only two tasks: (1) building statues of Benedict Arnold and (2) providing life-saving medications to children. If this agency's budget were cut, what would it do?

The answer, of course, is that it would cut back on the medications for children. Why? Because that would be what was most likely to get the budget cuts restored. If they cut back on building statues of Benedict Arnold, people might ask why they were building statues of Benedict Arnold in the first place.

The example was deliberately extreme as an illustration. But, in the real world, the same general pattern can be seen in local, state and national government responses to budget cuts.

At the local level, the first response to budget cuts is often to cut the police department and the fire department. There may be all sorts of wasteful boondoggles that could have been cut instead, but that would not produce the public alarm that reducing police protection and fire protection can produce. And public alarm is what can get budget cuts restored ...

If the penny an ounce will bring in $17 million just think what a dime an ounce would bring in! I would also make the tax cover all beverages sold in cook county. Would serve the people of cook county right for electing the tax happy democrats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The problem with this reasoning is in assuming that these people are logical. They are not, because I've seen it first hand. They literally believe conservatives/republicans/Rauner/anyone who isn't liberal is why "things are so bad," but fail to realize that it's them who's the problem. Some don't even realize there is a problem, they just think the GOP/Rauner is obstructing the General Assembly for purely political reasons. They can't even fathom that perhaps it's their fault that this all happened. For them, the tax happy Democrats are the "good guys" and higher taxes "means we have better services than those backwards red states!"

That's what's so ironic: they mock the red states and act smugly superior because of their "better services" thanks to their higher taxes, and ignore the fact that everything's collapsing around them.

If the penny an ounce will bring in $17 million just think what a dime an ounce would bring in! I would also make the tax cover all beverages sold in cook county. Would serve the people of cook county right for electing the tax happy democrats. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry for the Crook County residents here but I hope they pass a BIG FAT property tax increase perhaps that might wake some people up.

Crook County is lowest of the big 5 in the state, they need around a 25% to catch up with the likes of DuPage and Lake.

I am tired of listening to homeowners in Chicago with houses valued at lot more than mine paying way lower property taxes than

i do up here in unincorporated Lake County and complaining about how high their property taxes are..

Suck it up whiners and pay up! I'm tired of paying to keep your taxes low.

If the penny an ounce will bring in $17 million just think what a dime an ounce would bring in! I would also make the tax cover all beverages sold in cook county. Would serve the people of cook county right for electing the tax happy democrats. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry for the Crook County residents here but I hope they pass a BIG FAT property tax increase perhaps that might wake some people up.

Crook County is lowest of the big 5 in the state, they need around a 25% to catch up with the likes of DuPage and Lake.

I am tired of listening to homeowners in Chicago with houses valued at lot more than mine paying way lower property taxes than

i do up here in unincorporated Lake County and complaining about how high their property taxes are..

I'm curious what the tax rate is elsewhere. Total tax bill divided by assessed value. Is there a resource that shows this by County/municipality?

Sort of on the topic anyone notice a lot more CCSP officers on traffic lately? Last Month or so I have seen CCSP officers pulling people over for speeding all the damn time in unincorporated Cook. I think before this past month i'd seen it twice in my whole life. Now I see it every day on my way home.

Sort of on the topic anyone notice a lot more CCSP officers on traffic lately? Last Month or so I have seen CCSP officers pulling people over for speeding all the damn time in unincorporated Cook. I think before this past month i'd seen it twice in my whole life. Now I see it every day on my way home.

There was an announcement about the sheriffs stepping up and helping CPD in these areas.

IIRC it was in the last two to three weeks.

So now the sheriffs will have to STOP helping CPD and getting paid due to the lack of this tax.......I'm heart broken!

I'm curious what the tax rate is elsewhere. Total tax bill divided by assessed value. Is there a resource that shows this by County/municipality?

There's a calculator here, http://www.tax-rates.org/illinois/property-tax

For example on $150K homes, ~ numbers.... cook 2,000, dupage 2,600, lake 3,300. OUCH.

I knew lake was (or I thought) the highest but even more then I thought.

Didn't they just have a massive story @ the Trib about how Cook County Homes have been undervalued for years? I expect to see property taxes going up and getting us closer to DuPage in the coming years.

Little more then that, this could end up being real ugly...

The "Po" areas getting overvalued and the richer areas getting undervalued.

Archived