Misplaced FOID...

I noticed that my FOID card was missing today. I looked all over and couldn't find it. Can't remember where I used it or had it out last.

Now what? How does that affect my CCL? Anything to worry about? How long / how difficult is obtaining a replacement?

Thanks for any help.

If you still have your valid CCL, you shouldn't be affected at all unless you shop somewhere that requires a FOID and won't accept your CCL.

I think that you are safe to report the FOID lost (stolen) at your leisure. If it was close to expiration, renew it. It shouldn't affect your CCL at all... same numbers and all. If you aren't close to a renewal... maybe give it a little while so you can find it, see if it turns up. Maybe report it lost right away.

If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to provide better guidance.

With the change in the law, you don't have to have physical possession of the FOID as long as you have the CCL, so many leave them at home in the safe or whatever.

I'd do some more checking, to make absolutely sure that you can't locate it, before you start down the path of replacing it. Someone else may be along with recent experience of what will happen if you report the FOID lost.

Out of curiosity how far away is your FOID renewal date?

At one time, I think that reporting FOID as lost or stolen got the CCL revoked, and after a couple month wait for the FOID replacement, you could start the couple year appeal process to get the CCL reinstated. Hopefully it's not that bad anymore.

Edited by Gamma

If you report it lost, stolen, damaged, unless something has changed in the last few months, ISP will revoke the FOID card until a new one is issued. Has caused some complications in some cases. Keep looking, it's better to find the missing card.

He cannot carry on a revoked or expired FOID as well. Is that your understanding as well Molly B?

• 1 month later...
90 to 120 days

Were the old ones at least there’s?

Keep those as the ones being ordered will take a bit, but you old ones are still good while you wait.

Are you sure?

Unless something changed, the first thing that happens is the old cars are deactivated.

So even if you find a missing one it is not valid.

You just have to wait months for a replacement.

I think that is what MollyB was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

If you report it lost, stolen, damaged, unless something has changed in the last few months, ISP will revoke the FOID card until a new one is issued. Has caused some complications in some cases. Keep looking, it's better to find the missing card.

My FOID (useless piece of plastic) is starting to de-laminate and I almost just hit the damaged button and read the warning. The current one does not expire for at least another year.

If I am reading this correctly,

When I hit that button my current card is Void, and I am no longer allowed to be in possession of firearms until the new one is processed and received?

Also,

1. My Concealed Carry application will get messed up. (possibly)

2. I can't make any purchases until the new one arrives, not even ammo?

3. What does that mean for keeping existing firearms in the home?

When hitting the button, you are not void.

If you are in the process of getting a CCL and havent reviewed it, yes it could start the clock all over again.

Yes you may make purchases, the current card if ran will show valid till the new one gets printed.

Id keep them in the home if thats where you keep them, or go to the range, either way, they are yours.

Read this: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73856

Edited by Bubbacs

My FOID (useless piece of plastic) is starting to de-laminate and I almost just hit the damaged button and read the warning. The current one does not expire for at least another year.

If I am reading this correctly,

When I hit that button my current card is Void, and I am no longer allowed to be in possession of firearms until the new one is processed and received?

Also,

1. My Concealed Carry application will get messed up. (possibly)

2. I can't make any purchases until the new one arrives, not even ammo?

3. What does that mean for keeping existing firearms in the home?

Mine was stolen in January 2017. It took a really long time for it to be replaced.

Put some packing tape or something on it to keep it together.

So with the older tan cards, if it gets damaged and you request a replacement you.re an instant criminal until they get around to issuing you a new one?

Is that the same for the new yellow one, and the CCL?

You are not an instant criminal, however;

To legally carry you must have your valid CCL on your person

To transport your gun, buy ammo, buy another gun - you must have your FOID or CCL on your person

It will be the same with your new FOID and CCL

Solution: don't lose either of them. Keep them in good shape.

It took a long time to have both of mine reissued when they were stolen.

Absolutely no problems with keeping my gun and ammo at home.

One day, hopefully, they will figure this stuff out and it won't take longer than a week or so to issue a replacement card.

Edited by soundguy

Put some packing tape or something on it to keep it together.
I would not do that. I had packing tape over my old style Foid, I had my CCW Safe phone number taped to the back of it. I used it to purchase a gun and it was fine for calling in to the NICS check.But when I came to pick up my purchase 3 days later, they said Foid cards cannot be laminated, it makes them invalid, and the tape covered front and back. It also was holding the card together, so I didn't see the harm.Whether it's true or not I'm not sure, but I used my CCL instead and they allowed me to pick up my purchase.

they said Foid cards cannot be laminated, it makes them invalid

Eh? Thats a first hearing that one. I had some clear tape over the area where mine was splitting in the corner. No ever said a thing. Thats a show me the law/JCAR ruling that says that.

Edited by InterestedBystander

• 5 months later...
Quick question related to this topic. I recently purchased a new firearm and upon receiving notice of it arriving at the FFL realized I have lost my foid. I applied for a replacement foid before I went to the FFL. At the FFL I was denied when they ran the 4473. I’m assuming that’s because the status of my foid is now under review again until the new card is issued?