Handgun Ammo Serialization - HB1586

FoxtrotIndia

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that beginning January 1, 2020, all handgun ammunition that is manufactured, imported into the State for sale or personal use, kept for sale, offered or exposed for sale, sold, given, lent, or possessed shall be serialized. Provides that beginning January 1, 2020, any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, imports into the State for sale or personal use, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any handgun ammunition that is not serialized is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Provides that beginning January 1, 2020, any person who possesses in any public place any handgun ammunition that is not serialized is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor. Provides exceptions. Provides that beginning January 1, 2020, the Department of State Police shall maintain a centralized registry of all reports of handgun ammunition transactions reported to the Department in a manner prescribed by the Department. Provides that information in the registry, upon proper application for that information, shall be furnished to peace officers and authorized employees of the Department of State Police or to the person listed in the registry as the owner of the particular handgun ammunition. Provides that the Department of State Police shall adopt rules relating to the assessment and collection of end-user fees in an amount not to exceed $0.005 per round of handgun ammunition or per bullet, in which the accumulated fee amount may not exceed the cost to pay for the infrastructure, implementation, operational, enforcement, and future development costs of these provisions. Effective January 1, 2020, except some provisions effective immediately.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=1586&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=116073&SessionID=108

Also, I hope this is an acceptable first post. I've heard of Illinois Carry for a long time, but finally joined up after hearing Mickey on the Higher Line Podcast. After hearing all that she / y'all have done, I'm hoping I can help out in some way as well.

This is her third time at bat with this bill.

I don't think this bill has succeeded anywhere in the country.

I'd be surprised if the man flogging this is even still in business, unless bloomberg or soros is keeping him afloat, I'll look it up.

Yup, no more website, he's gone. He also has a free blogspot page, nothing since october.

100th GA:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?GA=100&DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=271&GAID=14&SessionID=91&LegID=99300

99th GA
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?GA=99&DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=6615&GAID=13&SessionID=88&LegID=98494

30 month old story:
https://www.guns.com/news/2016/09/02/chicago-area-lawmaker-wants-to-put-serial-numbers-on-ammo-video

Now I understand why they want to legalize weed.

Imagine the outrage if they announced every joint, bong, pipe, or all other related paraphernalia had to be serialized, registered, taxed twice, and approved by a CLEO...

Actually to really make the tax revenue it needs to be somewhere close to that. A tax stamp on packs (loose weed illegal) and all vapes and everything else. With black market vapes as available as Jimmy Johns and a 1/3 of the dispensary price they are already loosing a small fortune on medical, legal will be a lot worse.

Provides that beginning January 1, 2020, any person who possesses in any public place any handgun ammunition that is not serialized is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor.

You've got a year to use up all your ammo...

No, it means you have a year to stock pile all you think you will ever need. Your home and privately owned land are not public places.

The session is young, we will see some plenty stupid and egregious stuff out there.

Please don't dissect the non-logic in each bill and thus help the antigunners fix their bad bills.

Am I guilty of this too? probably at some point. By announcing that it looks like Ammo Coding System is belly up? perhaps not.

Let's publish the basic bill info, denounce it as stupid, and move along.

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that beginning January 1, 2020, all handgun ammunition that is manufactured, imported into the State for sale or personal use, kept for sale, offered or exposed for sale, sold, given, lent, or possessed shall be serialized. Provides that beginning January 1, 2020, any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, imports into the State for sale or personal use, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any handgun ammunition that is not serialized is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Provides that beginning January 1, 2020, any person who possesses in any public place any handgun ammunition that is not serialized is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor. Provides exceptions. Provides that beginning January 1, 2020, the Department of State Police shall maintain a centralized registry of all reports of handgun ammunition transactions reported to the Department in a manner prescribed by the Department. Provides that information in the registry, upon proper application for that information, shall be furnished to peace officers and authorized employees of the Department of State Police or to the person listed in the registry as the owner of the particular handgun ammunition. Provides that the Department of State Police shall adopt rules relating to the assessment and collection of end-user fees in an amount not to exceed $0.005 per round of handgun ammunition or per bullet, in which the accumulated fee amount may not exceed the cost to pay for the infrastructure, implementation, operational, enforcement, and future development costs of these provisions. Effective January 1, 2020, except some provisions effective immediately.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=1586&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=116073&SessionID=108

Also, I hope this is an acceptable first post. I've heard of Illinois Carry for a long time, but finally joined up after hearing Mickey on the Higher Line Podcast. After hearing all that she / y'all have done, I'm hoping I can help out in some way as well.

Well done, great first post and welcome aboard !!!!

( c ) Beginning January 1, 2020, and except as provided in

subsection (g-15) of Section 24-2, a person commits unlawful

possession of non-serialized handgun ammunition when he or she

knowingly possesses non-serialized ammunition for a rifle

having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a

shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in

length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by

alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as

modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A

violation of this subsection is a Class C misdemeanor.

SBR owners get shafted too, I bet it applies to those AK/AR handguns too

Also, they give us 15 years to use up our stockpiled ammo

(g-15) Subsections 24-1.10 (a) and 24-1.10 ( B ) do not apply to or affect any of the following:

(11) Possession of non-serialized handgun ammunition

by a person issued a concealed carry license by the

Department of State Police under the Firearm Concealed

Carry Act or issued a Firearm Owner's Identification Card

by the Department under the Firearm Owners Identification

Card Act on his or her person, in a firearm, or in a

vehicle for 15 years after the effective date of this

amendatory Act of the 101st General Assembly.

( c ) Beginning January 1, 2020, and except as provided insubsection (g-15) of Section 24-2, a person commits unlawfulpossession of non-serialized handgun ammunition when he or sheknowingly possesses non-serialized ammunition for a riflehaving one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or ashotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches inlength or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether byalteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon asmodified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. Aviolation of this subsection is a Class C misdemeanor.

SBR owners get shafted too, I bet it applies to those AK/AR handguns too Also, they give us 15 years to use up our stockpiled ammo

(g-15) Subsections 24-1.10 (a) and 24-1.10 ( B ) do not apply to or affect any of the following: (11) Possession of non-serialized handgun ammunitionby a person issued a concealed carry license by theDepartment of State Police under the Firearm ConcealedCarry Act or issued a Firearm Owner's Identification Cardby the Department under the Firearm Owners IdentificationCard Act on his or her person, in a firearm, or in avehicle for 15 years after the effective date of thisamendatory Act of the 101st General Assembly.

All in an attempt to get us to use up our supply now so we are defenseless. They have plans for us, thats for sure

Why is it we always seem to be on the defensive? Why aren't we trying to repeal the NFA, or allow silencers, or pass laws against any firearm infringement otherwise it's a felony, etc...?

There are many people trying, Gunowners of America is trying to fight NFA nonsense in court right now and Second Amendment Foundation is also doing all they can. States like South Dakota are about to become Constitutional carry and many places are loosening restrictions. It's hard to see it all while in Illinois because we have a Marxist nanny state regime running everything, about 90% of Illinois gun owners are dead weight and refuse to join the fight ( they will sometimes ask why we didn't do more and then go back to sleep ), and about 60 to 70 % of Illinois residents are tax loving sheep who think those sucking the life out of them are the people to vote for over and over again.

( c ) Beginning January 1, 2020, and except as provided in

subsection (g-15) of Section 24-2, a person commits unlawful

possession of non-serialized handgun ammunition when he or she

knowingly possesses non-serialized ammunition for a rifle

having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a

shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in

length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by

alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as

modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A

violation of this subsection is a Class C misdemeanor.

SBR owners get shafted too, I bet it applies to those AK/AR handguns too

Also, they give us 15 years to use up our stockpiled ammo

(g-15) Subsections 24-1.10 (a) and 24-1.10 ( B ) do not apply to or affect any of the following:

(11) Possession of non-serialized handgun ammunition

by a person issued a concealed carry license by the

Department of State Police under the Firearm Concealed

Carry Act or issued a Firearm Owner's Identification Card

by the Department under the Firearm Owners Identification

Card Act on his or her person, in a firearm, or in a

vehicle for 15 years after the effective date of this

amendatory Act of the 101st General Assembly.

Wouldn't this also apply to Mossberg Shockwave and the Remington TAC 14 ? Although neither was ever a shotgun just like an AR or AK pistol was never a rifle ? I don't think it matters to the freedom haters.

Archived