Concealed Carry Revoked

A person I know received this letter and surrendered his concealed carry permit to the local Police. The locals had no idea what to do, but that is another story.

The back story is that the rumor mill confirms that the instructor had her records seized and this is probably going to stick. What I'm looking for is an interpretation of the letter (it seems to be written in a cross between bureaucratese and lawyer. I've read the letter about 10 times and I see contradictions all over it.

The other piece is what to do next. The letter seems to say if you appeal and take another course in the next 60 days and submit that paperwork, you may get your permit back. The letter refers to the State Police web site FAQ's but they are all but worthless. What I would like is some good advice on attacking this problem.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The intent of this correspondence to is to notify you that pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/25(2), your Iliinois Concealed

Carry License has been REVOKED for one or more ofthe following reasons as specified in lllinois’ Firearm Concealed Carry

Act (430 ILCS 66/10):

An investigation has determined the Instructor who provided your firearms training did not provide the minimum hours

as established by 430 ILCS 66/75. You may appeal this decision by following the instructions below and submitting a

valid training certificate equaling a minimum of 16 hours.

You may appeal this decision by making a request for review to the Department pursuant to 20 ILAC 1231.170, by

logging into your Concealed Carry Application via the iilinois State Police website within 60 days after receipt of this notice.

For additional information, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions located on the Concealed Carry page of the

Depa rtment’s website. '

if you did not surrender your Concealed Carry License to the Court or to the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction,

pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/70(g), you must surrender your license within 48 hours to the local law enforcement agency

where you reside. Failure to surrender your license may result in the issuance ofa warrant for your arrest.

Illinois State Police

Firearms Services Bureau

There is a list of revoked trainers on the ISPFSB site. edit: See post farther down regarding revocation of instructors.

https://ispfsb.com/Public/revocations.aspx

As indicated if the person with revoked CCL provides a valid certificate, the CCL should be reinstated.

From FAQ on site:

Q What if the reason my application was denied is that my training certificate is invalid?

You should request informal relief pursuant to 20 ILAC 1231.170(B), and submit a new training certificate issued consistent with the provisions of Section 75 of the Act.

Q What if I cannot schedule new training within 60 days of receipt of the notice that my application was denied?

You should appeal in writing within the 60 days to preserve your right to administrative appeal while you pursue further training. If you are denied informal relief because you do not have a new training certificate, you may request a formal administrative hearing which will allow you additional time to obtain a valid training certificate.

Q Can I get credit for any of the hours from my previous training certificate that has been determined to be invalid?

No. You will need to complete 16 hours of training from an approved instructor whose approval to instruct has not been revoked.

Q How do I get a refund for the training costs for the certificate that has been deemed invalid?

Questions regarding restitution should be directed to your instructor or the State's Attorney's Office for the county in which you received your training.

We saw this a few times early on when some instructors were not complying with training requirements.

The revoked students will have to take new training and submit new training certificates in order to get reinstated.

And wait 120 days? Thank goodness I went to a solid guy who did an excellent job at Maxons. Daniel, thank you brother!

If the student gets the new certificate submitted in a timely manner, they do not have to pay the fee again.

They still have to pay another instructor for the 16 hour class, attend the class, and qualify.

The thing that bothers me is that in an instant the ISP can nullify certifications and immediately create criminals out of law abiding citizens. My rights are not nor ever will be unlawful.

There is a list of revoked trainers on the ISPFSB site. Revoked trainer equals revoked cerificates and revoked CCLs.

https://ispfsb.com/Public/revocations.aspx

I'm not sure that is correct.

Yes, any trainer that will have their classes invalidated, will be on that list. But, not everyone on that list necessarily means their classes were invalidated.

From the ISP site/page you linked

430 ILCS 66/80 (e). A person may have his or her firearms instructor certification denied or revoked if he or she does not meet the requirements to obtain a license under this Act, provides false or misleading information to the Department, or has had a prior instructor certification revoked or denied by the Department. (Source: PA 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13.) If an instructor has been revoked, it does not automatically mean their training was not sufficient or not acceptable. If you have any questions concerning the training you received, please contact the Illinois State Police at 217-782-7980 and select "6".

Depends on the revocation reason, and/or when what revoked their license happened, as to whether the classes are invalidated..

There is a list of revoked trainers on the ISPFSB site. Revoked trainer equals revoked cerificates and revoked CCLs.https://ispfsb.com/Public/revocations.aspx

I'm not sure that is correct.

Yes, any trainer that will have their classes invalidated, will be on that list. But, not everyone on that list necessarily means their classes were invalidated.

From the ISP site/page you linked

430 ILCS 66/80 (e). A person may have his or her firearms instructor certification denied or revoked if he or she does not meet the requirements to obtain a license under this Act, provides false or misleading information to the Department, or has had a prior instructor certification revoked or denied by the Department. (Source: PA 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13.) If an instructor has been revoked, it does not automatically mean their training was not sufficient or not acceptable. If you have any questions concerning the training you received, please contact the Illinois State Police at 217-782-7980 and select "6".

Depends on the revocation reason, and/or when what revoked their license happened, as to whether the classes are invalidated..

Thank you for that. I made a bad assumption. Thankfully nothing I have had to deal with.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone! I happened to be one of the many who had their ccw revoked due to my teacher not teaching the full 16 hours. I retook the class, passed, and sent in my appeal within 60 days of receipt of the letter from the state. It's been 40 days and the site just says the "appeal is under review". How many more days will I have to wait for the state to sort this out? It's getting a bit rediculous.

I must have had the same teacher. I re-took the training before my card was revoked because I could see it coming. I even submitted my new certificate to the Ask_CCL email and was told that they put it in my file. About a week later, I received the letter saying my license was revoked.

It has now been 75 days that I have been stuck at Appeal Under Review. I have uploaded the certificate through the official process as well. Molly has been so kind as to submit 2 inquiries on my behalf and to keep me posted on her meeting with the Governor, but I am feeling like I am in for a long wait even though I submitted evidence of training before my license was revoked.

• 3 weeks later...

I too was one of the Central Illinois CCL revokees from Teresa's Conceal Carry, (Teresa Sherwood Instructor) that had their CCL revoked due to to her not keeping us in class the full 16 hours. I received my CCL in December '16 and had it revoked 4/30/18. I filed my appeal on 5/2/18 (the day I received the letter), retook a new 16 hour class on 5/12-5/13/18 and faxed & emailed my new certificate over to ISP. As of today (8/14) it has been 90 days since my appeal has been "under review". How long do they have to complete the appeal?. I see in statute that after 90 days, an application is considered complete (430 ILCS 66/10(e):

(e) "An application for a license submitted to the Department that contains all the information and materials required by this Act, including the requisite fee, shall be deemed completed. Except as otherwise provided in this Act, no later than 90 days after receipt of a completed application...."
I can't believe that this process should take this long, especially since my initial application was almost 4 months to receive my CCL.
Any help from someone in the same situation would be appreciated.

I too was one of the Central Illinois CCL revokees from Teresa's Conceal Carry, (Teresa Sherwood Instructor) that had their CCL revoked due to to her not keeping us in class the full 16 hours. I received my CCL in December '16 and had it revoked 4/30/18. I filed my appeal on 5/2/18 (the day I received the letter), retook a new 16 hour class on 5/12-5/13/18 and faxed & emailed my new certificate over to ISP. As of today (8/14) it has been 90 days since my appeal has been "under review". How long do they have to complete the appeal?. I see in statute that after 90 days, an application is considered complete (430 ILCS 66/10(e):

(e) "An application for a license submitted to the Department that contains all the information and materials required by this Act, including the requisite fee, shall be deemed completed. Except as otherwise provided in this Act, no later than 90 days after receipt of a completed application...."
I can't believe that this process should take this long, especially since my initial application was almost 4 months to receive my CCL.
Any help from someone in the same situation would be appreciated.

The problem is the new training certificates are not showing up in the data system. I will submit an inquiry with your information.

• 2 months later...

Archived