Photo

Standard capacity AR mags- sales/mailing to Chicago resident?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 45Badger

• Members
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:18 AM

Need a quick rundown on any laws relating to sale of 30 AR15 round mags.

If a Chicago resident wants to buy 30 round AR15 mags and have them shipped to their home (Chicago) address, do you guys know if there are any laws prohibiting this and is the seller liable or responsible for compliance with said silly law if it exists? 

Thanks!

9mm = 45ACP set on "stun"
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!

.45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

“The most dangerous risk of all – The risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later”

#2 Glock23

I am no one.

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:52 AM

There are mag limits (local ordinances) in Chicago and Cook County, but no state laws. I see no legal reason a non-local seller would have to comply with them.

Edited by Glock23, 18 August 2019 - 07:53 AM.

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member
** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender
** Gun Owners of America - Annual Member
** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year American Hero Member
** Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#3 45Badger

• Members
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:58 PM

Slow day here. Thought I’d get a couple more responses with facts or reasonable insight.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The most dangerous risk of all – The risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later”

#4 InterestedBystander

• 6,757 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:56 PM

I think post 2 pretty much covered it. There are local Chicago and Cook Co laws banning sales and possession but nothing state wide so not sure what they could do to the seller even though a lot of vendors refuse to ship to Chicago. If you should choose face to face I would do it outside of Cook Co
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#5 cnwfan3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:17 PM

I have yet to find an out of state vendor that will ship rifle mags over 10 rounds to Cook County.  Some of them will ship pistol mags over 10 rounds and some will not.

#6 MagSlap

• Members
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:57 PM

I have yet to find an out of state vendor that will ship rifle mags over 10 rounds to Cook County.  Some of them will ship pistol mags over 10 rounds and some will not.

The key word for the vendor is the word 'ship'...

Yet..nothing prevents a vendor from selling a magazine to 'anybody' if that sale takes place at a brick 'n mortar outside chicago/Crook County...

Yet....something also interesting...

I was just at Cabela's in Hoffman Estates this weekend..its in Cook County... Funny thing, It seems to not be an issue because they have always had...and continue to have 30 round PMAGS on the shelf and will to sell them to anybody.

So...if you can't get a 30 round mag shipped to you..its nothing a few mile drive can't solve...

(Of course I'm only postulating here...I'm not in anyway interpeting the dictates of the lawmakers of IL and Cook county for public consumption...  I couldnt possibly do such a thing!!! My IQ is over 74)

Edited by MagSlap, 19 August 2019 - 01:01 PM.

#7 domin8

Banned!

• Members
  • 7,299 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:48 PM

Yet, because Optics Planet is located in Cook County they won't stock or sell AR mags that hold more than 10 rounds, even to residents of other states. Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm either banned, going to be banned, or just returned from being banned. The truth hurts.

#8 45Badger

• Members
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

So far, I see retail policies. Any direct knowledge or links to the code stating that it’s a misdemeanor, felony, etc for John Doe in xyz state or county to sell/ship a 30 round mag to John Smith in Chicago? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 EdDinIL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:56 PM

So far, I see retail policies. Any direct knowledge or links to the code stating that it’s a misdemeanor, felony, etc for John Doe in xyz state or county to sell/ship a 30 round mag to John Smith in Chicago? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a link to the Cook County Muncipal Code entry for the Blair Holt Assault Weapons Ban.

https://library.muni..._DIV4BLHOASWEBA

I'm not sure how Cook County could enforce that law against the seller if the seller is located out of the county or state.

Life Member: NRA, ISRA, SAF

#10 InterestedBystander

• 6,757 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:14 AM

Chicago ban
http://library.amleg...0-085#8-20-085"

High capacity magazines and certain tubular magazine extensions Sale and possession prohibited Exceptions.

Same as above post re enforcement. Rumor from past was that AG had sent threatenening letter to retailers but no one was able to produce. Nothing in regard to individuals. For that matter, as also mentioned, a trip to the suburbs and they can be purchased at a store.

Edited by InterestedBystander, 20 August 2019 - 06:16 AM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#11 gearsmithy

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

What if I have an AR pistol? wouldn't that be covered under state preemption for handguns? (I realize the question as to whether or not the mag is considered a part of the gun itself hasn't been legally settled)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users