Moving to Illinois

All,

I am moving to Illinois in Feb/Mar. I currently live in North Carolina and have a concealed permit for the state of North Carolina. I will still have my residence in NC, but since IL is one of the few states that doesn't allow me to carry there I have to go down the road of both FOID and CCL.

So I have a few questions.

1. Until I receive either, can I have my firearms in my house?

2. What about on my person while on my 5 acre property?

3. Is there a period of time that I have to reside in IL prior to applying?

4. Is there anything that I can/should do now to speed up the process?

5. Can I leverage the fact that I have a NC permit or is it the same process as anyone else applying?

I am reading up on IL and much of it from this site, but any information that may help me lessen the gap of possession and/or carry is much appreciated.

If you intend to stay a NC resident you cannot get a FOID or CCL. You can car carry on your NC permit.

Yes, you can have firearms in your house. The carrying on your property might be a little fuzzy.

If you are going to get an IL drivers license and become a resident here in the land of suck, then apply for your FOID as soon as you get your DL.

You can take the CCL training now and get that out of the way.

Edited by RacerDave6

I believe you can apply for both your FOID and CCL at the same time. Not sure if that speeds anything up though but it seems it should. Get your DL straight first since the slightest variation or inconsistency can delay FOID/CCW process.

IIRC, once you move there is a 90 day window for DL

..."7. A nonresident who becomes a resident of this

State, may for a period of the first 90 days of residence in Illinois operate any motor vehicle which he was qualified or licensed to drive by his home state or country so long as he has in his possession, a valid and current license issued to him by his home state or country. Upon expiration of such 90 day period, such new resident must comply with the provisions of this Act and apply for an Illinois license or permit."...

Applying with prints for CCL will be faster and more expensive, depends on what that extra 40 to 60 days is worth to you.

Edited by InterestedBystander

I have a buddy who lived here for over 10 years before he got his IL DL. Guess he always thought he'd get sent back to Texas even after he bought a home.

The FOID is supposed to take 30 days but sometimes takes longer. Apply for it as soon as you get your DL. You REALLY wanna have a permanent address before you apply for an FOID or CCP. Changing your address on the FOID is like starting all over, so... If your are renting temporary housing you might wanna put off the DL thing until you are settled.

So I have a few questions.

1. Until I receive either, can I have my firearms in my house?

YES

2. What about on my person while on my 5 acre property?

I think so? Might wanna wait for FOID

3. Is there a period of time that I have to reside in IL prior to applying?

NO

4. Is there anything that I can/should do now to speed up the process?

Nothing will speed up the process.

5. Can I leverage the fact that I have a NC permit or is it the same process as anyone else applying?

Nothing will help you other than a clean record and a unique given name.

What will best speed up the process is to get your CCL class taken ahead of time. After getting your IL DL, like the next day apply for BOTH FOID and CCL at the same time. That will likely take 30+ days off the time needed for the carry license. If you don't apply simultaneously, it appears that they wait until the FOID is issued before starting the CCL clock.

Fingerprints with the CCL application are optional but will likely take 30+ days off that application wait.

If NC will cancel your license when you change residence, you might want to pick up a Florida or some other non-resident license beforehand so you'll at least have something in the gap time if you have to travel anywhere.

Edited by Gamma

Thanks everyone. Trust me it's hard enough to leave NC and harder going to Il. I can live anywhere with my job but my wife recently suffered medical setbacks and IL is where she will recover the quickest. So I at least bought outside of town with some decent land.

After being in NC it will be tough to purchase a firearm and not be able to walk out of the store with it immediately. And I imagine that I will feel like I lost my watch or something like that. To walk around for potentially months without it will be strange. Going to have to remember every day as I get dressed that I can't carry.

It will be interesting to learn more. Here we can open carry anyway. This means concealment is a matter of your preference and quite frankly I don't think about it all the time. I could walk my dogs with an AR if I felt like it. (Just not a dbl barrel shotgun, specifically )

I visited over the holiday and tried to buy a box of ammo for his rifle from a Big R or something like that. This was for my father and not only was I shocked that I couldn't, all ammo was locked up! If I asked for the same thing here they'd tell me it's aisle 4.

Should be fun

I visited over the holiday and tried to buy a box of ammo for his rifle from a Big R or something like that. This was for my father and not only was I shocked that I couldn't, all ammo was locked up!

If they won't sell you ammo, it's their store policy not the law.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39

(b ) Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois.

(b-5) Any non-resident who is participating in a sanctioned competitive shooting event, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his or her domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a shotgun or shotgun ammunition in Illinois for the purpose of participating in that event. A person may purchase or obtain a shotgun or shotgun ammunition under this subsection only at the site where the sanctioned competitive shooting event is being held.

(b-10) Any non-resident registered competitor or attendee of a competitive shooting event held at the World Shooting Complex sanctioned by a national governing body, who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his or her domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or other long gun or ammunition for a rifle, shotgun, or other long gun at the competitive shooting event. The sanctioning body shall provide a list of registered competitors and attendees as required under subparagraph (5) of paragraph (g) of subsection (A) of Section 24-3 of the Criminal Code of 2012. A competitor or attendee of a competitive shooting event who does not wish to purchase a firearm at the event is not required to register or have his or her name appear on a list of registered competitors and attendees provided to the Department of State Police by the sanctioning body.

I visited over the holiday and tried to buy a box of ammo for his rifle from a Big R or something like that. This was for my father and not only was I shocked that I couldn't, all ammo was locked up! If I asked for the same thing here they'd tell me it's aisle 4.

Locked up ammo is a store policy. A lot of stores have their ammo on the shelf for self service in which case they card you at checkout time.

I *think* you have 60 days from the time you change residence to obtain a FOID, until then you are ok with your firearms at home. If you did the simultaneous FOID/CCL application with fingerprints you would probably have both before 60 days are up. I would not get IL DL until you had the CCL class out of the way and ready to proceed with the applications.

Edited by Gamma

90 days to get DL as posted above, 60 days to then get FOID

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=043000650K2

(d) Any person who becomes a resident of this State, who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm or firearm ammunition, shall not be required to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to possess firearms or firearms ammunition until 60 calendar days after he or she obtains an Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card.