Illinois Digest of Huning/Trapping say no concealed carry during deer/turkey hunting

ragsbo

Yelp it is old news, that I thought was being taken care of. I just wanted folks to know the DNR is putting this out and not to get jammed up over it while hunting. DNR may be looking to make an example; don't let it be you! Of course a good court case might be what is needed to get it changed, just ain't gonna be me.

It says that you can not conceal carry while deer or turkey hunting. You can conceal carry during the shotgun season IF the pistol meets their regulations for hunting deer. SO that would be revolvers 38 or larger with a 4 inch barrel or single shot pistols.

I had a discussion about this with my local CPO back in the spring, I made the comment about if they can trust CCL holders to carry weapons, then the DNR should be able to trust us to legally hunt with a bow, even when carrying. His response was "If you knew how many cops I arrest for poaching deer during archery season by using there sidearm, you wouldn't allow carry during archery season either."

He made it sound like the biggest offenders are the people we should trust. Almost sounds like the prison guard at Taylorville a few years ago that shot the deer in the field outside the fence with the AR15 from the guard tower.

I had a discussion about this with my local CPO back in the spring, I made the comment about if they can trust CCL holders to carry weapons, then the DNR should be able to trust us to legally hunt with a bow, even when carrying. His response was "If you knew how many cops I arrest for poaching deer during archery season by using there sidearm, you wouldn't allow carry during archery season either."

He made it sound like the biggest offenders are the people we should trust. Almost sounds like the prison guard at Taylorville a few years ago that shot the deer in the field outside the fence with the AR15 from the guard tower.

An officer at Taylorville would have shot the deer with a Mini-14. IDOC doesn't use AR15s to equip towers. Not that it changes the story in any way, but I just had to make the correction.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Just make sure its unloaded and cased when driving a vehicle or 4-wheeler/atv/utv to your stand.

This is an issue too. I can ride around private property with loaded firearms in a vehicle or atv any other time, but not while travelling to and from my stand?

Not if it is outside the legal shooting hours (half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset).

Not if it is outside the legal shooting hours (half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset).

You missed the point. If I wasn't involved in a DNR regulated activity I could.

Just because I'm participating in some DNR regulated activity my personal safety somehow doesn't matter? Especially on my own property or other private property I have access to.

You missed the point. If I wasn't involved in a DNR regulated activity I could.

Just because I'm participating in some DNR regulated activity my personal safety somehow doesn't matter? Especially on my own property or other private property I have access to.

I got your point the first time! And I agree whole hardheartedly. I just wanted to be sure that others knew the time so they wouldn't get jammed up. This will either have to be solved in court or by new legislation.

"I had a discussion about this with my local CPO back in the spring, I made the comment about if they can trust CCL holders to carry weapons, then the DNR should be able to trust us to legally hunt with a bow, even when carrying. His response was "If you knew how many cops I arrest for poaching deer during archery season by using there sidearm, you wouldn't allow carry during archery season either."

He made it sound like the biggest offenders are the people we should trust. Almost sounds like the prison guard at Taylorville a few years ago that shot the deer in the field outside the fence with the AR15 from the guard tower."

This crap really pisses me off. SO a few bad apples who have the elitism mentality break the law they are supposed to enforce so that means that the whole population of law abiding citizens should get screwed. Typical political bull crap!

Well, this has been an argument that I have had since the beginning.

As a competition coonhunter, I run and train dogs all year long. I don't shoot them out during the off-season but simply tree them, shine them to verify they are there, and then turn loose again or pick up and move.

We, as a sport, are all over in timber, bottoms, etc. and come across some really creepy people/items in the wee hours of the night....and my personal safety is not important enough that I can carry concealed either. I normally run by myself as well.

I wonder how many brave souls would like to come with me unarmed? What would they do if they happened upon a meth head or lab? What about a pot-grower? What would you do if you were coming back to your truck and found someone burglarizing it while it was parked miles from the nearest road or house?

This needs to be addressed.

Archived