Simultaneous FOID/CCL address change - anyone have experience?

Hi all,

I might be moving in a few months (within IL), haven't been able to get through to ISP (not surprised there) and the FAQ wasn't clear so looking to hear from someone who's had to do this before.

1. How do you update the address for FOID/CCL at the same time? Do you use the button to update address for CCL or do they need to be ordered separately?

2. What all do you need to update address? Do you just add the new address to the history or do you need to upload the certificate/photo again, etc.?

3. Can I simply update my address at the SOS website then request the address change or do I need to receive a new "hard card" (with updated address) first? Does renewing a DL (without address change) affect anything (esp. if a new picture is taken)?

4. Finally, it's my understanding that both remain valid while the address change is being processed? I saw a provision in the FCCL act about address changes but nothing regarding the validity of the license during processing.

Thanks to all in advance.

I did an address change last year. Wasn't bad.

Changed address on cyberdrive illinois, then took copy of lease to DMV and got updated drivers license. I waited about a week then did change of address for CCL/FOID. It took about a month to get new cards. Old cards remain valid during the process, I asked ISP directly to confirm.

Some here say to give it about a week after updating your drivers license before doing an address change on your CCL.

I did an address change last year. Wasn't bad.

Changed address on cyberdrive illinois, then took copy of lease to DMV and got updated drivers license. I waited about a week then did change of address for CCL/FOID. It took about a month to get new cards. Old cards remain valid during the process, I asked ISP directly to confirm.

Some here say to give it about a week after updating your drivers license before doing an address change on your CCL.

Thanks, makes sense. Have you ever had to renew your DL as well without an address change/does it matter if FOID/CCL pictures are in sync with DL picture (especially wrt buying at an FFL)?

It shouldn’t matter if the pictures don’t match. Before I did my address change for my ccl my pictures didn’t match because the picture on my ccl was my drivers license photo of me when I was 21 and my drivers license photo was of me at 25-26. I purchased a few firearms without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It shouldn’t matter if the pictures don’t match. Before I did my address change for my ccl my pictures didn’t match because the picture on my ccl was my drivers license photo of me when I was 21 and my drivers license photo was of me at 25-26. I purchased a few firearms without issue.

Thanks, this was helpful! On that note, I've heard you can generally buy/shoot with CCL in lieu of FOID? I know some places are stricter and want to see specifically a FOID though.

Yep you can shoot and use your Ccl instead of the foid. Haven’t had any issues with any local gun shop but maybe some corporate owned places might still require a foid.

Makes sense, I think places such as Maxon might still require FOID.

So does the status of both cards just go back to "under review" while the address change is processing then (even though they're still technically active)? Has anyone ever run into issues updating address (e.g., system issues or rejected because new zip code/address is unusual)?

• 1 month later...

I just did my change of address on ISP website for FOID and CCL this past Friday 3-22-19. The FOID went active yesterday (3-25-19) but the CCL still shows under review. I changed my driver's license a week prior to the FOID. Will be interesting to see how long the CCL takes.

ITguy, any update on the CCL/how long did it take?

Also, would it be advisable to keep a copy of the address change confirmation/the relevant statute on me when going to a range/carrying (like some people are doing for renewals)?

CCL still showing under review as of today. Inspect element shows qc verified approved.
QC verified and approved are 2 different "hidden" statuses... only one applies.

You're looking for the line that says something like "span class = approved" Under Review "class", where under review is the visible status and approved (or submitted or qc verified) is the hidden status.

Archived