Fox News on Ezell

the video contains stuff that is not in the story so watch it. I spent 1/2 an hour with them on tape and this is what you get..... good news is, several of the points I made, made it in the back and forth at the end of the story.

http://www.myfoxchic...ouncil-20110706

Chicago City Council OKs Gun Ranges in City Limits

Updated: Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011, 10:03 PM CDT

Published : Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011, 9:23 AM CDT

By Mike Flannery, FOX Chicago News

Chicago - Mayor Emanuel and the City Council cleared the way for public shooting ranges to return to Chicago.

They moved as three judges on the Chicago-based Seventh Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals issued an unusually scathing ruling. It ridiculed the city's attempts to defend a longstanding ban on gun ranges.

Chicago's become a center of gun rights litigation. Fox Chicago News identified at least seven important cases pending here or in courts Downstate. Cumulatively, they offer judges an opportunity to reorder a regime of gun control that remains the most restrictive in America.

Gun rights activists estimate there are 100,000 Chicagoans who have firearms owners ID cards from the State of Illinois.

The activists argue most FOID card holders would also get permits from the city, except that they are too expensive and too difficult to obtain.

City Hall disagrees: 3,550 applied for a Chicago Firearms Permit since last year, when the U.S. Supreme Court's McDonald ruling first made them available.

The city says a total of 3,448 CFPs have so far been granted. The fee for a CFP is $100 every three years. The required gun safety class costs about $125. Gun registration costs $15 per weapon.

Several of those who've been denied CFPs have gone to court. Some plaintiffs are using lawyers paid for by the National Rifle Association or other leaders of the gun lobby.

Several plaintiffs are asking the courts to declare that they have a Constitutional right to carry a gun for self-defense, whether it is concealed or carried openly.

Another man suing City Hall was rejected for a CFP because he has a previous misdemeanor conviction for unauthorized use of a weapon. The city also rejects those with misdemeanor drunk driving convictions. Gun rights groups argue that only a felony conviction should disqualify an applicant.

The Gun Lobby is also asking federal judges to order that Chicago allow registration and legal possession of semi-automatic guns, what some call assault weapons.

NRA lawyers have successfully pushed for quick consideration of some challenges to Chicago's gun control laws. Wednesday's U.S. Appeals Court ruling, for example, came in the form of granting the NRA's request for a preliminary injunction ending Chicago's ban on gun ranges.

I spent 1/2 an hour with them on tape and this is what you get..... good news is, several of the points I made, made it in the back and forth at the end of the story.

You mean ... "why are you just allowed to have the gun at home but you can't carry it?"

Good question! Yes ... this decision was a good one, and certainly went further down the road than that court has been willing to do before this. It will be very interesting to see Chicago's official reaction. After a smackdown like this, anyone think they'll choose to continue fighting for their onerous restrictions?

Flannery.... Probably the best report he's had. No snide remarks either.

So when does Gitchigoomie sports-plex open up? Folks need a place to skeet shoot off the lake. Maybe the old meigs field can be taken back. Turn it into a skeet/trap/sporting clays joint.

There was a skeet/trap facility in a city park along the lake back in the late 70s when I lived in Chicago. Daley closed it down. I never shot at it. I think they even rented out guns there IIRC.

It finally occurred to me that we got a very good draw of judges on that 7th circuit panel. It's also tempting to see a ruling you like, and then say "oh, that was a good panel." We are often tempted to squeeze reality into conformation with our own worldview. But enough on that.

Diane S. Sykes: President George W. Bush nominated Sykes to the 7th Circuit on November 14, 2003.

Michael S. Kanne: President Ronald Reagan nominated Kanne to the US Northern District of Indiana on December 4, 1981, and elevated him to the 7th circuit on February 2, 1987.

Ilana K.D. Rovner: President George H.W. Bush nominated Rovner on August 12, 1992.

It would be interesting (but probably otherwise not worthwhile) to speculate what the ruling would have looked like if the panel had again consisted of Posner, Easterbrook, and Bauer.

I liked when the reported said "certain semi auto rifles, what some call assault rifles". To me he was acknowledging that he knows the difference between the two. I'm trying not to get overly optomistic but I sure like the attitude of some of the Chicago media and these Chicago court decisions. It really seems like they're starting to take a stronger stand in our favor.

So when does Gitchigoomie sports-plex open up? Folks need a place to skeet shoot off the lake. Maybe the old meigs field can be taken back. Turn it into a skeet/trap/sporting clays joint.

There was a skeet/trap facility in a city park along the lake back in the late 70s when I lived in Chicago. Daley closed it down. I never shot at it. I think they even rented out guns there IIRC.

I believe the claim at the time was an environmental hazard to the lake front claiming the lead shot was poisoning the lake. The city is trying to prep this defense by adding the issue in the later part of the new city ordinance also.

I believe the claim at the time was an environmental hazard to the lake front claiming the lead shot was poisoning the lake. The city is trying to prep this defense by adding the issue in the later part of the new city ordinance also.

Yes - I remember the fiasco back in the 80's. The Lincoln Park Sportsman's (gun) club or something to that effect. Gitchiboomie sounds like a cool followup - anyone, the idea is up for grabs :( Royalty free. Well... maybe a round of sporting clays, but pass that on to Ezell if he can use it..

Yes - I remember the fiasco back in the 80's. The Lincoln Park Sportsman's (gun) club or something to that effect. Gitchiboomie sounds like a cool followup - anyone, the idea is up for grabs :( Royalty free. Well... maybe a round of sporting clays, but pass that on to Ezell if she can use it..

Fixed it for ya.

Yes - I remember the fiasco back in the 80's. The Lincoln Park Sportsman's (gun) club or something to that effect. Gitchiboomie sounds like a cool followup - anyone, the idea is up for grabs :( Royalty free. Well... maybe a round of sporting clays, but pass that on to Ezell if she can use it..

Fixed it for ya.

Dope... Thanks

Lets demand the Chicago Park District provide land for skeet(I'm not a shotgun sports guy myself but would like to learn :-) )The old Lincoln Park Gun Club AFAIK never had a serious safety incident and proves the city's safety worries are unfounded.

Lets demand the Chicago Park District provide land for skeet(I'm not a shotgun sports guy myself but would like to learn :-) )The old Lincoln Park Gun Club AFAIK never had a serious safety incident and proves the city's safety worries are unfounded.

That'd be a good use of IL's Pittsman excise tax share!

Archived