Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

Midway are not shipping anything to the city! i just waited 30 mins to chart online with them.

try to place order on their website for 9mm HP box of 25.

no luck at all!

If you consult the list (first page of thread) you can find an outfit who will ship to you. I'm receiving a delivery tomorrow from Target Sports. There are plenty to choose from... Midway is not one of them.

Midway (some people report successfully ordering shot shells. Other ammo is iffy/unlikely)

If you consult the list (first page of thread) you can find an outfit who will ship to you. I'm receiving a delivery tomorrow from Target Sports. There are plenty to choose from... Midway is not one of them.

Midway (some people report successfully ordering shot shells. Other ammo is iffy/unlikely)

Thanks, Soundguy. I was just about to post that.

I am so frustrated. I do know plenty of dealers ship. But I chose one. Sportsmans outdoor superstore. They just shipped me an order not less than a month ago. Then I get an email that says due to a new law they can't. That the manager just sent an email and he says it's illegal. She then referenced a-20-100. Said that it made it illegal.

I went through the trouble to do all the dumb foid on file stuff. Now I'm in a training and can't scan stuff. And need ammo. It is Chicago after all.

Will one of you folks who has a moment, or all of you, correct this guy and company? Ask for ally and ask for her supervisor.

All the laws they referenced are three or more years old.

Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore were removed from the list the other day because another person (who had also previously bought ammo from them) said they decided to stop shipping here. She is referencing 8-20-100, which, as of 2014 amendments, ALLOWS transfer of ammunition. All it does now is ban sales of guns at gun shows.

The best thing to do is direct them to the 2014 gun store law and use the following boilerplate and include the PDF I've attached.

=====

I wanted to bring to your attention that Chicago has deleted their ammunition transfer restriction, which was the reason most online and mail-order vendors were previously unwilling to ship here. This was done with the passage of the new gun shop ordinance in June 2014, which was in response to a federal court ruling in Illinois Association of Firearms Retailers v Chicago, that the ban on gun and ammunition sales and/or transfer of ammunition in the city was illegal.

The pertinent ordinance was Municipal Ordinance 8-20-100, I have attached a copy of this and you can find it on page number 22 (actual page 24 of the PDF). The original language banned gun stores and transfer of ammunition within the city. The amended ordinance, which was written to comply with the court ruling of January 2014, strikes that language completely and only bans sales of firearms at gun shows. The ordinance came into effect June 24, 2014 after it was signed by the Mayor.

It is legal to ship ammunition to Chicago under the same FOID guidelines as the rest of the state of Illinois. Will you consider revising your policy?

=====

If they keep giving you hassle, I'd recommend using another vendor.

Just as an FYI I ordered from SPORTSMANS OUTDOOR SUPERSTORE on 3/29/2020 and my order is finally on the way, they did provide notice that they were swamped so the delay was expected. I am not in Chicago but I am in cook county if it helps.

I am still waiting on orders placed from other places.

Just as an FYI I ordered from SPORTSMANS OUTDOOR SUPERSTORE on 3/29/2020 and my order is finally on the way, they did provide notice that they were swamped so the delay was expected. I am not in Chicago but I am in cook county if it helps.

I am still waiting on orders placed from other places.

That's a distinction that is made here... Chicago traditionally has the highest hurdle to clear in terms of convincing vendors they could ship ammo. Cook County is a separate legal entity and would need its own thread. In parts of Cook, you can even drive to a real gun store and just buy over the counter, or buy from Wal Mart. Chicago still has no gun stores or ranges despite the passage of a law that was supposed to allow them, so Chicago residents often have no choice but to drive long distances for ammo or order online. Long story short, Cook County is not the same as Chicago and this guide needs to be kept distinct or people will be trying to purchase stuff and get denied and have their time wasted.

Specifically Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore on their shipping page say ammo shipping is restricted from sale to Chicago and several other locations. So they do not ship ammo to the City of Chicago. Yes, they are stupid for this, but they have a right to operate their business however they like.

Check the list on page 1 for lots of vendors who like us and aren't stupid.

Has the Chicago ordinance been challenged under the commerce clause of the US Constitution?

No.

Don't Think so.

And the thing about Chicago... A whole lot of the stuff on the books isn't really for the most of us. It's really for the folks "Hizzonor" hoped would move to the back in the day. The system expects you to find your way around the hurdles and keep yer mouth shut.

Most of your ammo vendors are too lazy to do any research and too cheap to hire a lawyer to read it. If Chicago wrote a new law asking ammo dealers to ship to Chicago residents, all the usual subjects would still deny us.

The thing to be aware of is there is no, zero, nada, ordinances making shipping ammunition to Chicago. Unfortunately with the games being played over the years, many retailers just decide not to take any chances. There is only a limited number of retailers that understand this and will ship to Chicago. Unfortunately Chicago has not updated the list of active ordinances that the Illinois State Police along with ATF lists as prohibitions and restrictions. This is what the retailers who refuse to ship to Chicago go by. IMHO, if Illinois State Police along with ATF are going to publish same restrictions and prohibitions, they should also be required to verify that information on an annual basis.

And since I am posting, I took a look at Bone Frog Gun Club the other night after seeing them listed as a GTG retailer. They offer a subscription to give you a discount on their ammo. They dont have a large selection but not too bad and their regular prices seem reasonable. But back to the subscription... Turns out they offer a free lifetime subscription to active military and veterans along with active and retired first responders. I went through the process and now have my free lifetime subscription. Now to follow through and order some ammo but I am not really needing anything in particular. I've been taking care of that a little at a time over the last several years...

The Chicago muni code, as pretty much from any other city in the state, can be looked up online. As said, I've never seen a local ordinance prohibiting ammo shipping or anything from the ILGA.

A while back when Lisa M was AG, there were rumors of a letter/notice going out to states about not being legal and getting sued by the state. Some even claimed to have seen, but requests for a copy never produced anything in any of the forums it was posted in.

The Chicago muni code, as pretty much from any other city in the state, can be looked up online. As said, I've never seen a local ordinance prohibiting ammo shipping or anything from the ILGA.

A while back when Lisa M was AG, there were rumors of a letter/notice going out to states about not being legal and getting sued by the state. Some even claimed to have seen, but requests for a copy never produced anything in any of the forums it was posted in.

There was never anything that banned drop-shipped ammo through the normal process (FedEx or UPS with the required ordnance label). For a number of years, Chicago had an ordinance that banned "transfer" of ammunition, which was intended to prevent retail gun shops from operating in the city. The Lincoln Park Gun Club operated at the lakefront until 1991 and plenty of ammunition was handed back and forth there without anyone being arrested. Anyway, the gun shops that won't ship ammo to Chicago usually cite this old ordinance (if they cite anything at all), even though this ordinance was completely struck out and replaced several years ago. The way I see it is businesses can operate however they like and if they choose to be stupid that's on them. We have many other options available to us, we don't need LuckyGunner or AIM Surplus and similar.

So far ammunitionstore.com has been most successful for shipping ammo to the city. Due to the epidemic they have been swamped with orders that the lead time for shipping is about 2-3 weeks. Took them about a month for them to ship my 9mm order, and I just placed another order of 9mm with them. As long they continue to ship to the city, I will be a returning customer regardless of the lead times (due to the epidemic) :D :D :D :D :D

• 3 months later...

Gentlemen, I have a suggestion. I know I haven't been here as long as most of you, so feel free to say "shut up, newbie". If not, though - I could use your help. Together, I believe we could render this thread useless and convince all online ammunition retailers to ship to Chicago. Bear with me here.[/size]
The idea in a nutshell is this; we use social media to out these retailers and put friendly (but firm) pressure on them to either start selling to Chicago residents, or publicly state a valid reason why they will not. After all, perhaps there is something we're not aware of.

Thanks bbkchicago.

The Chicago Ammo Sales and Social Media discussion has been moved to it's own topic.

• 1 month later...

0 Customer service and sales representatives do not make corporate policy, nor can they change it, nor are they lawyers.

1 If you write a letter to the CEO or the legal department, they'll just forward it to Customer service without reading it.

2 GOTO 0

Hey man... I was just trying to update the string on some recent experiences. It hadn't looked like the list had been updated/changed in a while.

Was just trying to be helpful to the group. I fully recognize that Midway isn't going to change their policies... didn't need the lecture.

God bless.

• 1 month later...

Warning/beware: I ordered ammo online. The next day my bank card stopped working, and my bank notified me that they froze my bank card due to suspicious spending. I still believe that most if not all online ammo stores are reputable and law abiding.

My bank told me that two orders to another company unrelated to ammunition charged me over $900 each, and a few smaller charges had also occurred, again for items I never ordered, again from other non ammo companies. Of course, any other various merchants I patronize could have just as easily have an employee who could have stolen my bank card numbers, but the coincidence of the timing made me more cautious today. If one can ride it out, and instead work on or wait for ammo one can purchase in person at a trusted store, you'd be safer financially. If you are a victim of cyber crime, please immediately contact your bank card company such as your bank or credit card company, and they may pay you back, or credit you, and issue you a new card, just remember if you need to change your card number you have on file with any of your regular ongoing merchants. Stay safe friends.

Warning/beware: I ordered ammo online. The next day my bank card stopped working, and my bank notified me that they froze my bank card due to suspicious spending. I still believe that most if not all online ammo stores are reputable and law abiding.

My bank told me that two orders to another company unrelated to ammunition charged me over $900 each, and a few smaller charges had also occurred, again for items I never ordered, again from other non ammo companies. Of course, any other various merchants I patronize could have just as easily have an employee who could have stolen my bank card numbers, but the coincidence of the timing made me more cautious today. If one can ride it out, and instead work on or wait for ammo one can purchase in person at a trusted store, you'd be safer financially. If you are a victim of cyber crime, please immediately contact your bank card company such as your bank or credit card company, and they may pay you back, or credit you, and issue you a new card, just remember if you need to change your card number you have on file with any of your regular ongoing merchants. Stay safe friends.

Couple questions:

1. Did you order ammo from someone on our list of vendors? If so, which one?

2. Are you confident your credit card info wasn't hacked (virus on your computer or phone?)

Also, I would always recommend using a credit card over a bank/debit card for online purchases. The credit card company will never hold you responsible for unauthorized purchases, whereas banks sometimes don't offer the same protection.

• 2 months later...

Please add Kentucky Gun Co, case delivered this week.

https://www.kygunco.com/

They used to be on the list. I had ordered ammo several times from them in the past and commented on this thread. They were added on the list after that but then disappeared for some reason.

You can read about why they were removed here: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54598&page=12&do=findComment&comment=1073407

The wishy washy inconsistent ones are even more frustrating than the ones who simply say no because you never know what you're getting with them. One person will have no problems, then someone else places an order and has their time wasted. We really need for this list to be as accurate as possible and folks become understandably upset when they place an order through someone on this list and have their order refused or canceled. So it's probably best to leave them off.

Archived