LOOK at this BS!

Uncle Harley

The way it is worded, I probably would have said no too! Not once did I read " Law abiding citizens " This just shows that studies and polls are a farse it all depends on the wording and the inflection of the tone of voice that the questioner presents.

If they would call 600 people with an up tempo voice, that says,

" Do you think now is the right time to allow fully trained LAW ABIDING CITIZENS who have jumped through all of the states hoops to get fingerprinted and subject themselves to background checks to excercise their right to defend themselves from thugs and rapist? Do you agree that now is the time Yes? No? Undecided? ......Undecided no problem, maybe hearing arguments from both sides will help you decide. The argmunts are, the gun right advocates think it will be tougher for criminals to determin who is a victom and therfore it will be less likely for them to attack un suspecting victims . 49 other states have statistics that back up this claim, and all but one of the IL County Sherrifs happen to agree with them. They also state that the police can't be with you everywhere you go, it's there job to catch the criminal after the fact, not protect you during an incodent. The oponents claim that more guns on the street will cause more gun violence. After hearing the arguements of both supporters and non supporters alike do you feel more strongly about the matter. Yes? No? Still unsure ?

I would venture to guess somewhere in the 90 percentile aproval with a true broad spectrum poll of N. S. E. Western IL residents.

They will try to use this in the task force hearing

This is where you can show the political bias of this so called unbiased group.

Have a look at the photos in their banner and at the lists of clientele at the bottom of the page.

Their politics are clearly left-leaning.

http://www.mellmangroup.com/

Additionally, is this about popularity or is it about compliance with the constitution?

More than anything, you see the Brady Bunch and VPC using these buzz words like "concealed, LOADED handguns" all the time. This is a media research firm, and the Antis use these verbal cues from their research in every single sound bite they give.

Do you think now is the right time to allow fully trained LAW ABIDING CITIZENS who have jumped through all of the states hoops to get fingerprinted and subject themselves to background checks to excercise their right to defend themselves from thugs and rapist? Do you agree that now is the time too join the 49 OTHER states that allow their citizens to protect their family?

Sounds like some of the Mellman Group need to be rounded up and dropped off at 55th and Ashland, maybe even the west side. That would change their mind quickly!!

I prefer 73rd and Cottage Grove, at 3am

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

They will try to use this in the task force hearing

Todd, can the new survey results out (reported in the Chicago Tribune, no less), help refute the Mellman survey? Especially given that this poll seems to be pretty unbiased (I'm not sure who funded it), whereas the Mellman poll was funded by a group with a clear agenda...

My link

Deborah CharlesReuters 2:28 p.m. CDT, April 13, 2012

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Most Americans support the right to use deadly force to protect themselves - even in public places - and have a favorable view of the National Rifle Association, the main gun-lobby group, a Reuters/Ipsos poll showed.

However, there was also strong support from respondents for background checks as well as limiting the sale of automatic weapons and keeping guns out of churches, stores and workplaces.

The online survey showed that 68 percent, or two out of three respondents, had a favorable opinion of the NRA, which starts its annual convention in St. Louis, Missouri, on Friday.

Eighty-two percent of Republicans saw the gun lobbying group in a positive light as well as 55 percent of Democrats, findings that run counter to the perception of Democrats as anti-NRA.

Most of the 1,922 people surveyed nationwide from April Monday through Thursday said they supported laws that allow Americans to use deadly force to protect themselves from danger in their own home or in a public place.

"Americans do hold to this idea that people should be allowed to defend themselves and using deadly force is fine, in those circumstances," said pollster Chris Jackson. "In the theoretical ... there's a certain tolerance of vigilantism."

The poll was conducted amid a nationwide debate over gun rights and race after the Florida shooting of an unarmed black teenager, Trayvon Martin byGeorge Zimmerman, a neighborhood crime watch volunteer who is white and Hispanic.

The poll results were welcomed by the NRA, which is one of the most powerful lobby groups in the country and regularly clashes with anti-gun groups and often with Democrats as it seeks to protect and expand gun rights across the United States.

"Regardless of how others try to distort our position, the general public knows where we stand," said NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam. "It shows the failure of the continuing efforts of many to try and discredit the National Rifle Association."

Mitt Romney, the likely Republican presidential nominee, spoke to the convention on Friday, vowing to reverse what he calls the restrictive gun policies of President Barack Obama's administration.

"We need a president who will stand up for the rights of hunters, sportsmen, and those seeking to protect their homes and their families," he said. "President Obama has not. I will."

Eighty-seven percent of respondents - with high numbers among both Republicans and Democrats - supported the use of deadly force to protect themselves from danger in their home.

Two-thirds said they backed laws permitting the use of deadly force to protect themselves in public.

(Link to poll: http://www.ipsos-na....e.aspx?id=5586)

GUN RESTRICTIONS NEEDED

According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, nearly 100,000 people are shot every year in the United States in murders, suicides, accidents or police intervention.

Government statistics show 31,347 people died in the United States in 2009 from gunshots, including 11,493 in homicides.

Ninety-one percent of those who responded to the survey agreed on the need for background checks before a firearm can be sold. Only 6 percent said they thought gun ownership should require no, or very few restrictions.

Nearly three-quarters of respondents said they supported limiting the sale of automatic weapons, and 62 percent oppose bringing firearms into churches, workplaces or stores.

"A fairly large number of Americans support strong regulation, or at least moderate regulation of gun ownership," said Jackson. "Which is sort of counter to the narrative you often hear that legislators can't touch our guns or you'll have to pay."

Nearly half of those surveyed felt crime rates were rising where they lived - even though FBI statistics show that violent crime has declined for the past 4 1/2 years.

"People's perception of crime always over-represents reality," said Jackson. "I think that indicates the mind frame that the American public is in - there's always a constant low-level worrying about street crime."

As a result, 85 percent of those polled said they did not believe police could stop all crime and 77 percent felt regular people had to "step up" to help prevent crime from happening.

The survey included 650 Republicans, 752 Democrats and 520 independents. The precision of the Reuters/Ipsos online poll is measured using a credibility interval and this poll has a credibility interval of plus or minus 2.6 percentage points for all respondents.

For a graphic of the poll please click: http://link.reuters.com/teh67s

(Editing by David Brunnstrom and Philip Barbara)

I've been searching, but I can't find the thread on the task force. Anyone know the latest on this? Have they put anything out yet?

Here's the link for Rep. Ford's concealed carry task force thread. Not much to see there and Todd assured us we'd be updated as soon as he hears something.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28795&view=findpost&p=308987

They meet one more time this Friday, Apr. 20. Focus of that meeting is suppose to a comparison of carry laws

in the other 49 states. Meeting is in Chicago, open to the public if anyone would like to sit in and observe.

Caution though, you are likely to hear a lot of nonsense and it is prudent to observe proper protocol and

not be a disturbance or distraction. Trust me, that's NOT EASY!!

I believe the report/recommendations from the meetings are to be made by

May 1st.

Look at this heepin helpin of misinformation. I thought I was watching CNN for a minute!

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/opinions/x1726859261/Readers-oppose-concealed-carry-legislation

Archived