Removing tape from a gun stock

jfd287

So one of my children thought my Mosin Nagant stock would look better if it was black. So he wrapped the stock in black gorilla tape.

What’s the best way to get the tape off with doing the least amount of damage to the finish of the stock. The tape is taking off the varnish/or whatever oil the stock was finished with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The adhesive on Gorilla Tape is extremely corrosive to paints and varnishes, as well as oils, I have found. You might be best served bringing it to a someone who works on wood restoration and have them take it off, and refinish the stock. I think that's going to be your most reasonable option.

You might try applying Goo Gone to the tape. Let it sit for awhile. If it penetrates, it should soften the adhesive. You could also apply it under the tape as you gently peel it back.

On-line, people report it will not harm finished wood. I’ve used it successfully on metal surfaces to clean things up, but never on wood. I might give it a try to remove candle wax from a table. Darned kids... and not even mine!

You might try applying Goo Gone to the tape. Let it sit for awhile. If it penetrates, it should soften the adhesive. You could also apply it under the tape as you gently peel it back.

On-line, people report it will not harm finished wood. Ive used it successfully on metal surfaces to clean things up, but never on wood. I might give it a try to remove candle wax from a table. Darned kids... and not even mine!

Yes Goo Gone. It will emulsify the glue. I have also used on cars to remove those darn dealer stickers on the back of cars.

On-line, people report it will not harm finished wood. Ive used it successfully on metal surfaces to clean things up, but never on wood. I might give it a try to remove candle wax from a table. Darned kids... and not even mine!

I've used Goo Gone successfully before but never on a stock. Their web site says finished wood should be ok as mentioned..

Archived