New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. The City of New York

Anyone is as long as they've paid $100 for admission to the bar. Or whatever it costs now. It doesn't mean he should be allowed to intervene on behalf of a municipal respondent and contradict the party's filed briefs.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

When I lived in Illinois I shared a driveway with a Navy JAG officer. He said there was some sort of credentialing that had to be done. I'm going off of that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Supreme Court of the United States

INSTRUCTIONS FOR ADMISSION TO THE BAR

Attached is the application form for your personal statement, as required by Supreme Court Rule 5.2, including space for endorsement by two sponsors. The sponsors must be members of the Bar of this Court who know you personally and are not related to you by blood or marriage. One of the sponsors or another member of the Bar, including a relative, may move your admission. ... You must obtain a certificate of good standing from the presiding judge, clerk, or other authorized official of the highest court of a State, Commonwealth, Territory or Possession, or of the District of Columbia, evidencing the fact that you have been a member of the Bar of such court for at least three years and are in good standing. ... To qualify for admission to the Bar of this Court, an applicant must ... not have been the subject of any adverse disciplinary action pronounced or in effect during that 3-year period; and must appear to the Court to be of good moral and professional character.

2. Each applicant shall file with the Clerk (1) a certificate from the presiding judge, clerk, or other authorized official of that court evidencing the applicant’s admission to practice there and the applicant’s current good standing, and (2) a completely executed copy of the form approved by this Court and furnished by the Clerk containing (a) the applicant’s personal statement, and (B) the statement of two sponsors endorsing the correctness of the applicant’s statement, stating that the applicant possesses all the qualifications required for admission, and affirming that the applicant is of good moral and professional character. Both sponsors must be members of the Bar of this Court who personally know, but are not related to, the applicant.

3. If the documents submitted demonstrate that the applicant possesses the necessary qualifications, and if the applicant has signed the oath or affirmation and paid the required fee, the Clerk will notify the applicant of acceptance by the Court as a member of the Bar and issue a certificate of admission. ...

4. Each applicant shall sign the following oath or affirmation: I, ........................................................ , do solemnly swear (or affirm) that as an attorney and as a counselor of this Court, I will conduct myself uprightly and according to law, and that I will support the Constitution of the United States. All original signatures must be on one page together.

Not really. The rules are boilerplate that's required by every Article III court for bar admission. This isn't any different as far as I can tell since the rules for admission to district and circuit courts are the same (last I checked). Two unrelated sponsors, check. I ignore that good moral character nonsense because of how many scumbag lawyers I know of who have never had any disciplinary actions taken against them despite clear evidence of fraud perpetrated on the court. Or they have but it's been several years since then. In fact, I have personal knowledge of two lawyers who have been to federal prison for tax crimes, who still practice law, licenses in good standing, stipulated to have licenses suspended while in prison, and both of whom would qualify for admission to the Supreme Court Bar if they have their two SCOTUS-admitted sponsors.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Not really. The rules are boilerplate that's required by every Article III court for bar admission. This isn't any different as far as I can tell since the rules for admission to district and circuit courts are the same (last I checked). Two unrelated sponsors, check. I ignore that good moral character nonsense because of how many scumbag lawyers I know of who have never had any disciplinary actions taken against them despite clear evidence of fraud perpetrated on the court. Or they have but it's been several years since then. In fact, I have personal knowledge of two lawyers who have been to federal prison for tax crimes, who still practice law, licenses in good standing, stipulated to have licenses suspended while in prison, and both of whom would qualify for admission to the Supreme Court Bar if they have their two SCOTUS-admitted sponsors. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I know of a lawyer who "was suspended for one year, stayed, placed on two years of probation with a 30-day actual suspension..."

He was subsequently admitted to the SCOTUS bar.

Paying a small filing fee, and getting two references ain't much of a hurdle.

Update in the Cheeseman case, "Aug 19 2019 Response Requested. (Due September 18, 2019)"

The Respondents can ask for an up to sixty day extension to file the Response. One would think they would simply boilerplate one of their previously filed responses.

• 3 weeks later...

SCOTUSblog

Last for this overview, and perhaps least, an odd New York City regulation raised significant questions about how Second Amendment gun control laws should be evaluated. But the regulation and a New York state licensing statute have since been amended, and New York has asked that the case be dismissed as moot. Although some justices may be itching for a Second Amendment vehicle, chances are this case will not be it.

IMO New York City's law was so wrong that I don't think it would need a very strict standard to be struck down. Perhaps that's what the author of the blog meant, but I suspect he means that the court will indeed rule the case moot. I don't think it will. If/when it doesn't, it's still a start at addressing the "bear" part of "keep and bear" at the US Supreme Court level, even if it's only transport. Heller and McDonald were just about the "keep" part.

IL-GUNLOBBY

Being reported by one of the NRA attorney's Chuck Michel

...BREAKING: the United States Supreme Court has scheduled oral argument in the NYSRPA v NYC 2A "bear arms" case for Monday December 2, 2019. So the Court will not immediately dismiss the case on mootness grounds as NYC requested after it repealed the challenged laws. However, the Court will probably hear argument on both the mootness issues AND the 2A issue on 12/2/19, and could decide to dismiss the case on mootness grounds after that. Otherwise we will likely get a ruling at the end of the Supreme Court's session in June 2020. NRA is supporting this vital and potentially game changing case. JOIN NRA (and CRPA)!...

The cert petition had already been accepted before all this mootness crap started flying. The case probably got scheduled for oral arguments based on that alone.

The court could still choose to dismiss it in the "long conference" on October 1, which we'd find out on October 7. Personally, I doubt it. As long as at least 4 justices want to hear it, the show will go on. Plus I think the amicus brief by the Becket Fund is on point: allowing voluntary cessation by a large, powerful repeat-litigator like NYC invites government abuse of power. I'd go farther and say that the court might announce that they have disposed of the mootness option and will not entertain any time on it in orals.

The cert petition had already been accepted before all this mootness crap started flying. The case probably got scheduled for oral arguments based on that alone.

The court could still choose to dismiss it in the "long conference" on October 1, which we'd find out on October 7. Personally, I doubt it. As long as at least 4 justices want to hear it, the show will go on. Plus I think the amicus brief by the Becket Fund is on point: allowing voluntary cessation by a large, powerful repeat-litigator like NYC invites government abuse of power. I'd go farther and say that the court might announce that they have disposed of the mootness option and will not entertain any time on it in orals.

That will certainly make 5 Democrats very unhappy. :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

SAF HAILS HIGH COURT’S DECISION TO MOVE N.Y. GUN LAW CHALLENGE FORWARD

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation today cheered the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to move forward with a case that challenges a New York City gun law that was so restrictive the city amended it, and then tried to get the high court to dismiss the case.

“We’re delighted that the Supreme Court will move this important case forward,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “The Second Amendment Foundation has filed an amicus brief in support of overturning this egregious attempt to infringe on the right to keep and bear arms. We are confident that the high court will ultimately rule in favor of Second Amendment rights.”

The city scrambled to change the law once the court decided to accept the case for review earlier this year. The challenge is brought by the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association.

“It’s outrageous that the city has furiously tried to derail this case by changing the law,” Gottlieb stated. “That says volumes not only about the city’s fear of having to defend their restrictive gun control law before the court, but it also suggests to us that the city knew all along their law would not pass the constitutional smell test under any level of scrutiny, and they panicked.

“New York, and other state and local governments, have been getting away with adopting ridiculously oppressive gun regulations because lower courts have thumbed their noses at previous Supreme Court rulings in favor of the Second Amendment,” he added.

“Equally outrageous, if not moreso,” Gottlieb observed, “was the attempt by Capitol Hill Democrats led by Rhode Island Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse to bully the high court by filing a brief to dismiss the case or face the possibility that Democrats would pack the court. How dare Whitehouse and his associates attempt such coercion. We’re proud of the Supreme Court justices for ignoring this threat to their independence as a separate branch of government.

“The Democrats’ political demagoguery obviously backfired, and rightly so,” he said. “It just might cost them in November 2020.”

https://www.saf.org/saf-hails-high-courts-decision-to-move-n-y-gun-law-challenge-forward/

This is the kind of logic and nonsense that $%#$%@#$^ me off to no end.

"But the court still may decide to declare the case moot after hearing oral arguments in December, particularly after mass shootings this summer in Texas, Ohio and elsewhere."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/10/07/guns-supreme-court-keeps-gun-rights-case-docket/3857970002/

What does a criminal act in Texas and Ohio have to do with whether a law in NY is a violations of a Constitutional right? Those criminal acts should not even be taken into consideration!

My rights (and others) don't magicaly diminish and/or get reduced because of a few isolated criminal acts and for people to suggest a few criminal acts should dictate policy and how the Supreme Court reviews and interprets my rights in the Constitution is downright disgusting!

Guys, I guess it's ok to obsess your minds about all this stuff, but how about:

YOU JUST GO OUT SHOOTING and HAVE SOME FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is 24 hours in a day, plenty of time to a lot of different things, for example I went out today and bought another AR-15 lower and still have some time to post here.

Guys, I guess it's ok to obsess your minds about all this stuff, but how about:

YOU JUST GO OUT SHOOTING and HAVE SOME FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is 24 hours in a day, plenty of time to a lot of different things, for example I went out today and bought another AR-15 lower and still have some time to post here.

I just milled another and frankly I don't even like AR-15's.

Neal Goldfarb has again been denied his motion to argue that the Supreme Court should never have accepted NYSRPA's cert petition and that it decided Heller wrongly, because it doesn't understand what the 2nd Amendment really means.

Docket

Even setting his legal arguments aside, it seems like he's asking the justices to let him come before them to tell them that they're stupid.... and they turned him down.

Meanwhile, the US DOJ will also be participating in oral arguments in support of the NYSRPA.

• 2 weeks later...

Harvard Law Review

The liberal Justices in the minority have a last-ditch strategy that would sacrifice the specific gun restriction at issue in this case, yet save a number of far more critical gun control measures around the county.

The suit challenges a New York City regulation requiring owners of city-conferred "premises licenses" to keep their guns inside their homes at all times...

But the challengers now make clear in their brief before the Court that they are no longer interested in just the two modest travel freedoms for premises license holders. Instead, the challengers want the Court to issue a sweeping ruling that "the Second Amendment protects a right to carry arms outside the home," period.

It turns out the Second Amendment argument is not the only constitutional challenge in this case. ... But there is another constitutional challenge worthy of our interest: a challenge based on the Dormant Commerce Clause.

Just as New Jersey can't forbid its residents to eat at New York City restaurants, New York City can't forbid its residents to bring their guns to New Jersey shooting ranges.

Suppose the four liberal Justices expressed their willingness to join an opinion striking down New York City's premises license restrictions on this Dormant Commerce Clause ground. For his part, Chief Justice Roberts might be especially interested in crafting a majority opinion on this rationale, since it would produce a unanimous ruling in favor of the challengers.... Indeed, it is possible that Justices Alito and Kavanaugh might join the Dormant Commerce Clause majority as well, viewing that as a worthwhile compromise ruling in favor of gun owners that does not inject the Court into the heated, broader nationwide argument over the Second Amendment and public carry limits....

Harvard Law Review

The liberal Justices in the minority have a last-ditch strategy that would sacrifice the specific gun restriction at issue in this case, yet save a number of far more critical gun control measures around the county.

The suit challenges a New York City regulation requiring owners of city-conferred "premises licenses" to keep their guns inside their homes at all times...

But the challengers now make clear in their brief before the Court that they are no longer interested in just the two modest travel freedoms for premises license holders. Instead, the challengers want the Court to issue a sweeping ruling that "the Second Amendment protects a right to carry arms outside the home," period.

It turns out the Second Amendment argument is not the only constitutional challenge in this case. ... But there is another constitutional challenge worthy of our interest: a challenge based on the Dormant Commerce Clause.

Just as New Jersey can't forbid its residents to eat at New York City restaurants, New York City can't forbid its residents to bring their guns to New Jersey shooting ranges.

Suppose the four liberal Justices expressed their willingness to join an opinion striking down New York City's premises license restrictions on this Dormant Commerce Clause ground. For his part, Chief Justice Roberts might be especially interested in crafting a majority opinion on this rationale, since it would produce a unanimous ruling in favor of the challengers.... Indeed, it is possible that Justices Alito and Kavanaugh might join the Dormant Commerce Clause majority as well, viewing that as a worthwhile compromise ruling in favor of gun owners that does not inject the Court into the heated, broader nationwide argument over the Second Amendment and public carry limits....

The guys suggestion doesn't solve the intrastate issues brought up in the case and since those issues are not entirely mooted by NY's quick revamp of the law that can easily be reversed, his suggested ruling would be half butted and not address the core issues brought up in the case. He is literally suggesting the Court ignore the core issues of the case and rule on speculated fringe concerns that would open the door for NY to continue to infringe intrastate with a revamp of the law.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived