Known legal ramifications on modifying CCW internals?

mblackheart

Fish

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15199221/ns/dateline_nbc-crime_reports/t/trail-evidence/

I have a Sig 938 i originally bought for my wife because she liked it. After shooting it, she didn't like it.

Trigger pull very hard (don't remember actual poundage) and safety very difficult to engage.

I've followed Massood Ayoob's writing for probably 30+ years. On another forum, this same topic was being discussed so i posted about this Sig and he responded. His response was basically to effect that was ok to bring it down to more normal trigger pull weight for a single action semi auto self defense pistol (4.5 - 5.5 lbs). I'm trying to find my question and his response so can copy here.

Anyway, I got that 938 out and shot it again the other day. Reminded me what i did and didnt like about it. Called Sig customer service. Rep said they measure weight differently than many so even a 12 pound pull on regular gauge likely within spec and theyd just return without mod or tuning if so. So... i called and ordered a galloway precision crusader replacement trigger and reduced weight spring. Gunsmith installing.

FWIW: Recent events (like church shooting and my church working out plans) have me rethinking carry guns a bit. Now i'm asking myself - not only can i get a stopping shot off quickly at bad breath distance, but can i - with this weapon - make a stopping hit on a shooter from across the church full of running screaming people without much risk to an innocent. Different standard. Maybe different weapon and preparation needed. Accuracy will be important in achieving that goal and a horrible trigger won't help.

What about taking into consideration mods made for a "senior citizen"?

An elderly relative of mine was having trouble cocking the hammer on their SP-101 (.38 Sp.) and even MORE trouble pulling the trigger in DA mode. A gunsmith would not DO the work but did tell me what to do. The coil spring in the butt was shortened by 3-4 turns, reducing the almost 30 lb. DA pull to a more manageable 10 lbs.

It is still hard for this relative but at least they can use the gun again.

I defy a prosecutor to go after a person in their late 80s for making it easier to protect themselves.

Typo? I don't think any DA gun has a 30 lb pull. 10 I'll buy.

An elderly relative of mine was having trouble cocking the hammer on their SP-101 (.38 Sp.) and even MORE trouble pulling the trigger in DA mode. A gunsmith would not DO the work but did tell me what to do. The coil spring in the butt was shortened by 3-4 turns, reducing the almost 30 lb. DA pull to a more manageable 10 lbs.

I defy a prosecutor to go after a person in their late 80s for making it easier to protect themselves.

No typo. When the gunsmith put the gauge on it and tested it, even he was dumb-founded by how excessive it was. When he pulled the panels off of the butt, he said it appeared to be a stock spring as he could not find any indications that it had ever had any work done to it. But, like I said, liability would not allow him to do personally what he talked me through. Even I had trouble with it before the spring was altered but I was in my mid-50s at the time and I'm now over 60 with arthritic hands.

You've never tried the DA trigger on a Polish P-64 (9x18mm Mak), have you?

Nope. I haven't had the chance to handle a lot of different kinds of firearms, mostly the ones I own. I have looked at several lever-action rifles before I got my Marlin 1894 in .357 two years ago. It and a Keltec PMR-30 in .22 Mag. are the two most recent acquisitions and I was specifically looking for the Keltec, unlike the 1894.

What happens, or could happen to someone newer to firearms & concealed carry if they bought a used firearm that had some mods done to it, unknown to them, and they are involved in an incident? A trigger taken down from a heavy factory pull to something more manageable, perhaps a sight upgrade, nothing crazy, but done before the used firearm was purchased? Joe Newguy might take it to a shop to have it looked over to make sure it's safe, and come out with an answer of it being a safe firearm.

I have one of those, the DA pull is horrendous. Ironically the SA trigger is as good as the DA trigger is bad, I shoot that little pistol very well in SA. Except I can't do more than a few mags because it has sharp edges that feel like they cut into your hand with every shot... should really get some shooting gloves for that one!

I have one of those, the DA pull is horrendous. Ironically the SA trigger is as good as the DA trigger is bad, I shoot that little pistol very well in SA. Except I can't do more than a few mags because it has sharp edges that feel like they cut into your hand with every shot... should really get some shooting gloves for that one!

I put a 16# mainspring from Wolff into a P-64. The DA pull still exceeds the 12# maximum of my gauge, but it is manageable. SA is very nice.

Archived