Welcome John Weber - New NRA Liaison to IL!

Molly B.

IllinoisCarry would like to extend a warm welcome to John Weber, NRA's new liaison for Illinois. Mr. B and I had the pleasure of meeting with him this past week. We look forward to working with John and welcome him to the battle of protecting and expanding our Second Amendment rights here in Illinois.

John joined NRA from the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC), where he worked as Field Finance Director, overseeing fundraising operations for targeted congressional races in the NRCC’s successful 2016 election cycle. In this position, he worked as a liaison to House leadership including the offices of Speaker Paul Ryan and Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy.

Weber is a respected and successful campaign manager, having run the campaign of Illinois Congressman Mike Bost in 2014, and managing the successful race of Montana Attorney General Tim Fox in 2012, winning an office previously held by Democrats for 30 years. He’s also worked for the late Illinois State Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka, Bill Brady for Illinois Governor, Congressman Randy Hultgren (IL), and the Montana Republican Party.

John graduated from James Madison University in 2008 with a degree in political science.

My understanding is that Shannon is no longer assigned to Illinois. Mr. Weber is the liaison for three states, one of which is Illinois.

Cyberdrive IL has both John and Shannon listed as active for now so maybe Shannon will still be around for a period of time too.

Lobbying Entity Search Information

Entity Name: NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA

Entity ID: 1123 Status: IN COMPLIANCE

Reg Year: 2018 Registration Date: 01/03/2018

Exclusive Lobbyist(s)

Name File Date Termination Date

ALFORD, SHANNON 01/03/2018 N/A

WEBER, JOHN 01/03/2018 N/A

Contractual Firm(s)

No Firms on record

Client(s)

No Clients on record

Sub Client(s)

No Sub Clients on record

Is Mr. Weber a member of the forums here? Will he be keeping us posted like T.V. always tried to do? I always liked the behind the scenes updates as they settled my nerves.

I hope to see participation too, but Illinois is one of 3 states Mr Weber has per the post above. He is replacing Shannon and not a Todd replacement. The NRA is not contracting for a dedicated IL lobbyist as I understand it so we need to set our expectations appropriately.

I would also expect given the background, that this is just a short stop on the way to the next campaign or political position. There doesn't seem to be any direct lobbying experience other than perhaps being on the receiving end of the lobbying. Typical of political operatives I think is that he has had 6 or more different positions in 10 years. I just believe that lobbying is a long term relationship building position to have real impact and to learn how to read the politicians he is dealing with. Hopefully I am wrong. Time will tell but we should hope for the best.

Is Mr. Weber a member of the forums here? Will he be keeping us posted like T.V. always tried to do? I always liked the behind the scenes updates as they settled my nerves.

I hope to see participation too, but Illinois is one of 3 states Mr Weber has per the post above. He is replacing Shannon and not a Todd replacement. The NRA is not contracting for a dedicated IL lobbyist as I understand it so we need to set our expectations appropriately.

If there's anything this state needs it's a dedicated Lobbyist.

We do have dedicated lobbyists.

Illinois Carry has two lobbyists dedicated to furthering Your Right To Carry in Illinois.

They are very effective..

The ISRA also has lobbyists in Springfield.

Illinois Carry has two lobbyists dedicated to furthering Your Right To Carry in Illinois.

You are absolutely correct. I think the NRA name may give initial thought to some broader, more aggressive resources that can be brought to bear and it may feel IL will be getting less attention. Not to take this post off subject, but we do have the following pro 2A lobbying groups (are there more?) and we've seen the results from IC, Todd, etc.

NRA: John Weber

IllinoisCarry: Mike and Valinda

ISRA: Richard Pearson, William Potts Jr, James Vinopal, EO Sullivan consulting

FFLs of IL: Todd Vandermyde consultants

Todd V. came over to the NRA when he was still a lobbyist for ABATE of Illinois. Todd himself would tell you that a lobbyist is ONLY as effective as those he represents (you and me) are active and involved. Todd knew if the members of ABATE were told to JAM the phone lines to Springfield it was good as done. I personally know of times when Representatives and Senators pleaded for Todd to "make the phone calls STOP! There's no work getting done ... other than answering phone calls from your people!"

I could give other examples, but the message here is that a lobbyist is only effective if his people are ENGAGED. You have to be active and put in your time, going to Springfield for IGOLD and planting campaign yard signs for the gun friendly candidates and if nothing else writing letters and making phone calls. THAT'S what gets an elected official's attention! People that if angered might put him out of office!

I feel I have to say it, the younger folks coming up are just not willing to do this. (Not all of them, but most I think) They are more concerned with acquiring the newest mobile phone or tech gadget. And they are happy to just live with the hard earned freedoms that was gained by those before them. ABATE is seeing this as I'm sure are other organizations. It's harder to sign up members. The younger generations are just not as engaged in politics.

As Todd is well known for saying, "Freedom isn't free!"

You are correct Lou. My comment was directed more at the National Level. Meaning I believe the NRA should have a dedicated lobbyist for Illinois. If John Weber is assigned to 3 different states then in my eyes he's not dedicating 100% of his time to Illinois. I also agree with InterestedByStanders comment about more aggressive resources from the NRA. Just my .02 cents.

Why isn't the Gun Dealer Licensing bill mentioned in the latest Legal & Legislative roundup on the NRA website?

https://www.nraila.org/legal-legislation/

The articles concerning it are from last November. There should have been an article in there explaining how Representative Kathleen Willis and anti-gun politicians in Illinois would be making a push to pass this bill in the new session.

Yes, we have dedicated 2A lobbyists in IL. My comment earlier was not meant to disparage the fine work the people at IC or the ISRA do for us. It was directed more at the national level (NRA), because here in IL (like other states...em, WA) there is the potential to either set a powerful, terrible precedent for the rest of the country or jump on the bandwagon of things have happened in other states.

I appreciate everything that our lobbyists have done for us so far. I agree it is time for the rest of us to stand up or shut up.

Archived