Medical Marijuana And Concealed Carry

BIGDEESUL

Any drug that anybody would do in spite of making them unemployable, a felon, and broke is bad.

May be true, but who are we to say someone that wants to take it shouldn't? Aren't we about personal freedoms and choice, along with responsibility for those decisions?

Yes, we are for those things. I support decriminalization for "user" amounts of mj. I also support medical use, but I would prefer that it was dispensed through a regular doctor/pharmacy arrangement. But that is far from promotion and it is far from propagating the idea that there isn't anything wrong with it.

Any drug that anybody would do in spite of making them unemployable, a felon, and broke is bad.

May be true, but who are we to say someone that wants to take it shouldn't? Aren't we about personal freedoms and choice, along with responsibility for those decisions?

Yes, we are for those things. I support decriminalization for "user" amounts of mj. I also support medical use, but I would prefer that it was dispensed through a regular doctor/pharmacy arrangement. But that is far from promotion and it is far from propagating the idea that there isn't anything wrong with it.

The regular doctor/pharmacy arrangement is such a con.

A person who knows what is ailing them should not have to go to doctor.

Here is the thing with marijuana, helps with all kinds of ailments. Was used millennia, even in our medicine until some rich wise men convinced us we should ban it because negros and mexicans used it to get white girls. These men the got richer by replacing hemp with wood and petrochemical products they owned. Yet here we are 80 some years later and people are still believing all the government propaganda, use the internet people, specifically google scholar, figure it out already...

The doctor/pharmacy arrangement would not work due to criminals robbing pharmacies. Just take a look at how many get robbed at the present time or dispensaries in CO that have been held up.

The dispensaries in IL have the product delivered by Armored car, everything is monitored by cameras and a armed guard, and you can't even get in the door unless you have a card and another form of ID.

Even the parking lot is monitored so that patients do not have problems being as it's a cash only business.

Here is the thing with marijuana, helps with all kinds of ailments. Was used millennia, even in our medicine until some rich wise men convinced us we should ban it because negros and mexicans used it to get white girls. These men the got richer by replacing hemp with wood and petrochemical products they owned. Yet here we are 80 some years later and people are still believing all the government propaganda, use the internet people, specifically google scholar, figure it out already...

People keep saying that it's all a conspiracy and govt propaganda, yet there is a large enough percentage of pot only users that make poor life decisions that the correlation between the drug and the effect is undeniable. It doesn't matter if some people can use it and still function normally, there are as many that will choose to just be high as much as possible with no regard for the world around them, and those people are a drain on society.

Liberty is great. I wish we could have 1789 again. But the reality of the matter is that there are millions of lackeys that will only take and never contribute if they have the option. The rule of law is all we have to keep that in check.

People keep saying that it's all a conspiracy and govt propaganda, yet there is a large enough percentage of pot only users that make poor life decisions that the correlation between the drug and the effect is undeniable. It doesn't matter if some people can use it and still function normally, there are as many that will choose to just be high as much as possible with no regard for the world around them, and those people are a drain on society.

Liberty is great. I wish we could have 1789 again. But the reality of the matter is that there are millions of lackeys that will only take and never contribute if they have the option. The rule of law is all we have to keep that in check.

Does the same rule apply to alcoholics? Or for that matter other addictions to everyday items such as keyboard cleaner.

Does the same rule apply to alcoholics? Or for that matter other addictions to everyday items such as keyboard cleaner.

While each drug's abuse and addiction is unique unto itself, they're all still drugs, and warrant consideration proportionate to their impact on public well being.

Now, one might want to draw the alcohol/prohibition parallel here, and that's fine by me. I've already said that I am in favor of the decriminalization of user amounts of pot. I cannot be sold on the legalize and tax idea, because of my own personal experience I am convinced that it is a gateway drug for many people.

While each drug's abuse and addiction is unique unto itself, they're all still drugs, and warrant consideration proportionate to their impact on public well being.

Now, one might want to draw the alcohol/prohibition parallel here, and that's fine by me. I've already said that I am in favor of the decriminalization of user amounts of pot. I cannot be sold on the legalize and tax idea, because of my own personal experience I am convinced that it is a gateway drug for many people.

First of all, I'm sorry that it has affected your family in such a negative way and I truly hope things work out.

We do agree on a lot of points and I actually was not comparing to alcohol/prohibition. As far as a gateway drug maybe, but the potential I think was already there regardless of pot.

I really can't say I'm for full legalization, the jury is still out on that point because of irresponsible people doing dumb things.

Like the guy eating a full brownie and claiming that's why he murdered his wife, although I call BS on that one.

Responsible people should not have their 2a right's taken away just because they seek relief from debilitating conditions through cannabis.

Can't say as I have heard of any mass murderer's on pot either, otherwise that would be a #1 headline in the mass media for months.

Enjoy this lovely fall day because winter will be here soon. You never really know when your expiration date is in my experience.

With all of the deaths due directly to smoking pot, it should stay illegal. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should there be purple here. Last LD50 studies I recall about pot made it virtually impossible to overdose or die directly from its use. The possibility existed only if force feed volumes beyond what you could consume naturally, like mice being given the equivalent THC as if consuming 5 pounds of pot. and a distinct impossibility if smoked. Anything else would be indirect.

To those who've said that marijuana is not a medicine....tell that to the people who ordinarily wouldn't have smoked or ingested marijuana, who now have the pain from their debilitating conditions helped far more than an opioid drug. Also tell the children who have Grand Mal seizures who've had the seizures stop dead in their tracks after their parents administered a marijuana nasal spray during the seizures. I've personally read case studies and watched videos of this.

It's time to turn off the pharma propaganda and start reading actual research on this stuff from actual scientists. Most of the anti marijuana studies I've read or heard revolved around negative side effects of people who abuse it versus just using it sparingly or as treatment for their debilitating diseases.

I have a relative right now who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia who's had doctors prescribing every drug to make her pain go away, and they all don't work and cause her to feel sick. Her doctor helped her get a card, and she has felt better ever since. She's never done drugs at all.

Many of the same hypocrites who are vocally against legalization are alcoholics. I know several of these types. I point this out to them even though they get angry with me bringing their own personal problems up.

This is another thing that our side of the aisle is stupid for. We criticize the left for wanting to control out lives, and then we advocate for the government to get more involved in people's lives? Gotta pick one, pro government involvement in our lives, or no government involvement. Having opinions for both makes us guilty of the same hypocrisy we accuse the left of all the time.

The government needs to end the prohibition and get out of this completely. I know potheads, and regardless of its legality, they're going to keep smoking pot. The same people I know, who like me don't smoke it, will continue to not smoke it if it were completely legal.

But this issue with losing your 2A rights over your choice to treat your debilitating illness is something we should all be fighting against, not for. Why are we okay with allowing the government to restrict people's 2A rights, when we're all completely fine with people taking vicodin and other drugs like them, as well as being alcoholics? Heroin is illegal.....yet we're fine with people having their 2A rights when a doctor prescribes an opioid painkiller? SMH.

With all of the deaths due directly to smoking pot, it should stay illegal. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh? Whaaat? Deaths from smoking pot? You need to post up a link to prove that one. As far as anyone knows, you cannot OD on THC so I would like to see your source for that info. I have never been for legalization but my attitude is shifting to leniency. I don't think anyone is capable of getting baked and shooting up a school or causing mayhem in the streets. They're too busy eating Taco Bell. IMO pot makes people lazy but if it helps people with their medical conditions then let 'em smoke. I know plenty of stoners so I have some insight into what pot does and does not do.

I think you would be very hard pressed to show us even one. It's certainly far safer than cigarettes or alcohol, and as far as I can tell is safer than deli meats.

Ingesting "pot" isn't, as far as I've been able to tell from researching it, dangerous unless you ingest it by having a very large weight of it dropped on your body, or if you smoke enough of it to cause lung problems from the smoke itself. I am not aware of any significant danger posed by ingesting it via other means other than from legal consequences, job consequences, or driving while impaired.

Nobody should drive or handle firearms while impaired.

Dont have the link, but I recall a report from a couple of years ago where 2 guys had cardiac events and the conclusion was the MJ was a contributing factor.

Not claiming it to be valid or not... http://www.medicaldaily.com/can-smoking-marijuana-kill-you-pot-use-linked-deaths-2-men-270261

OES NOES!!!!!! Two deaths where marijuana MAY have been a contributing factor that might have irritated an already existing medical condition, in over 1000 years of usage. Yeah, I made mention to those in another post.

Gosh - but more people have died from smoking, or drinking alcohol, or from falling in the shower, or drowned in swimming pools, or ran over by an idiot on his cell phone while driving, just in the time it took me to type this.

Some people are just too ingrained in the Gov't instilled, Racist, "Reefer Madness" BS to pull their heads out of the sand and actually LEARN something above what their Gov't masters have been feeding them.

I especially enjoy the folks who sit and brag about what whisky/beer/alcoholic beverage of choice they are imbibing in whilst all along condemning a naturally growing, God-Given plant as 'The Devils Weed'.

Rant over. Thanks for reading this far. If I offended anyone with my post - Get over it Cupcake. :D

I hope everyone has a Great Day!

Mike

Dont have the link, but I recall a report from a couple of years ago where 2 guys had cardiac events and the conclusion was the MJ was a contributing factor.

I remember a while back reading a story about a college football player who had tried cocaine for the first time and died from a heart attack. Now I'm not advocating for people to use coke, but about a year later I read a follow up story after the autopsy came back showing that he had an undiagnosed congenital heart defect.

When there are underlying undiagnosed abnormalities, especially with the heart, red bull will give a person a cardiac event. Had a friend who had a mild heart attack after drinking a large red bull for the first time. They discovered that he had a previously unknown issue with his heart.

But finding stories about marijuana causing deaths or significant health events due to use is far more difficult than finding people addicted to opioids, had alcohol poisoning, etc.

Just doing an apples to apples comparison of marijuana and alcohol.....what would one expect to find when looking at the negative issues surrounding the use of both? I'll go ahead and state the obvious, but one will find lives ruined due to alcohol abuse, alcohol poisonings, traffic fatalities including unintended victims, and women being raped while passed out drunk. I still can't believe that the reefer madness propaganda campaign close to 100 years later is still effective. It's legal in Colorado and has been for just over one year now. I've still yet to read any stories of "blood in the streets" aside from what you'd expect when something that was illegal for a long time suddenly is legalized. It would be like DC when their handgun ban was lifted and seeing a slight uptick in accidental discharges.

Portugal has legalized all drugs. While comparing other countries to ours isn't something that I like doing because of different family values, customs, etc....but if one were to look at the data, and how they've made it work, one would find that it's something that can be adapted to our country. All that money that we spend incarcerating users, small time dealers, etc. could go towards treatment programs, education on drugs, and focusing efforts on the big fish or importers of bulk drugs. Portugal saw a significant drop in new users, and more effective treatment has seen users who were addicts, slowly start becoming clean. Our method of incarcerating people who are only harming themselves because they want to do drugs causes far more harm to the individual than treating them, and is far more costly.

Here is what I believe would happen if we completely ended the war on drugs and everything was legalized and we followed the Portugal framework, which means that drugs aren't MORE readily available, they just focus on the importers versus the street level dealers instead. I believe that initially we'd see some negative effects in the first few years, but that would plateau and we'd see use across the board plummet. We have to pick and choose what we're spending money on, and continuing our war on drugs is just wasting money at this point and gives the government more power over us as individuals to make our own decisions. The cost of treatment would be far less than our current "war".

Should there be purple here. Last LD50 studies I recall about pot made it virtually impossible to overdose or die directly from its use. The possibility existed only if force feed volumes beyond what you could consume naturally, like mice being given the equivalent THC as if consuming 5 pounds of pot. and a distinct impossibility if smoked. Anything else would be indirect.

Yes, that should have been purple. Dang tapatalk.

I'm all in for complete recreational legalization. Anyone who claims pot to be their gateway drug to heavier drugs, most likely already have the "addictive" gene. Being a "Free" American, I believe we should have the final say as to what goes into our bodies. Government has yet to convince me they know what is best.

There is already a thread about the new 4473

Thanks for the parting gift Obongo

My keyboard broke trying to post. The last bit of the new 4473 concerns marijuana users, so this seems relevant to the thread. Details at end of story at link.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I also don't understand how people think physicians can prescribe marijuana, as many of these medical marijuana laws require. Physicians are licensed to prescribe medication by the DEA. The same organization that lists marijuana as a schedule 1 drug that cannot be prescribed.

Physicians can only certify qualifying conditions. That is the extent of their involvement with the medical cannabis program in IL. . Qualifying conditions are determined by the IDPH. If you have a medical cannabis card you will not be legally allowed to purchase any new guns or ammo from an FFL. You have to wait an entire year after the expiration date on your MC card if you don't renew to be able to try to purchase a gun

I just received my mmj card this October. I have FOID and CCW from IL. I have not had an issues except for the following.

I applied for my mmj card in May. After that, I purchased a number of guns from online auctions. I submitted for background check with my local FFL and it was pended for over 3 weeks. They ran again and still pended. I have attempted to contact isp, but no response. The FFL is not giving me any options, but my understanding is that they could release at their discretion after 3 days of pended if they wanted. I have purchased several guns at once like this before and never had any issues. The longest my check has ever waited is couple hours.

If someone could offer me some advice or information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thnx

I got my MC CARD back in October 2015. It didn't help with my pain so I stopped using it. Went to buy a gun in the early fall of 2016 and experienced the same thing. If you have a medical cannabis card you will not be legally allowed to purchase any new guns or ammo from an FFL. You have to wait an entire year after the expiration date on your MC card if you don't renew to be able to try to purchase a gun. I've talked to ISP, ATF, a second amendment attorney and there is no way around it BUT there is a loophole you can purchase from a private seller. I would like to get my CCL but I believe most courses require you to have a gun first, at least that's what I've been reading. Until MC is rescheduled as SCHEDULE 2 or 3, or better yet, deregulated, FFL's won't sell you a gun.

That will never happen. The medical cannabis industry has their growers and dispensaries. The majority of Doctors and pharmacists don't know anything about medical cannabis.

Anyone know of any law updates to the OP question? Can you have an FCCL and a medical marijuana card and be legal on the state and federal levels?

Nope. The 4473 is even updated to say that medical or not - it's still illegal under federal law.

Thank you sir.

You can keep all the guns and ammo that you had before getting the medical cannabis card but just can't buy new guns / ammo from an FFL. Federal Problems may arise if you have to use your guns to defend yourself but isn't it better to be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6

I would like to get my CCL but I believe most courses require you to have a gun first, at least that's what I've been reading.

Requirement to bring your own gun was not the case when I was researching courses 3 years ago. I would assume you could do a range rental if need be, but for all of the courses I considered, they all had "loaners", some even included qualification ammo, available to let people get a feel for different types. I used a class loaner to see what shooting something else was like.

I think you would be very hard pressed to show us even one. It's certainly far safer than cigarettes or alcohol, and as far as I can tell is safer than deli meats.

Ingesting "pot" isn't, as far as I've been able to tell from researching it, dangerous unless you ingest it by having a very large weight of it dropped on your body, or if you smoke enough of it to cause lung problems from the smoke itself. I am not aware of any significant danger posed by ingesting it via other means other than from legal consequences, job consequences, or driving while impaired.

Nobody should drive or handle firearms while impaired.

There have been no deaths caused by just the smoking medical cannabis (perhaps street cannabis that has been laced with other drugs). There was one death caused by consuming too much edible product but it was suspected that there were unknown underlying medication conditions that played a role. It's crazy that alcoholics, street drug users, legal opioid users can all buy guns but just obtaining a medical cannabis card without even using medical cannabis disqualifies you. It's so backward that the most vulnerable people who can't get prescription pain relief because doctors won't prescribe it, are denied their second amendment rights to protect themselves just because of a piece of plastic in their wallet

I just received my mmj card this October. I have FOID and CCW from IL. I have not had an issues except for the following.

I applied for my mmj card in May. After that, I purchased a number of guns from online auctions. I submitted for background check with my local FFL and it was pended for over 3 weeks. They ran again and still pended. I have attempted to contact isp, but no response. The FFL is not giving me any options, but my understanding is that they could release at their discretion after 3 days of pended if they wanted. I have purchased several guns at once like this before and never had any issues. The longest my check has ever waited is couple hours.

If someone could offer me some advice or information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thnx

. I would like to get my CCL but I believe most courses require you to have a gun first, at least that's what I've been reading.

You can rent a firearm at many companies, including ours for $10.

Archived