Get a Permit from another state threads

Chris

A student that recently completed a 16 HR CCL class with me and had an issue. He is moving to FL as a permanent resident. The statutes require him to notify the ISP with a notarized signed statement informing them of the new information. He is also required to pay the fee ($75). According to the ISP he must surrender his IL CCL and FOID and cannot be issued an out of state permit since FL is not an ISP approved state. At the present time only Hawaii, S. Carolina, New Mexico and Virginia are the only states where residents can apply for an IL CCL.

Wait, let me get this straight. He still has to pay the $75 address change fee? So, he pays the $75 fee only to get his license canceled? Uh, OK, only in Illinois!

One would only execute a change of address if you're moving within IL. Common sense should be used here. Your IL permit is useless once you move out of state.

A student that recently completed a 16 HR CCL class with me and had an issue. He is moving to FL as a permanent resident. The statutes require him to notify the ISP with a notarized signed statement informing them of the new information. He is also required to pay the fee ($75). According to the ISP he must surrender his IL CCL and FOID and cannot be issued an out of state permit since FL is not an ISP approved state. At the present time only Hawaii, S. Carolina, New Mexico and Virginia are the only states where residents can apply for an IL CCL.

Wait, let me get this straight. He still has to pay the $75 address change fee? So, he pays the $75 fee only to get his license canceled? Uh, OK, only in Illinois!

One would only execute a change of address if you're moving within IL. Common sense should be used here. Your IL permit is useless once you move out of state.

You have to remember that common sense goes out the window when dealing with Illinois.

Edit to change to purple, though I'm not sure if it should be purple:).

You have to remember that common sense goes out the window when dealing with Illinois.

Edit to change to purple, though I'm not sure if it should be purple:).

Even if common sense is out the window when dealing with IL... if I am no longer a resident of IL I don't answer to them. The ISP can ask till they're out of breath, but I don't have to fill out a change of address on my FOID/CCL/whatever if I don't live in the state.

I understand the tongue-in-cheek comment... but others seem to think they have to notify the ISP when they no longer live in IL. IL government may lack common sense... but I like to think we gun owners do! He, he, he!

Even if common sense is out the window when dealing with IL... if I am no longer a resident of IL I don't answer to them. The ISP can ask till they're out of breath, but I don't have to fill out a change of address on my FOID/CCL/whatever if I don't live in the state.

I understand the tongue-in-cheek comment... but others seem to think they have to notify the ISP when they no longer live in IL. IL government may lack common sense... but I like to think we gun owners do! He, he, he!

I think the more significant point is that his license is no longer valid after moving, in IL or anywhere else, whether he informs the ISP or not. If visiting IL after moving to FL, he should not plan to conceal carry here.

I understand that he doesn't need to pay the $75 however he loses his CCL and right to carry in IL. The statutes don't address a move out of IL specifically and that he is obligated to surrender his IL permit. Obviously he doesn't get a refund of his $150. The triggering event is when he surrenders his IL driver's license in FL. Would be interesting to know what would be the situation if he moved to one of the 4 states that IL allows residents to get an IL CCL. Would he be required to pay the $300 out of state fee or would the IL CCL as issued with the modified address remain in effect until expiration after paying the $75 fee and notifying the ISP of the address change?

I understand that he doesn't need to pay the $75 however he loses his CCL and right to carry in IL. The statutes don't address a move out of IL specifically and that he is obligated to surrender his IL permit. Obviously he doesn't get a refund of his $150. The triggering event is when he surrenders his IL driver's license in FL. Would be interesting to know what would be the situation if he moved to one of the 4 states that IL allows residents to get an IL CCL. Would he be required to pay the $300 out of state fee or would the IL CCL as issued with the modified address remain in effect until expiration after paying the $75 fee and notifying the ISP of the address change?
As I've mentioned before: the fee charged is specifically described as an application fee, not a license fee. Moving out of state would not require a new application. There is no distinction in the law for a "non resident license", the licenses are the same. The only difference is in applications. If they revoked a license for a change of address to another state, I would file suit against them, as I don't see what in the law would allow them to do that.

*cough* 430 ILCS 66/40 *cough*

How do we know the nonresident license is the same as the resident license? Has anybody seen a FCCL issued to a nonresident?

Furthermore, when you obtain a driver's license in another state you are declaring residency in that state. It is the same in Illinois.

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -Norman Schwarzkopf

As I've mentioned before: the fee charged is specifically described as an application fee, not a license fee. Moving out of state would not require a new application. There is no distinction in the law for a "non resident license", the licenses are the same. The only difference is in applications. If they revoked a license for a change of address to another state, I would file suit against them, as I don't see what in the law would allow them to do that.

Are you suggesting that one could live (be a resident) in IL, obtain an FCCL, move to another state (claim residency in new state) and simply change the address on your FCCL? You want to file suit because your FCCL is no longer valid in the new state?

Clearly, common sense isn't that common.

You applied for your FCCL as a resident. You then became a resident somewhere other than IL. At that moment, your FCCL is no longer valid. You would then have to go through the non-resident process to obtain a new IL FCCL (if eligible).

You applied for your FCCL as a resident. You then became a resident somewhere other than IL. At that moment, your FCCL is no longer valid. You would then have to go through the non-resident process to obtain a new IL FCCL (if eligible).

Are you sure about that?

As others have reported, when you change your address via the online app, it allows you to select a new address in one of the 4 so-called "substantially similar" states.

If you select a state that is not "substantially similar," you can't continue any further via the online address change app.

This leads me to believe an address change is all that is needed, along with the $75 fee, if moving into one of the substantially similar states. You don't need to cancel and reapply.

Are you sure about that?

As others have reported, when you change your address via the online app, it allows you to select a new address in one of the 4 so-called "substantially similar" states.

If you select a state that is not "substantially similar," you can't continue any further via the online address change app.

This leads me to believe an address change is all that is needed, along with the $75 fee, if moving into one of the substantially similar states. You don't need to cancel and reapply.

Well...

I originally thought we were discussing a perceived "loop-hole" to keep your IL FCCL in a non-approved state. Which is where my attitude came from. Then I seemed to contradict myself by stating you would have to fill out a non-resident application.

So I guess I don't freakin' know. I knew the ISP's website (and CCL website) like the back of my hand... until I got my FCCL. It seems like things keep changing... even though the law(s) have not.

I give up...

Are you sure about that?

Well...

I originally thought we were discussing a perceived "loop-hole" to keep your IL FCCL in a non-approved state. Which is where my attitude came from. Then I seemed to contradict myself by stating you would have to fill out a non-resident application.

So I guess I don't freakin' know. I knew the ISP's website (and CCL website) like the back of my hand... until I got my FCCL. It seems like things keep changing... even though the law(s) have not.

I give up...

If you want to give it a try, go online and try to change your address to a substantially similar state and to one that doesn't meet the criteria and let us know what happens. You don't need to submit it (obviously) but that might provide some helpful insight.

If I had an FCCL I would test it myself.

You applied for your FCCL as a resident. You then became a resident somewhere other than IL. At that moment, your FCCL is no longer valid.

What part of the law requires, or even allows, that?

What the ISP will actually do is another question. Hence the probable need for a lawsuit. For that matter a whole bunch of non-residents need to file suit as their carry rights are obviously being violated.

You applied for your FCCL as a resident. You then became a resident somewhere other than IL. At that moment, your FCCL is no longer valid.------What part of the law requires, or even allows, that? What the ISP will actually do is another question.
I may be reaching here, but this clause from FCCA Section 70 might be the source of their rationale:

(a) A license issued or renewed under this Act shall be revoked if, at any time, the licensee is found to be ineligible for a license under this Act or the licensee no longer meets the eligibility requirements of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.
A resident who moves out of state no longer meets the eligibility requirements for a FOID card. 430 ILCS 66, Section 8, says that:

The Department of State Police has authority to deny an application for or to revoke and seize a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued under this Act only if the Department finds that the applicant or the person to whom such card was issued is or was at the time of issuance: (q) A person who is not a resident of the State of Illinois, except as provided in subsection (a-10) of Section 4
Otherwise I can't see anywhere else in the FCCA that would give the ISP authorization to revoke an FCCL merely because a licensee moved out-of-state and became a resident of another state that doesn't meet the "substantially similar" definition.

• 3 months later...

AZ permit question - when you applied, what proof of training did you submit?

I took my class through Legal Heat at Cabelas.

I have a choice of Legal Heat course cert, UT permit, or my NRA Basic Pistol cert.

Use a copy of your Illinois CC license. #6 below.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

I don't have an AZ permit but was thinking about adding one to the collection. I'm no expert on the laws of AZ, but it's my understanding that posted signs carry no force of law against those with out of state permits. I visit AZ a couple times a year, and have pretty much never worried about walking into a posted place because I was always carrying under different licences. If I got an AZ licence, suddenly all of those posted places in AZ would become off limits to me, correct?

Hi Marie.

I'm quite familiar with hangunlaw.us, use it all the time.

My question had to do with obtaining an AZ license. Presently I can carry in AZ without having an AZ license, using my existng non-resident licenses, including posted locations.

I was questioning the wisdom of getting an AZ license. By getting an AZ permit, would I now be prohibited from entering the locations I can enter now with my non-resident permit? I would still be a non-resident but in possession of an AZ permit. Would that hold me to a higher scrutiny?

4-229. Licenses; handguns; posting of notice

A. A person may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. The sign shall conform to the following requirements:

1. Be posted in a conspicuous location accessible to the general public and immediately adjacent to the liquor license posted on the licensed premises.

2. Contain a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red line across the firearm.

3. Contain the words, "no firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. section 4-229".

B. A person shall not carry a firearm on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer if the licensee has posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section.

C. It is an affirmative defense to a violation of subsection B of this section if:

1. The person was not informed of the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section before the violation.

2. Any one or more of the following apply:

(a) At the time of the violation the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section had fallen down.

(b ) At the time of the violation the person was not a resident of this state.

© The licensee had posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section not more than thirty days before the violation.

D. The department of liquor licenses and control shall prepare the signs required by this section and make them available at no cost to licensees.

E. The signs required by this section shall be composed of block, capital letters printed in black on white laminated paper at a minimum weight of one hundred ten pound index. The lettering and pictogram shall consume a space at least six inches by nine inches. The letters constituting the words "no firearms allowed" shall be at least three-fourths of a vertical inch and all other letters shall be at least one-half of a vertical inch. Nothing shall prohibit a licensee from posting additional signs at one or more locations on the premises.

F. This section does not prohibit a person who possesses a handgun from entering the licensed premises for a limited time for the specific purpose of either:

1. Seeking emergency aid.

2. Determining whether a sign has been posted pursuant to subsection A of this section.

I know I'm good as a non-resident and without an AZ permit. I just say hey, I didn't know, I'm a non-resident.

I'm curious if owning an AZ permit will change that, even if still a non-resident, by adding some "you should have known" provision. That's my question, I haven't dug far enough to find my answer, but am happy to carry at the moment with my IL, FL, and UT permits. Not sure if I want the AZ, given I'm down there as much as I am.

14th Amendment means you follow the same rules as somebody with an AZ permit. Yes, I read the statute. It doesn't say you are exempt if you are a nonresident. It just says you have a defense to the violation. If you really wanted to argue the posting I'd focus on the first section where it says the posting must be conspicuous. If it isn't clearly and easily posted in an obvious location then you have an argument. Remember, you don't get to play by a different set of rules, and ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw this fb post:

Utah CCW Permit Fees

I received a letter from the Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigation today, January 17, 2015, to let me know that CCW Application fees are being reduce effective February 1, 2015. A new Application Form will be available on the BCI website on January 21.

The fees are being lowered to $39 for instate and $49 for out of state.

Just saw this fb post:

Utah CCW Permit Fees

I received a letter from the Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigation today, January 17, 2015, to let me know that CCW Application fees are being reduce effective February 1, 2015. A new Application Form will be available on the BCI website on January 21.

The fees are being lowered to $39 for instate and $49 for out of state.

I especially like the renewal fee for Utah, renewed mine for another 5 years for $15, plus .75 convenience fee.

Archived