Todd V and the NRA?

Rivemor

I think I read somewhere that the NRA donated 3.6 million to members of congress while Planned Parenthood spent about 38 million on the 2016 election by itself.

The interesting difference to me is where the money comes from.

The NRA got their money from member dues and member donations. Planned Parenthood gets much of their money from the government anyway, so from unsuspecting taxpayers...

I am the NRA, and I vote. It doesn't mean I agree with every decision the NRA has ever made, but overall they are a giant force for good. There are many other forces for good too (including our very own IllinoisCarry) which have smaller overall scope but still can have a significant positive impact. Gun rights are best advanced when we all put aside our differences and work together to advance 2a rights (and when we "play defense" to fight the terrible encroachment on those rights).

Todd was great and I don't know Shannon; but, from what I've heard, she will be great also.

From having been in one position for many, many years, I know you develop credibility with that; but I know you often also develop enemies as well as obligations and can easily get in a rut. I've personally experienced all of those. Sometimes, a fresh perspective is a good thing.

In this case with both of them still being involved fighting for our interests, it sounds like the best of both worlds with both of them, Molly and others.

I want to play devils advocate here.

This new group seems to be formed to help FFL's. In general that is a good thing but the interests of FFL's will not always be the same as interests of gun owners.

For example a complete ban on private transfers is bad for gun owners, but GOOD for FFL's as it increases business for them.

Limiting the number of certain rare weapons in circulation increases the value of guns held by certain types of dealers.

The agenda of FFL's will not always be that of the agenda of gun owners, remember the dealer licensing bill where Springfield Armory and RRA turned on us.

I want to play devils advocate here.

This new group seems to be formed to help FFL's. In general that is a good thing but the interests of FFL's will not always be the same as interests of gun owners.

For example a complete ban on private transfers is bad for gun owners, but GOOD for FFL's as it increases business for them.

Limiting the number of certain rare weapons in circulation increases the value of guns held by certain types of dealers.

The agenda of FFL's will not always be that of the agenda of gun owners, remember the dealer licensing bill where Springfield Armory and RRA turned on us.

This same argument could be (and was) made when organizations packed with instructors seek to influence training requirements for concealed carry. Has there been any negative impact from that?

An organized representation of FFL license holders as a group is just another facet of the same cause. The FFL voice is unique in that the group can build arguments based on the practical effects of various regulations from the administrative side of background checks, bans, and sales.

The NRA's power really comes from the 5 million members and they VOTE! Makes politicians salivate. That's why the membership count and loyalty are important.

Yeah I just went to Benefactor from Life just because (and a good price) not sure you get !@# for it, i.e. like a discount on CCL insurance :drool: would be nice but whatever....

I think I read somewhere that the NRA donated 3.6 million to members of congress while Planned Parenthood spent about 38 million on the 2016 election by itself.

The interesting difference to me is where the money comes from.

Was that in the same time period for the 3.6 million and the 38 million?

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/06/planned-parenthood-far-outspends-the-nra-in-buying-influence/

No, I believe the money from the NRA is over a much longer period.

The NRA's power really comes from the 5 million members and they VOTE! Makes politicians salivate. That's why the membership count and loyalty are important.

Yeah I just went to Benefactor from Life just because (and a good price) not sure you get !@# for it, i.e. like a discount on CCL insurance :drool: would be nice but whatever....

Great to hear. SiliconSorcerer. Me too.

Great to hear. SiliconSorcerer. Me too.
As an aside, just got my 2018 member card and an offer to upgrade to next level. Upgrading gets a Rangeland jacket. Considering it.

While I know the info is on the magazine address label, I think I would have preferred my new member card, member number and membership level not have been displayed through the clear window on the envelope though.

Back on topic, the new group is now registered as a lobbying entity with the state and Todd as lobbyist. (Although it is public info, I did remove some of phone number for posting purposes.)

Lobbying Entity Search Information

Entity Name: FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEES OF ILLINOIS, INC

Entity ID: 8189 Status: IN COMPLIANCE

Reg Year: 2017 Registration Date: 11/08/2017

Entity Address: 1905 MARKETVIEW DRIVE

YORKVILLE, IL 60560 Term. Date: N/A

Phone: (312) 315-xxxx Fax: (847) 298-4885

Authorized Agent

Name: ELDRIDGE, DAN

Address: 75 E. BRADROCK DRIVE

DES PLAINES, IL 60018

Phone: (312) 315-xxxx

This past year its been frustrating to watch them.

Gun owners will always be single issue voters, NRA or no NRA. But they stopped donating to Democrats, so recently the DNC virtue signalled they won't be accepting any pro 2A money. This is important in Democratic strongholds, especially states like Vermont that are generally pro 2a.

They spend money promoting idiots like Dana Loesch to make a video criticizing people for speaking out against Trump. Remember all the virulent stuff she said against Trump and anyone that supported him during the primaries? Also what does this have to do with gun rights? Outside of the NRA she recently made statements claiming that women lie all the time about being raped. This is totally counterproductive to the NRA trying to get more female 2a supporters by making sure they can protect themselves against violent crimes.

The few dollars the NRA has spent on campaign funds what have we gotten in return? We have a majority in the house and senate, yet SHARE looks like it's about to get gutted, including silencers. 1 year in and the talk track I hear is more gun regulations, not less.

Wayne Lapierre's statement on bump stocks, even if you argue was strategic was bad optics. He should of known better.

I generally lean right, but the NRA is a civil rights organization that should be influencing and defending the right and left. They had an opportunity to convert a lot of people after this election and instead doubled down on partisanship. They need to be promoting less controversial more universally appealing spokespeople like Chris Cheng, not Ted Nugent.

Gun owners will always be single issue voters, NRA or no NRA.

What single issue hill will gun owners be willing to die on? Gun rights?

Just off the top of my pointy head-

How about Abortion?

Immigration?

Taxation?

Personal property rights?

Religious freedom?

Discrimination?

I'm not a very sociable fellow these days but even I would have to suggest that you widen your circle of friends a bit.

The few dollars the NRA has spent on campaign funds what have we gotten in return? We have a majority in the house and senate, yet SHARE looks like it's about to get gutted, including silencers. 1 year in and the talk track I hear is more gun regulations, not less.

Wayne Lapierre's statement on bump stocks, even if you argue was strategic was bad optics. He should of known better.

I generally lean right, but the NRA is a civil rights organization that should be influencing and defending the right and left. They had an opportunity to convert a lot of people after this election and instead doubled down on partisanship. They need to be promoting less controversial more universally appealing spokespeople like Chris Cheng, not Ted Nugent.

What was the opposition doing during the same one year time period? 'Opposition' being Bloomberg money coupled with a compliant media. Especially in an atmosphere where facts apparently don't matter to a lot of people? Screamers and diaper-fillers on one side opposed by.....what on the other? Do you lie down in front of the tidal wave or rise up to meet it?

In the statement I saw, LaPierre pushed to allow the BATFE to do its job. Where's the problem? That's far more sensible than each state scrambling to get on the 'me too' bandwagon with their own legislation.

Sounds like you're suggesting some kind of appeasement in the face of mouth-foaming opposition in an era when the foamers and fillers are getting the coverage.

Obama drew a red line....and then backed up. I don't want my NRA to do the same thing.

The NRA could learn a lot from the ACLU. I realize at times they aren't the most popular civil rights organization, but they are unwavering on what they defend. They piss off the back the badge/law and order right and depending on the day of the week they're either supporting or being protested by the anti free speech left, depending on if they're supporting Nazis or BLM rights to free speech. But They support the constitution to a fault no matter who agrees or disagrees.

"The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations." This statement issued by the NRA does not support the 2nd amendment in its literal context.

"Well regulated" at the time of writing of the constitution means well equipped. Read up further in the federalist papers and "well regulated" is further defined as parity with the standing army. It is your God given (as the first 10 ammendments are inalienable, given by the creator) to take up the exact same arms against the government that they would take up against the people to take away freedom. There are no carve outs in the 2nd amendment for "device that allow semi automatic rifles to function like fully automatic rifles". This is appeasement to those that stand against our constitution and believe it to be an outdated document that doesn't apply to modern society.

If the standing army of the government has those devices then the militia should have those same devices. The militia defined as the people of the land who's civic duty is to take up arms against any government that stands to oppress or take away your God given rights.

I also agree with the ACLU's position that the 2nd amendment only extends to military arms and defense of the people, not the individual. The body of the constitution and several other ammendments support your right to life, which is a defacto right to defend your life. It has been that way forever, whether in scripture, the Magna Carta and castle doctorine, or any other text defining the laws of man.

I realize the NRA when created was only about the 2nd, to teach citizens' marksmanship (again, "well regulated", well equipped in this case with skill of infantry rifles). The modern NRA does support other rights in relation to firearms like the right to self defense, but they need to stay in the framework of gun use and ownership. Not other issues.

The Bloomberg astroturfing only polarizes the fudds to be less fuddish when they see how punitive gun control can be. So the NRA doesn't need to spend money getting those fence sitters.

They need to spend money to get people that don't have guns or haven't shot guns shooting guns. Whether it's donating or lobbying to boy scouts, urban youth organizations. They need to keep campaigning for gun safety and 2nd ammendment history programs at schools. They need to continue supporting sporting gun use.

Basically they need to get back to their core of normalizing guns, not polarizing guns. But they realize it's more popular to extract money from their core by polarizing guns, and that's why I don't want to be a part of them. They won't change anyone's opinions that already believes gun ownership is a good thing. But they do reinforce the Fudd and lefty opinion that gun ownership should be limited.

They do nothing to convert people that maybe don't trust the government wholeheartedly and believe the 2nd stands against real (Not the bs imagined antifa fascism). They do nothing to convert the people who don't trust the police to help them when they're in need of protection (Their endorsements of the police union is a conflict of interest at times). We have a right wing education secretary, what have they done to get positive gun and 2nd ammendment education back in schools?

All they do is whip their core base into a frenzy and polarize potential people of the gun converts. All to extract money to support politicians that aren't all in on what the 2nd amendment or the other ammendments are really about in relation Specifically to guns.

Yes, I'm proudly a single issue voter because without guns defending any other freedom can never happen. A government should do right by their people out of fear of their people, not to enrich themselves at the expense of our freedoms.

When I could finally own guns and carry in Chicago I supported the NRA. When they speak up in support of gun restrictions or support politicians that want to restrict guns I turn my back on them. When they've been handed what's supposedly a 2a friendly president, house, and senate and instead take a step backwards on gun rights I get upset with them. Not one inch.

Sorry for the diatribe, but it's something I feel strongly about.

We live in a very different country than the one that existed when the NRA was founded or, for that matter, much of the NRA's history. As the people in government became less pro-Second Amendment, then anti-Second Amendment, so it became more important for groups like the NRA to protect our rights.

The country now relies more on individual gun owners to not only pass on the tradition, but to also act as ambassadors in their defense. We each have a role to play.

Gun owners will always be single issue voters, NRA or no NRA. But they stopped donating to Democrats, so recently the DNC virtue signalled they won't be accepting any pro 2A money. This is important in Democratic strongholds, especially states like Vermont that are generally pro 2a.

They spend money promoting idiots like Dana Loesch to make a video criticizing people for speaking out against Trump. Remember all the virulent stuff she said against Trump and anyone that supported him during the primaries? Also what does this have to do with gun rights? Outside of the NRA she recently made statements claiming that women lie all the time about being raped. This is totally counterproductive to the NRA trying to get more female 2a supporters by making sure they can protect themselves against violent crimes.

Your first sentence after expressing your frustration shows your ignorance of the situation ("Gun owners will always be single issue voters, NRA or no NRA.") WRONG! If that was correct, and they all voted, we'd have no worries.

An early sentence in your following post "But They support the constitution to a fault." To "a fault?" How can that be done? Especially for the many Americans who swore to support and defend the U.S. Constitution.

Your opinions expressed have no credibility with me. I think you are trolling.

It could be that the Democratic Party has doubled down on its progressivism and completely abandoned reason, and the NRA CAN'T work with any of them any more. The NRA shouldn't be expected to suck up to the all-inclusive-because-this-is-how-I-feel-today PC logic du jour.

Dana Loesch is great, btw.

Your first sentence after expressing your frustration shows your ignorance of the situation ("Gun owners will always be single issue voters, NRA or no NRA.") WRONG! If that was correct, and they all voted, we'd have no worries.An early sentence in your following post "But They support the constitution to a fault." To "a fault?" How can that be done? Especially for the many Americans who swore to support and defend the U.S. Constitution.Your opinions expressed have no credibility with me. I think you are trolling.

fault

[fôlt]

NOUN

an unattractive or unsatisfactory feature, especially in a piece of work or in a person's character

It is unattractive that Nazis, some of the more radical elements of the left, uncredible media sources, lying politicians, etc. get free speech. People complain about it, even here, all the time.

But, they are entitled to that free speech no matter how unattractive. I think it's discraceful when people protest military funerals, but when done on public property that's free speech. Do we enact "common sense free speech laws" because we often disagree with other people's forms of free speech? No, that's obviously against the constitution.

So how is to a fault not the proper definition?

2a issues are the same way, technically God given rights also apply to people here illegally. While the constitution does forbid foreign Nationals influencing US politics, especially by force, technically even illegal immigrants have the right to bear arms. So if you don't agree that illegal immigrants can be armed you have to debate that outside of the constructs of the 2nd amendment. That is a fault to the literal interpretation of the 2nd amendment. It's why certain states call it "constitutional carry", it's your God given right to carry a gun. God doesn't need you to pass a class and to issue you a permit.

As for guns being single issue voters the Democrat's hard line on guns is costing them elections. Just like it did after the assault weapon ban. The only way they can overcome this is to make sure less people own guns in their strongholds.

That's where the NRA needs to focus their effort. They own the red states. They need to get the blue states.

They need to get the democrats to own guns. Then the democrats will either vote right or their politicians will need to start embracing 2a laws.

The NRA used to do a better job in blue states. It's why I can legally carry a gun in Chicago. But they need to do more. A start would be pushing on Friedman VS Highland Park now that Neil Gorsuch is on the Supreme Court.

But now blue states are getting worse and all the NRA is doing is getting politicians elected in red states that already have firearm freedoms. So they are taking up other issues outside of 2a and guns.

Why a single issue vote? Because if by owning a gun you become a criminal you can't vote anymore. Nobody that owns a gun stands for that. It's the same reason any politician that makes homosexuality illegal won't get any gay votes. Why would anyone be stupid enough to vote to be imprisoned and get their right to vote taken away?

Stuff that doesn't affect you is just minor issues in an election. For example whatever opinions anyone here has on abortion if they had to choose between a difference of gun rights and an opposing view we're all going to choose gun rights. Because I expect as responsible adults we would never be in a situation to choose as a method of birth control (I. E. Outside of the "medically necessary" gray area).

Your first sentence after expressing your frustration shows your ignorance of the situation ("Gun owners will always be single issue voters, NRA or no NRA.") WRONG! If that was correct, and they all voted, we'd have no worries.An early sentence in your following post "But They support the constitution to a fault." To "a fault?" How can that be done? Especially for the many Americans who swore to support and defend the U.S. Constitution.Your opinions expressed have no credibility with me. I think you are trolling.

fault

[fôlt]

NOUN

an unattractive or unsatisfactory feature, especially in a piece of work or in a person's character

It is unattractive that Nazis, some of the more radical elements of the left, uncredible media sources, lying politicians, etc. get free speech. People complain about it, even here, all the time.

With a little research... only a few moments in fact, you might run across something like this:

Nazis Are Not Socialists Nor Democrats Despite What Alt-Right Might Say

In addition, as a gun owner/NRA Lifer... I am far from being a single issue voter.

With a little research... only a few moments in fact, you might run across something like this:

In addition, as a gun owner/NRA Lifer... I am far from being a single issue voter.

And we do try to make a comfortable home for people with many points of view on other issues. Not Nazis so much, but almost everyone else.

The National Socialist German Workers' Party...

No they can not be socialists...

What is up with this Alt-Right garbage?

You have a left wing Richard Spencer claiming to right wing and left wing Antifa nuts calling a group "Alt-Right" that is in no way right wing.

Alt-Right is a very old term meaning anyone right leaning and does not follow the mainstream Republican platform. The group includes right leaning Centrists and Libertarians.

The myth is there are right wing racists and fascists, no they are all left wing authoritarian groups which means they can not be right wing.

fault

[fôlt]

NOUN

Sorry, I either wrote that wrong, or it's being read wrong. The comma was meant to separate the genre of unpopular free speech, not expound that Nazis were the radical left.

Should read: Nazis, and the radical elements of the left, and uncredible media...

Although to be pedantic they were a national socialist party and in the beginning they were very socially progressive, even by today's standards.

I hesitate to lump people in with Nazis because they can't be defined in the modern US political spectrum. Yes, at their idealistic inception they shared many views with the modern socially progressive left and the modern nationalistic right, so lumping either party in with them full stop is just ignorant rhetoric. But, dissecting certain viewpoints and pointing out how if they were taken to the extreme by the Nazi party is fair debate.

Back on topic

In Cook County "kitchen table" FFL's are outlawed. I moved out of the city but I'm still in Cook County. I've wanted to get my FFL's for a while. If we can get CCW in Cook County maybe we can get kitchen table FFL's even if it's only outside of the city limits.

So if the NRA isn't working towards getting cook's AWB's tossed I'd rather put my hopes into getting an ffl.

I heard somewhere the NRA put more money into this election cycle then 2016. Did any of their endorsed candidates win by a narrow margin were there could be possible correlation to the NRA campaign contributions? Strange lost, which had unintended consequences that will hurt us.

It just seems like the laws and candidates that are negatively affecting guns are happening in Democratic strongholds with no shot at republican candidates.

Illinois is unique because outside of Cook County and much of the North its a red state, so there's always hope for change. But the current battleground is ffl rights.

guys, this group has ben in the works for months as we had several meetings with a large group of dealers who kept meeting at Range @ 355.

At an end of session meeting, the group voted to form a assn. and they voted on a group of officers to start, Dan Eldridge from Maxons, Mandi from Gun Dr. Julie Peters from RKA, Pete from Range @ 355 and Roger Krohl from R-guns.

as with most things life takes over and they are still sorting out things. 1. we are registered witht he Secretary of state as a Non-Profit and for lobbyong purposes. 2. they are putting togwther a proposal for a real website. There will be other promotional materials and you can expect them to be issuing press relases and other things.

More to follow, but they wanted to be in the fight in sPringfield during veto session

Archived