Bloomberg and how he buys his agenda

Colt guy

I don't see Bloomberg's campaign getting anymore air beneath it than the media will blow for him.

Hillary has already set "nyet" to his VP job because she knows she would just be running in another loser election, and by now she has learned the scent.

He would be a Mondale at best if he even gets to August.

Even there I don't think the media will support him unless he wins the nomination and it's just him and Trump. You could tell in the last debate that the media wanted him gone from the stage. They seemed to be still propping up Warren. I would think between him and Sanders the C-Suite (and top anchors like Todd, etc.) at CNN etc would likely prefer Bloomberg but the rank and file reporters and editors and those at the Buzzfeeds and Slates according to the latest polling is to the left of Bernie ideologically so they will push back if Warren is out.

I am strongly in favor of capitalism, believing it to be the best system ever devised by the minds of man, albeit with flaws. But sometimes I wonder about our system and how it helps create people of such enormous wealth that they can alter the cultural, political or economic system of our nation. Bloomberg is not likely to want to expend all, or even most of his vast fortune to winning the White House, but he seems willing to spend $1 billion or more if necessary. Imagine if he announces that he would run a lottery if elected, with winners having their total school loan debt paid off, and that he was putting $20 billion in the fund for this purpose. Of if he did the same thing but for paying off thousands of mortgages, but again only if elected. And Bloomberg is only the 9th richest person in the world. Some like Jeff Bezos of Amazon, or Warren Buffet are worth well over $100 billion. Fortunately these multi billionaires never seem to feel that they are rich enough, so while they might use some of their fortune for political purposes, its unlikely that they would spend even a sizable fraction of their total net worth. But if one of them ever chose to do so, the impact upon our nation could be catastrophic. I have no real solution to this, since in principle I believe that if you run a successful business, offering goods or services that the public wants to buy, there should be no limit on how rich you can become. But the spectre of multi billionaire oligarchs deciding to dominate our political life in the U.S. is more than a bit alarming.

Archived