Carrying both a CCL and FOID?

vito

When I first received my CCL, and read that to buy a gun or ammo, only the CCL was needed since obviously I had to have a valid FOID to get the CCL, I then stopped carrying the FOID with me. My thought process was that it would be bad enough if my wallet were lost or stolen to lose my CCL, driver's license, etc. and not to add the FOID to that problematic list. But now I am not sure that if I am ever stopped by an LEO if just having my CCL with me is enough, or do I need to have the FOID also in my wallet at all times?

When I first received my CCL, and read that to buy a gun or ammo, only the CCL was needed since obviously I had to have a valid FOID to get the CCL, I then stopped carrying the FOID with me. My thought process was that it would be bad enough if my wallet were lost or stolen to lose my CCL, driver's license, etc. and not to add the FOID to that problematic list. But now I am not sure that if I am ever stopped by an LEO if just having my CCL with me is enough, or do I need to have the FOID also in my wallet at all times?

I carry both. When I purchase ammo etc, I pull out my FOID. No-one else needs to know I am a CCL holder and more.

I've read that you don't need to carry your FOID when you have a CCL and that's what some do. But I have nothing to back that up, just hear-say from this forum and others.

I dont recall if this was in the FCCL or simply a JCAR rule but I cant find it at the moment.

edit: and mauserme beats me by 2 minutes

(a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm, stun

gun, or taser within this State without having in his or

her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card

previously issued in his or her name by the Department of

State Police under the provisions of this Act.

(2) No person may acquire or possess firearm ammunition

within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in

his or her name by the Department of State Police under the

provisions of this Act.

(c-5) The provisions of paragraphs (1) and (2) of

subsection (a) of this Section regarding the possession of

firearms and firearm ammunition do not apply to the holder of a valid concealed carry license issued under the Firearm

Concealed Carry Act who is in physical possession of the

concealed carry license

I've read that you don't need to carry your FOID when you have a CCL and that's what some do. But I have nothing to back that up, just hear-say from this forum and others.

I dont recall if this was in the FCCL or simply a JCAR rule but I cant find it at the moment.

It was an amendment to the FOID Act that started as SB836 in the 99th GA.

I carry both. When I purchase ammo etc, I pull out my FOID. No-one else needs to know I am a CCL holder and more.

Same for me.

Do what ever you want to do. This has been argued to death on other threads. There is no perfect answer. I think stores demanding FOIDs when a CCL is presented is much less of a problem then when the change first occurred. I do not care if the clerk sees that I have CCL. They are not going to hold up your card and announce it to everyone that you may be carrying. Do what you think is best.

+1

I guess I would try to find a less ignorant retailer.

The answer I got from a very reputable store and manufacturer was the ATF advisors that answer FFL questions told them they needed to check the FOID. They were told the conceal carry didn't count as a FOID.

This is the issue when you have separate state and federal systems and laws. They are impossible to maintain consistency across. The state has no beruau that can quickly answer these questions.

The answer I got from a very reputable store and manufacturer was the ATF advisors that answer FFL questions told them they needed to check the FOID. They were told the conceal carry didn't count as a FOID.

This is the issue when you have separate state and federal systems and laws. They are impossible to maintain consistency across. The state has no beruau that can quickly answer these questions.

Why would the ATF care? The ATF doesn't enforce state laws.

I carry the FOID when I know I'm going to buy guns and/or ammo. As someone else said, it's no one's business if I have a CCL...even the guys at the gun shop. But, you can do as you wish. If you don't care, the law allows you to buy guns and ammo with a CCL.

As for the police...I don't tell them anything unless asked. I've seen waaaaay too many cases where cops screwed over and maliciously went after gun owners. Screw them.

This is the issue when you have separate state and federal

Why would the ATF care? The ATF doesn't enforce state laws.

Because they get their federally issued Firearms license revoked if they run afoul of state laws. Therein lies the issue. Federal and State laws and authorities begin to clash when you have 2 completely different systems.

I carry both for the same reason mentioned above. They don't need to know I'm carrying while buying ammo.

I carry both in this Micro Wallet together with my USCCA card. My DL, CC, Insurance Card in this wallet.

The only time I pull out my CCL/FOID wallet is when I get home to change clothes or if I buy ammo, otherwise it stays in my pocket the whole time. Less chance of losing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made the mistake of showing my CCL when purchasing ammunition as I was told my CCL superseded my FOID for such things so why carry both? I showed my CCL at the cash register where the Girl Child behind the registers eyes grew wide with terror and she loudly and in a panicked voice asked "Are you carrying a gun?!"

At which point everyone near us turned and went into condition Yellow hearing the word "Gun!"

This was at the Farm Store. luckily an assistant manager jumped in and explained to her and apologized to me. I'll never buy ammunition again except online or at a LGS and I put my CCL at the bak of my Wallet and show DL or FOID if needed.

Young people in America don;t need to know I can concealed carry....many of them cannot be discrete.

VooDoo

I was outside Crook county and stoped at a mega sized retail store and purchased some quality defensive carry .45ACP ammo. Was asked for FOID specifically not my CCL.

The story there is ISP told them they need to see FOID as some CCL holders have not renewed FOID and let them expire. But that the story I was told today.

I was outside Crook county and stoped at a mega sized retail store and purchased some quality defensive carry .45ACP ammo. Was asked for FOID specifically not my CCL.

The story there is ISP told them they need to see FOID as some CCL holders have not renewed FOID and let them expire. But that the story I was told today.

Somebody there is confused. If the FOID is invalid, then the CCL is invalid. On another thread someone stated that the ISP sent them notice that their CCL was suspended because they have let their FOID expire.

This is from section 70 of the FCCA.

(h) A license issued or renewed under this Act shall be revoked if, at any time, the licensee is found ineligible for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, or the licensee no longer possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card. A licensee whose license is revoked under this subsection (h) shall surrender his or her concealed carry license as provided for in subsection (g) of this Section.

This subsection shall not apply to a person who has filed an application with the State Police for renewal of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card and who is not otherwise ineligible to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

Archived