unregistered hand gun in Chicago

ajduenas1

fyi court hearing to revoke registration is on 8/30 1:00pm at administrative hearings office and the hearing to recover my fire arm is 9/16 9:00 am over at 555 w harrison

Good luck in their "Kangaroo Court".

It calls to mind a purely "hypothetical" scenario not related to this specific case or individual.

Chicago had its 'ban' on handguns in the home for a couple decades plus. During that time it is 'theoretically' possible that one or two otherwise law-abiding citizens could have otherwise legally purchased firearms outside the city limits, ignored said ban and kept them in their homes over those same decades. The owners 'could' have for decades taken them to local ranges and practiced with them, brought them 'illegally' back home, cleaned them up for next time and stored them away safely, but illegally in the privacy of said home. Knowing full well that what they were doing was against the law these same good minded folks 'could' have relied on the reality that it was very unlikely their home would ever be searched or their car while they were driving to the gun range, and their 'illegal' firearms discovered.

Once the Chicago ban was lifted it became incumbent on those Chicago citizens to take the initiative and get themselves and their firearms street legal. It is 'theoretically' possible that one or two of the citizen/gun owners have made the conscious choice to ignore this new ordinance as they did the previous one and continue to just "take their chances"......theoretically.

Not that I personally support such a thing ... but it's also "theoretically possible" for a person to view the Chicago gun ordinances as flatly unconstitutional (particularly in wake of the McDonald case) and ignore them in good conscience.

"Not that I personally support such a thing ... but it's also "theoretically possible" for a person to view the Chicago gun ordinances as flatly unconstitutional (particularly in wake of the McDonald case) and ignore them in good conscience. "

I too would not publicly support such actions, and strength of one's convictions is a noble trait in anyone. Especially those who will stand up and take the consequences of their convictions. Disobeying what a person feels is an unconstitutional ordinance still takes money from a person's bank account and deposits it in some lawyer's wallet. Not to mention any potential toll taken on one's job, family etc.

It calls to mind a purely "hypothetical" scenario not related to this specific case or individual.

Chicago had its 'ban' on handguns in the home for a couple decades plus. During that time it is 'theoretically' possible that one or two otherwise law-abiding citizens could have otherwise legally purchased firearms outside the city limits, ignored said ban and kept them in their homes over those same decades. The owners 'could' have for decades taken them to local ranges and practiced with them, brought them 'illegally' back home, cleaned them up for next time and stored them away safely, but illegally in the privacy of said home. Knowing full well that what they were doing was against the law these same good minded folks 'could' have relied on the reality that it was very unlikely their home would ever be searched or their car while they were driving to the gun range, and their 'illegal' firearms discovered.

Once the Chicago ban was lifted it became incumbent on those Chicago citizens to take the initiative and get themselves and their firearms street legal. It is 'theoretically' possible that one or two of the citizen/gun owners have made the conscious choice to ignore this new ordinance as they did the previous one and continue to just "take their chances"......theoretically.

Not that I personally support such a thing ... but it's also "theoretically possible" for a person to view the Chicago gun ordinances as flatly unconstitutional (particularly in wake of the McDonald case) and ignore them in good conscience.

Its also "theoretically possible" that those people might be aware of Public Act 093-1048 (Hale Demar) which would provide them an affirmative defense against a municipal ordinance like Chicago's if said firearm was used in self defense at home.

Theoretically.

Stepping out of the 'theoretical' world for a moment....

For any newcomers to this website, those thinking about purchasing their first firearm and bringing it home, those who are confused by the current sorry state of affairs in this goofy city of mine... and all the rest.

There IS a 1 year old legal path to having any number of registered firearms in your home, within Chicago's city limits. While it is mildly cumbersome, it is achievable by anyone with the desire and the funds. You will need a $100 CFP (Chicago Firearms Permit-renewable every three years) and pay $15 as a one time registration fee per firearm. To qualify for the CFP you MUST take a a 5 hour training program, available at many gun shops (I used Midwest Sports in Lyons for $125) which includes both classroom and live fire practice at their range. Many classes will include the cost of the firearm rental and ammunition in their fee, Midwest did.

Additional costs would be about $9 to have Walgreens take your pictures, and the costs of your time from work and gas or public transportation fees (the City office is 1 block from the Kedzie Orange line station) to visit the Chicago Office at 4770 South Kedzie (my neighborhood) where they will process the class certificate and your CFP form and picture, take your $100 fee and your fingerprints (they do it with a scanner, no old fashioned ink)and also where you can pick up a stack of registration cards for future use....take more than you think you will need to avoid return visits -lol

Fast and easy? No! Something everyone in the State has to do? Oh, heck No! Would I like it if it went away and we shared the 2nd Amendment fully like the rest of the country? Do you have to ask? LOL

But there are lots of things that make living in this and many other major metro areas "different and more costly" that living in rural America. The point is that where once there was virtually NO way to enjoy the handgun hobby in Chicago there now is a way, draconian though it is. And if the reader of this chooses to ignore it or think 'it won't happen to me'? Then that is their choice and they get to deal with the consequences, if any. I had the same decision to make and chose to make the investment in immediately getting my CFP (one of this first 300 issued)

Randy, with all due respect, it's my opinion that Chicago's path to legal gun ownership is not mildly cumbersome. It's HIGHLY cumbersome. Especially given the ideal (arguably the ideal protected by our constitution) is to be able to buy guns on an open, legal market and to take them home and carry them around for whatever legal purpose, without first paying for government permission to do so.

But that said, I agree. A path exists for gun owners to comply with Chicago's onerous ordinances.

GF - my cheek still hurts from where my tongue was pressing on it when I posted "mildly cumbersome" - LOL - The whole process is a Royal PIA, but I expect nothing less from anything done thru the government.

I did not mention, but it is worth noting that not 'all' firearms can be regiustered. Some are still banned or classed as assault weapons, and high capacity magazines are not permitted in handguns. But all that is published and required reading for applicants as well as knowledge any sales clerk in a gun shop needs to be able to address before they sell to a Chicago resident.

" While it is MILDLY cumbersome , it is achievable by anyone with the desire and the FUNDS. "

The above is the very reason it is still unconstitutional. That word "funds " sure jumps out at you doesn't it!? As in ...if you have enough money you can own a gun.

I say BS!!!!

Stepping out of the 'theoretical' world for a moment....

For any newcomers to this website, those thinking about purchasing their first firearm and bringing it home, those who are confused by the current sorry state of affairs in this goofy city of mine... and all the rest.

There IS a 1 year old legal path to having any number of registered firearms in your home, within Chicago's city limits. While it is mildly cumbersome, it is achievable by anyone with the desire and the funds. You will need a $100 CFP (Chicago Firearms Permit-renewable every three years) and pay $15 as a one time registration fee per firearm. To qualify for the CFP you MUST take a a 5 hour training program, available at many gun shops (I used Midwest Sports in Lyons for $125) which includes both classroom and live fire practice at their range. Many classes will include the cost of the firearm rental and ammunition in their fee, Midwest did.

Additional costs would be about $9 to have Walgreens take your pictures, and the costs of your time from work and gas or public transportation fees (the City office is 1 block from the Kedzie Orange line station) to visit the Chicago Office at 4770 South Kedzie (my neighborhood) where they will process the class certificate and your CFP form and picture, take your $100 fee and your fingerprints (they do it with a scanner, no old fashioned ink)and also where you can pick up a stack of registration cards for future use....take more than you think you will need to avoid return visits -lol

Fast and easy? No! Something everyone in the State has to do? Oh, heck No! Would I like it if it went away and we shared the 2nd Amendment fully like the rest of the country? Do you have to ask? LOl

yes that the procedure you dont like it join the fight ! personally i will keep a copy of the constitution in my pocket as my permit

But there are lots of things that make living in this and many other major metro areas "different and more costly" that living in rural America. The point is that where once there was virtually NO way to enjoy the handgun hobby in Chicago there now is a way, draconian though it is. And if the reader of this chooses to ignore it or think 'it won't happen to me'? Then that is their choice and they get to deal with the consequences, if any. I had the same decision to make and chose to make the investment in immediately getting my CFP (one of this first 300 issued)

Getting eaten by a bear should be unconstitutional, but if I go walking thru the woods eating nuts and berries with honey on my butt, I may find few grizzly constitutional scholars - LOL

I 100% agree that the whole process is simply wrong - I however made the deliberate and personally deliberated choice to invest a few hundred dollars in getting legal rather than paying far more than that in legal fees to plead my case and make my points of law in court were I caught in violation.

Well, I suspect one point that should be made is that through various governments, certain cumbersome regulations have been repealed. I am thinking of the mandated training and carry licenses in a few of the states. In some states, what used to be cumbersome restrictions on carry (eg. mandated training, license, and associated fees) simply are no more.

The bottom line is this ... while I think it is in their best interest for Chicago residents to comply with all the various onerous and cumbersome restrictions, it is also in their best interest to work diligently to get those restrictions repealed.

To qualify for the CFP you MUST take a a 5 hour training program, available at many gun shops (I used Midwest Sports in Lyons for $125) which includes both classroom and live fire practice at their range. Many classes will include the cost of the firearm rental and ammunition in their fee, Midwest did.

I sat next to Randy (I only figured this out later), and can vouch for him being there :yes1:

• 2 weeks later...
the fact of the matter is i consede to not registering the firearm on time i am not denying this we tried to explain this to the hearing officer but he refused to listen i want to get the big picture in not what this administrative hearing court only wants, my cfp is not being revoked just the firearm registration I can just go to the gun store and buy another one which I will, I want to prove a point if you get a ticket for speeding they dont take your car away and destroy it. you pay 120$ and go to traffic school and keep your car. why can't it be the same for a firearm ? because the citys a bully that picks on its hard working citizens bottom line the city doesnt want firearms at all and are going to make it hard to get one and if you dont follow the citys rules they will destroy your firearm but guess what it is in the Constitution ! i am tired of paying 120$ for city stickers paying the highest taxes around highest gas prices and now they want make it difficult for me to practice my constitutional right.This is why i am fighting this one on my own dime if you are offended I am sorry but I will not let the bully push me around anymore !

the fact of the matter is i consede to not registering the firearm on time i am not denying this we tried to explain this to the hearing officer but he refused to listen i want to get the big picture in not what this administrative hearing court only wants, my cfp is not being revoked just the firearm registration I can just go to the gun store and buy another one which I will, I want to prove a point if you get a ticket for speeding they dont take your car away and destroy it. you pay 120$ and go to traffic school and keep your car. why can't it be the same for a firearm ? because the citys a bully that picks on its hard working citizens bottom line the city doesnt want firearms at all and are going to make it hard to get one and if you dont follow the citys rules they will destroy your firearm but guess what it is in the Constitution ! i am tired of paying 120$ for city stickers paying the highest taxes around highest gas prices and now they want make it difficult for me to practice my constitutional right.This is why i am fighting this one on my own dime if you are offended I am sorry but I will not let the bully push me around anymore !

One of the city's practices that we challenged in McDonald was making a particular firearm permanently unregisterable, forcing you to go buy a new one to register it. I don't believe that rule is in the new ordinance/regulations.

One of the city's practices that we challenged in McDonald was making a particular firearm permanently unregisterable, forcing you to go buy a new one to register it. I don't believe that rule is in the new ordinance/regulations.

hmm but if i understand the ordinance correctly if the firearm registration is revoked u will have to dispose/remove/or surrender the firearm doesnt that automatically make u purchase another firearm ? and or sell it back to firearms dealer, i mean i can go back and tranfer it back to the dealer and back to me and re register it but why just not fine me and approve the registration ? or late registration penalty. The city just wants one more gun off the "streets" they only filed this admin case when they saw i filed a motion to recover the the firearm back when the criminal case was SOL after that they also reinstated the criminal case right after I filed said motion but they didnt think we would be able to get the criminal action dismissed but we did now they just do not want me to recover the firearm thats what i take out of this ?

by the way i put the date i actually purchased the firearm ( which of course was passed the 5 days) and they approved the registration like this

Archived