Photo

WALTHER (H&K) MP5

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 409gary

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

I have a question regarding the Walther MP 5 .22 Cal.  Is it correct, that the 16" barrel keeps this gun from

from being a NFA item?   At what point is a "compensator" deemed to be a "silencer" or "noise suppressor"?

I understand these rifles are no longer imported to the us, but they are still legal without NFA stamp, correct?

Hope this makes sense.  If anyone can shed a little light I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Federal Firearms Licensee

Member: 2nd Amend Foundation-Life Member

Member: NRA Benefactor-Life Member

Member: National Shooting Sports Foundation

Member: Illinois State Rifle Association

Member: Browning Collectors Association

US Army, Second Armored Division

#2 Helpdesk9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

GSG makes them now.. Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#3 ultra magnus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

GSG makes them now..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Two different guns, both suck.

#4 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

Not sure if the GSG or Walther(probably made by Umarex) are still being made.

16" is the magic number that divides a "regular" rifle from an SBR.

Even if they are no longer in the supply chain, what is in country would still be legal and not require NFA stamp unless there was a changed ATF ruling.

IANAL
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#5 WitchDoctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

I see both brands for sale on gun deals dot com. I would not buy either one.

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R Blue Devil

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#6 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

CDNN has them for cheap, because they are cheap.  

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#7 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

GSG makes them now..

Did you have a bad experience with one of them? I have the Walther/Umarex one and couldn't be happier. It's accurate even with bulk ammo and has never jammed, not even once, in a couple thousand rounds. I've shot Steel Challenge with it a few times. The two things I don't like are the collapsible stock isn't the most comfortable to get a cheek weld and it's heavier than I'd like.

To the OP, it's a rfile, legally speaking. The barrel is at least 16" and the faux suppressor just slips over it and screws down tight. It doesn't add anything but weight and looks. It's not a comp, brake, etc. I thought that at some point in the future I would chop the barrel to make it into an SBR and didn't want to deal with getting the pistol and having to buy a stock later. I'm thinking that this was a good move as I don't really see these on sale anywhere, let alone just the stocks.

#8 ultra magnus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

GSG makes them now..

Did you have a bad experience with one of them? I have the Walther/Umarex one and couldn't be happier. It's accurate even with bulk ammo and has never jammed, not even once, in a couple thousand rounds. I've shot Steel Challenge with it a few times. The two things I don't like are the collapsible stock isn't the most comfortable to get a cheek weld and it's heavier than I'd like.
To the OP, it's a rfile, legally speaking. The barrel is at least 16" and the faux suppressor just slips over it and screws down tight. It doesn't add anything but weight and looks. It's not a comp, brake, etc. I thought that at some point in the future I would chop the barrel to make it into an SBR and didn't want to deal with getting the pistol and having to buy a stock later. I'm thinking that this was a good move as I don't really see these on sale anywhere, let alone just the stocks.

Never owned one. Shot a few different ones. Consistant sub par performance. Sold a decent number, customers almost always complained about them. Like the Sig Mosquito there may be a few that work ok, but the majority are junk.

#9 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

[quote name="ultra magnus" post="1104630" timestamp="1504461845"][quote name="jagt48" post="1104602" timestamp="1504439624"][quote name="ultra magnus" post="1104431" timestamp="1504234849"][quote name="Helpdesk9" post="1104252" timestamp="1504142561"]GSG makes them now..
Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk[/quote]

Two different guns, both suck.[/quote]

To the OP, it's a rfile, legally speaking. The barrel is at least 16" and the faux suppressor just slips over it and screws down tight. It doesn't add anything but weight and looks. It's not a comp, brake, etc. I thought that at some point in the future I would chop the barrel to make it into an SBR and didn't want to deal with getting the pistol and having to buy a stock later. I'm thinking that this was a good move as I don't really see these on sale anywhere, let alone just the stocks.[/quote]

Never owned one. Shot a few different ones. Consistant sub par performance. Sold a decent number, customers almost always complained about them. Like the Sig Mosquito there may be a few that work ok, but the majority are junk.[/quote]

Just to be clear, are you talking about the Walther/Umarex MP5 or the GSG that Walther sued for copyright infringement?

#10 ultra magnus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:17 PM

[quote name="jagt48" post="1104660" timestamp="1504480838"][quote name="ultra magnus" post="1104630" timestamp="1504461845"][quote name="jagt48" post="1104602" timestamp="1504439624"][quote name="ultra magnus" post="1104431" timestamp="1504234849"][quote name="Helpdesk9" post="1104252" timestamp="1504142561"]GSG makes them now..
Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk[/quote]

Two different guns, both suck.[/quote]

To the OP, it's a rfile, legally speaking. The barrel is at least 16" and the faux suppressor just slips over it and screws down tight. It doesn't add anything but weight and looks. It's not a comp, brake, etc. I thought that at some point in the future I would chop the barrel to make it into an SBR and didn't want to deal with getting the pistol and having to buy a stock later. I'm thinking that this was a good move as I don't really see these on sale anywhere, let alone just the stocks.[/quote]

Never owned one. Shot a few different ones. Consistant sub par performance. Sold a decent number, customers almost always complained about them. Like the Sig Mosquito there may be a few that work ok, but the majority are junk.[/quote]

Just to be clear, are you talking about the Walther/Umarex MP5 or the GSG that Walther sued for copyright infringement?[/quote]

Technically I was speaking of the umarex, but I've had the exact same experience with the gsg. I'd rate the umarex a little better than the gsg but the airgun heritage feels pretty apparent in both. They hold up more like airsoft guns than real weapons.

#11 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

Got it. I agree it does feel like a toy as it's mostly plastic and cheap metal, but I've saving my pennies for a Zenith Z5-RS. This will have to do in the meantime. Sorry to derail the thread...

#12 Reaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

You should check out the CZ Scorpion, in pistol or carbine.

#13 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

Not sure who that was directed to, but that makes more sense. I've slowly been trying to convince myself that this is the better choice. Half the price, $20 magazines, and has a bolt hold open.

#14 InterestedBystander

• 3,091 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

[quote name="jagt48" post="1104670" timestamp="1504486121"]Got it. I agree it does feel like a toy as it's mostly plastic and cheap metal, but I've saving my pennies for a Zenith Z5-RS. This will have to do in the meantime. Sorry to derail the thread...[/quote

That z5rs is appealing, although pricey, isn't it?
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#15 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

[quote name="InterestedBystander" post="1104739" timestamp="1504550193"][quote name="jagt48" post="1104670" timestamp="1504486121"]Got it. I agree it does feel like a toy as it's mostly plastic and cheap metal, but I've saving my pennies for a Zenith Z5-RS. This will have to do in the meantime. Sorry to derail the thread...[/quote

That z5rs is appealing, although pricey, isn't it?[/quote]

It's a silly choice I know, but I've wanted an MP5 since I was a kid. My PTR-91 is fun, but definitely not cheap to shoot. Obviously the answer to is spend $2k on an MP5 clone and a few mags instead of 4k rounds of 7.62 NATO...

#16 Reaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

Not sure who that was directed to, but that makes more sense. I've slowly been trying to convince myself that this is the better choice. Half the price, $20 magazines, and has a bolt hold open.

The Scorpion, in carbine, is a fun gun.  I have one.  If you buy one, get ready to buy more ammo.  It's half the price if the Zenith and I've seen 30 round mags for less than $20 and it's super easy to clean.

#17 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

The Scorpion, in carbine, is a fun gun.  I have one.  If you buy one, get ready to buy more ammo.  It's half the price if the Zenith and I've seen 30 round mags for less than $20 and it's super easy to clean.

You're not making this any easier!

#18 geomick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:19 PM

Telling you that "the Scorpion pistol (especially when connected to a single point sling) is a lot of fun to shoot" isn't going to make it easier, either.

#19 Reaper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

Telling you that "the Scorpion pistol (especially when connected to a single point sling) is a lot of fun to shoot" isn't going to make it easier, either.

I have the carbine, not the pistol, but I can tell ya, it's a lot of fun to shoot.

#20 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

I'm currently shopping for a brace for a future pistol purchase...

#21 InterestedBystander

• 3,091 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:00 PM

Dupe *delete*

Edited by InterestedBystander, 07 September 2017 - 10:02 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#22 InterestedBystander

• 3,091 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:02 PM

MP5-RH-collapsed-logo-sized.jpg

(not released yet, but was slated for later in year. Tailhook Mod 3)

Edited by InterestedBystander, 07 September 2017 - 10:03 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#23 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

I was looking at the Tailhook Mod 1 that is out for the Scorpion. It apparently uses just the extension part of the CZ stock as the ATF doesn't include this part in its definition. Go figure. That HK picture keeps popping up in my searches and reminds me of why I wanted the HK in the first place.

#24 InterestedBystander

• 3,091 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

I was looking at the Tailhook Mod 1 that is out for the Scorpion. It apparently uses just the extension part of the CZ stock as the ATF doesn't include this part in its definition. Go figure. That HK picture keeps popping up in my searches and reminds me of why I wanted the HK in the first place.

The fixed SB5 brace also gives the MP5/Zenith clones that classic look. Some say the MP5 platform is outdated, but I still find it appealing.

Zenith_Z-5RS_ArmBrace_Right_Feather_2880

Apologies to the OP for taking original question off track.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#25 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

[quote name="InterestedBystander" post="1105085" timestamp="1504888625"][quote name="jagt48" post="1105079" timestamp="1504883186"][quote name="InterestedBystander" post="1105031" timestamp="1504843320"][quote name="jagt48" post="1104999" timestamp="1504821102"]
I'm currently shopping for a brace for a future pistol purchase...[/quote]
(not released yet, but was slated for later in year. Tailhook Mod 3)[/quote]

I was looking at the Tailhook Mod 1 that is out for the Scorpion. It apparently uses just the extension part of the CZ stock as the ATF doesn't include this part in its definition. Go figure. That HK picture keeps popping up in my searches and reminds me of why I wanted the HK in the first place.[/quote]

The fixed SB5 brace also gives the MP5/Zenith clones that classic look. Some say the MP5 platform is outdated, but I still find it appealing.Zenith_Z-5RS_ArmBrace_Right_Feather_2880
Apologies to the OP for taking original question off track.[/quote]

This was my original intention. The price difference between the Zenith and CZ is really what's holding me back.

Also, yes, apologies to the OP. I keep veering this thread off track...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users