NRA Instructor Question

Drylok

I don't have it with me at the moment. However I was able to get in touch with my counselor and he reminded me that initially cert is good for one year and then you can renew for either 1 or 3 more years. I see where to update/renew on the website now. I have some info that needs to be re-entered on my last 2 students and then I can renew and begin setting up my next classes.

I took it at Armed missouri inc. The only pre-req was you must unlearn what you have learned as my counselor put it lol. No there are no pre-requisites but it's a long course, 2 8-10 hour days. But man what an eye opener. It really makes you pause and rethink things when it comes to safety

Hey Drylock, where did you got to take the instructor course? Was there any prerequisites?

The only prerequisite required by the NRA is a precourse live fire session to prove basic firearm safety, knowledge and marksmanship. The requirement was removed back in 1998 then for some reason quietly re-instated. This information can be determined in the class. This prerequisit just uses up valuable class time, but it once again must be done.

I believe everyone would get more out of the instructor class if they have taken the basic class first.

Hey Drylock, where did you got to take the instructor course? Was there any prerequisites?

The only prerequisite required by the NRA is a precourse live fire session to prove basic firearm safety, knowledge and marksmanship. The requirement was removed back in 1998 then for some reason quietly re-instated. This information can be determined in the class. This prerequisit just uses up valuable class time, but it once again must be done.

I believe everyone would get more out of the instructor class if they have taken the basic class first.

Well basically that's part of why it's a 2 day course. The first part is us taking the basic pistol class and the balance is them teaching us how to teach what we just learned.

In subsequent instructor classes (after you have done one instructor class), you do not need to re-take the BIT (Basic Instructor Training) again. You can just take the part that covers whatever class you are wanting to be trained for. I was under the impression that there was generally a prerequisite of having taken the class that you want to be an instructor for - but that may have just been for the folks that I got my training with. I could be incorrect about that.

Well basically that's part of why it's a 2 day course. The first part is us taking the basic pistol class and the balance is them teaching us how to teach what we just learned.

The instructor course outline has the new instructor canidate teach the basic firearm course using the teaching principles and methods learned from the six hour Basic Trainers Guide course. The NRA TC does not have time to both teach the basic course then turn around a have the canidates teach it again. The TC does offer help, but that not the same as having experienced several instructors using their knowledge to teach their complete lesson.

I insist that all instructor canidates retake the BTG each time. Repetition is good. I like to build the team spirit by all canidates starting and ending the class as one cohesive group.

The BIC was renamed the Basic Trainers Guide course around 2004. At the time it was used with the Coaches schools.

Thank you for the correction. The next discipline I am going for is inside the home self defense instructor. Since we dont' have carry that is what our students are interested in after they take basic pistol.

I am glad I took the Personal Protection In the Home (PPITH) instructor course (BTW, there is a timed live-fire drill you have to pass for that certification, so be ready for that! Two shots in two seconds, 7 yards at a paper plate, starting from low-ready position). I do want to do the PPOTH course when I can.

Archived