New pocket knife

TRJ

I got a small bonus at work so I decided to buy me a little "me" present before investing the rest. A little looking around for a small light pocketknife for EDC netted me the Benchmade 485 Valet model. M390 steel. Axis Lock. 2.96" blade. Thin, just .45" . Lightweight, just under 2.2 oz. G10 scales. Deep carry pocket clip hides the whole knife in the pocket. It came hair popping sharp.

Axis lock and joint was a little stiff out of the box. 1/20th of a turn on the appropriate screw and a few drops of FP10 and this thing is deploy-able with a slight flick.

My Benchmade collection is growing. Now I have three of the 14716 Mini HK Axis knives (discontinued), a 585 Mini Barrage Axis Assist model, a 556-1 Mini Griptilian with G10 scales, blue spacers, and CPM-20CV steel, and a standard 550 Mini Griptilian. It's hard to decide which one to carry, but I'm thinking the new Valet might see a lot of time in my pocket.

post-13116-0-63173000-1538930168_thumb.png

post-13116-0-21387400-1538930193_thumb.png

I got a small bonus at work so I decided to buy me a little "me" present before investing the rest. A little looking around for a small light pocketknife for EDC netted me the Benchmade 485 Valet model. M390 steel. Axis Lock. 2.96" blade. Thin, just .45" . Lightweight, just under 2.2 oz. G10 scales. Deep carry pocket clip hides the whole knife in the pocket. It came hair popping sharp.

Axis lock and joint was a little stiff out of the box. 1/20th of a turn on the appropriate screw and a few drops of FP10 and this thing is deploy-able with a slight flick.

My Benchmade collection is growing. Now I have three of the 14716 Mini HK Axis knives (discontinued), a 585 Mini Barrage Axis Assist model, a 556-1 Mini Griptilian with G10 scales, blue spacers, and CPM-20CV steel, and a standard 550 Mini Griptilian. It's hard to decide which one to carry, but I'm thinking the new Valet might see a lot of time in my pocket.

Good looking knife. Great brand also.

I've been thinking about buying one of these. I've looked at the Valet a couple times in different stores. Two things always stopped me: The screws under the deep carry pocket clip and a little too high to let it slip all the way over my pocket for true deep carry. Also, every one I've seen in person has been a straight edge. I prefer the half serrated combo-edge. I know I can always order the edge I want, but...

Other than that, I love the size, feel and materials of this little gem. I wish the G10 scales came in black instead of gray, though.

Great purchase. Congratulations!

-- Frank

I've been thinking about buying one of these. I've looked at the Valet a couple times in different stores. Two things always stopped me: The screws under the deep carry pocket clip and a little too high to let it slip all the way over my pocket for true deep carry. Also, every one I've seen in person has been a straight edge. I prefer the half serrated combo-edge. I know I can always order the edge I want, but...

Other than that, I love the size, feel and materials of this little gem. I wish the G10 scales came in black instead of gray, though.

Great purchase. Congratulations!

-- Frank

Check this out. I think Benchmade revised the screws because I saw a few reviews online where they complained about the clip being awkward with no room for pocket fabric to clear the screws. No problem here.

post-13116-0-31439700-1538935406_thumb.png

Nice knife, congrats. I really like Benchmade, I've own 3, my 1st was a Griptilian (bought from a member of this site, thanks Thiokol) that I've passed on to my son, my EDC is a BM CLA, my backup (for when I go to places that an Auto is a no no) is a BM Model 590BK, seriously thinking of adding a BM Barrage to the lineup.

Archived