Moved from Texas to Chicago

Green Baker

I would make sure that my Glock is Chicago legal. Such as 15 round magazine capacity or less, no threaded barrel, etc.

Most of us non lawyers interpret that there's no magazine capacity limit on handguns in Chicago or anywhere else in Illinois because there is no Illinois law regarding magazine capacity.

FYI, the state police or any police for that matter are not the authority on the law so don't waste your time asking them. If you need further clarification on the below ask a lawyer.

430 ILCS 66/90

Sec. 90. Preemption. The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on licensees or handguns and ammunition for handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.

You should be good.

There's a misnomer nationwide that Chicago's gun laws are especially egregious. However, when the Concealed Carry Act was passed, it pre-empted local gun laws...except for "assault weapons" bans that were in place prior to the act being put into law. So, local "assault weapons" bans are legitimate. Magazine capacity limits are not. Some cities like Chicago still have them on the books. I don't believe they're enforceable and that seems to be the consensus here.

HOWEVER! A magazine capacity limit is making its way through the state legislature. Hopefully it will die and unceremonious death very soon.

430 ILCS 66/90Sec. 90. Preemption. The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State.
Ever since I became a licensee, I've been transporting my ammunition in these fancy ammo transportation magazines that came with my firearm.

430 ILCS 66/90

Sec. 90. Preemption. The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State.

Ever since I became a licensee, I've been transporting my ammunition in these fancy ammo transportation magazines that came with my firearm.

Heh.

Although it doesn’t apply to your original question, you may want to review what Chicago considers an Assault Weapon.

https://chicagocode.org/8-20-010/

Also I am not sure if you are actually going to reside within Chicago city limits, if not then you might want to look up the local city or Cook County’s information.

Looks like the template for Feinstien's new AWB.

Archived