Why haven't they hammered us?

max503

Simply put, the democrats have all the power in Illinois. So why haven't they done to us what we are seeing happen in other states like Virginia? So far no magazine restrictions, etc. I know the restrictions on dealers are pretty ominous, but it seems to me they are holding back for some reason. Do you think they will hold off until after the national election in November?

My guess...

We are already more restricted than some states, but in a rather "common sense compromise" sort of way.

The FOID protects us... we don't need more background checks because they have existed for decades.

The CCL pre-emption provision and AWB ban protect us from mag limits and nonsense rifle bans.

Though Illinois seems fairly restricted, we are better off than states such as NY, NJ, HA and CA.

VA had always been seemingly unrestricted and left a lot of room for "improvements" from those who think there is a problem.

I hope the dealer thing is sorted out soon, and more in favor of the needs of FFLs. The processing time for a FOID and CCL needs to be seriously shortened... and it would be pretty nice if having a FOID and or a CCL would give the holder extra benefits such as a suspension of the waiting period.

Ideally none of these licensing schemes should be necessary.

My guess...

We are already more restricted than some states, but in a rather "common sense compromise" sort of way.

The FOID protects us... we don't need more background checks because they have existed for decades.

The CCL pre-emption provision and AWB ban protect us from mag limits and nonsense rifle bans.

Though Illinois seems fairly restricted, we are better off than states such as NY, NJ, HA and CA.

VA had always been seemingly unrestricted and left a lot of room for "improvements" from those who think there is a problem.

I hope the dealer thing is sorted out soon, and more in favor of the needs of FFLs. The processing time for a FOID and CCL needs to be seriously shortened... and it would be pretty nice if having a FOID and or a CCL would give the holder extra benefits such as a suspension of the waiting period.

Ideally none of these licensing schemes should be necessary.

As onerus (and Unconstitutional) as the FOID system is, I have to agree, in many ways it protects us from a lot of this crap sense gun control bills. Those who sing for FOID to be found illegal, or removed, might not end up liking what they wish for. Because, yes, uf it is removed we WILL see the whole package of Bloomberg's Bills implemented. Without the FOID system, Dems WILL pass laws like Background checks on all ammo purchases, (see also California), you name it.

Do I wish our state honored the Constitution, was like Missouri for instance, 100% yes. But, I also realize the reality of a too populous Crook County forever controlling our politics UNTIL Someone finally challenges Reynolds vs Sims that forces State Senates to be redistricted by equal population, and thus allows for based on geography like the US Senate. So, I'll be honest, in this state, as it's politics currently are, I'm not sure, I want to see the FOID go away.

To the OP, Part of it also is that there are rural districts that are very pro 2A but also still vote Democrat. So not all the Dem state reps and senators are anti-gun. Atleast, not yet.

Simply put, the democrats have all the power in Illinois. So why haven't they done to us what we are seeing happen in other states like Virginia? So far no magazine restrictions, etc. I know the restrictions on dealers are pretty ominous, but it seems to me they are holding back for some reason. Do you think they will hold off until after the national election in November?

Chicago Democrats telegraphed a desire for an omnibus gun bill last year when the House Firearm Public Awareness Task Force was formed. The intention at the time seemed to be a Spring Session bill that would fix everything up, in their minds. I'm sure that would include tossing gun owners a bone or two in in effort to buy a few votes.

So far that bill hasn't been filed. It could be that anti-gun legislators are giving the task force their wish lists instead of filing individual bills, or it could be that their plans got derailed by so many getting pulled into corruption investigations.

I see a lot of the shell bills are starting to come in. Makes it harder to track those firearm bills when they start their shenanigans IMO.

Yep, you really have to pay close attention to Senate bills in particular. Sometimes it seems like they never file anything but shell bills in the Senate.

That is because they are doing the "shell game" with that pea (a bill) under the nut shell. :pinch:

I'll throw this out there--maybe just wishful thinking though.

Gun control has been seen as a good political issue for the suburban wine mom crowd (I guess that's the new term for Soccer Mom). The gun control activist groups are foot soldiers that can be played for a range of progressive issues and candidates. Looking at some of the witness slip contributors on their side you see a range of progressive groups not remotely related to the 2nd Amendment getting on board for gun control and I would bet they count on the gun control groups to get on board with the other issues as required. Politically, IMO, gun control is a better tool for the Dem machine as long as it's not "solved." A small victory here, a set back there--keep the troops hungry and involved.

Then you have Virginia. IL gun owners are lazy and ignorant, for the most part. I know many like that; I'm sure you do as well. You slap them in the face with really onerous bills and a serious in your face threat and suddenly they wake up. Maybe the downstate Democrats (many of whom are our friends) suddenly become Downstate Republicans. Maybe the gains they have made in DuPage and Lake and McHenry counties disappear in a flash.

And... Pritzker really wants that progressive state income tax next year and a riled up conservative base might not allow that to happen.

Again, that makes sense to me but it would have made sense in Virginia until they went there. However, the push back already has reached the point where the VA state elections in 2020 are going to be "interesting" for the new Dem majorities.

Also... some of the recent bills seem to be pointing in the direction of farming money from gun owners. It would be interesting to see how that might progress. Here's a though. You can have your suppressors and SBRs, but you pay a $50 or $100 state version of the federal tax.

Maybe it's due to the fact that the tide has been moving towards less restrictions and enforcing existing laws, as a country. Of course with some exceptions ie Virginia. The tide moving towards a pro 2A attitude and a number of Illinois legislators that are currently under investigations, they don't want any spot light shining on them what so ever. Majority of those investigations are towards the bigger fish of our state. Those bottom feeders are too worried about keeping their name out of the news regardless of the subject.

Archived