Hi, I'm new to the forum and expect to be on here often as I have a lot to learn. I'm a 32 year old man and for the last 32 years, all I've known is Texas, so now I will be moving to Illinois later this year as my wife's job is taking us there for a couple of years. I am currently serving in the Army National Guard and have a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) in the state of Texas. As expected, being a Texan and all, I own many firearms, some of which are "assault weapons" *giggles*.

Thus far, all I know is that I can't take them with me initially, so I've already moved my guns into storage and will move them to Illinois with me once I jumped through all of the legal hoops required in order to do so.

I am here to look for advice and tips on where to start; to give you some idea of what area I'll be in, it'll be near the Hoffman Estates. I've already contacted the Police Dept, and all they told me was to leave my guns in TX, move to Il, apply for a FOID and wait. Not sure what to do next.

OBJECTIVE: My overall objective in this topic is to eventually be able to conceal carry in the state of Illinois, to visit a gun range often and to be able to keep my firearms stored at home.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS. I just realized I misspelled "moving", how do I correct that?

Get an IL drivers license. Then apply for FOID. You will need to take a class for CCL, but I believe you can apply for your CCL at the same time that you are waiting for your FOID. Understand that you are taking a big downgrade in terms of 2A freedoms in this state compared to more conservative states (mostly the result of Chicago politicians) However once you get all that squared away you will be fine. Hoffman Estates is a nice area, but still in Cook County. They have a Cabelas there but the county enacted an ammo and gun tax so you will likely be buying most stuff in other counties anyway. GL with the move.

Don't have a cow man!

LOL!

I lived in Texas too for a while and while Illinois does make you jump through a few hoops it really is not all the onerous. Get here, get your DL and apply for your FOID. That will take a few weeks to process. My wife just got hers in three weeks. Once you have the FOID you can legally possess your firearms. Do review the law for anything that might be banned here or take extra permits such as suppressors.

As for CCL, you will need to take the class. The good thing is you will not have to take all 16 hours. Your military training or other training will wipe out 8 hours of the class. Gat Guns in East Dundee is a good place to go, is near Hoffman Estates and is probably one of the larger stores/ranges around.

Cost of the CCL is high and takes a while to issue, anywhere from 60-120 or sometimes even longer if there are issues. It is annoying.

Cheers and welcome to the great white north. :-(

OMG! Assault weapons. I thought you could bring them and you had 90 days till your foid arrives. But I guess its better to be on the side of caution. Good luck. I would rather live in Texas but family keeps me here.

I thought so too, so I asked when I called the Poice Dept and they said that only applies to Driver's License and vehicle registration. As for being in Texas, I truly love it here and embrace my state with so much love; however, I also love my wife and now am returning the support as she's supported me on my military obligations along with civilian job moving us to different locations. Although we love Texas, we look forward to stepping out of our comfort zone and seeing what it's like in Il.

You will be fine bringing your guns with you on your initial move. You have 90 days after moving to get an Illinois drivers license but should get it as soon as you set up residence. After getting your driver's license, go to https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Login.aspx, set up an account and apply for your FOID. After you get your FOID, hit the range. You can take the required course and apply for your CCL while waiting for your FOID to be approved. After that, apply for your CCL.

The FOID Act gives you a 60 exemption from the FOID requirement, from the time you get an Illinois driver's license or ID:

(430 ILCS 65/2)

Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.

(d) Any person who becomes a resident of this State, who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm or firearm ammunition, shall not be required to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to possess firearms or firearms ammunition until 60 calendar days after he or she obtains an Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card.

There is some risk, though, that the state will take longer than 60 days to issue your FOID card.

I fixed it for you.

Don't have a cow man!

LOL!

I lived in Texas too for a while and while Illinois does make you jump through a few hoops it really is not all the onerous. Get here, get your DL and apply for your FOID. That will take a few weeks to process. My wife just got hers in three weeks. Once you have the FOID you can legally possess your firearms. Do review the law for anything that might be banned here or take extra permits such as suppressors.

As for CCL, you will need to take the class. The good thing is you will not have to take all 16 hours. Your military training or other training will wipe out 8 hours of the class. Gat Guns in East Dundee is a good place to go, is near Hoffman Estates and is probably one of the larger stores/ranges around.

Cost of the CCL is high and takes a while to issue, anywhere from 60-120 or sometimes even longer if there are issues. It is annoying.

Cheers and welcome to the great white north. :-(

Thanks for you awesome insight and that certainly gives me a plan of attack once I arrive. I always like to plan ahead and beat the lines; however, the only downfall to whole thing is that I can't start anything until I have an address in Il, so it'll all have to wait until we actually move.

This was addressed in detail last summer, in the case of another Texan with same question, here:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61972

Excellent, I missed this one when looking for a post that had something in common with what my questions were. Thanks btw

The FOID Act gives you a 60 exemption from the FOID requirement, from the time you get an Illinois driver's license or ID:

(430 ILCS 65/2)

(d) Any person who becomes a resident of this State, who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm or firearm ammunition, shall not be required to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to possess firearms or firearms ammunition until 60 calendar days after he or she obtains an Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card.

There is some risk, though, that the state will take longer than 60 days to issue your FOID card.

I fixed it for you.

Thanks for this great bit of information, this certainly puts me at ease. Think of it this way, as a Texan, for me to carry a gun everyday is almost the same as putting on a watch. Meaning it's completely normal to me, so if I move out of sate, and mostly to Illinois, I would like to have the comfort of at least taking my edc firearm (G19) and at a later time bring the rest.

Of course, this doesn't mean I'll conceal carry, but it'll certainly be better than not having anything at all. I've heard that the area we're moving to is fairly safe and not much crime, so that's also something that gives me peace of mind.

Thanks again.

Welcome to Illinois! I wish I was in Texas!

Thanks, tell me about it. I love it here and don't really want to go, nor does my Army unit, but it must be done for a short period of time. This is really the trickiest thing, getting my guns into Illinois, so this information here is certainly helping me.

Do you have any sbr's or nfa items? Those require more hoops. Its almost like basketball

No nfa items and as for sbr, not sure; I have a 7.5" AR pistol with a Shockwave Blade pistol brace. I believe the same principles apply, it's a pistol if it "can't" be shouldered but I still need to find out about that.

Where in the state are you relocating to? That has a BIG impact on what you need to do.

EDIT

\Sorry, just re-read your OP. Hoffman Estates area.That's up there in "Enemy Territory". Good Luck on the move!

This, if you reside outside of cook county your firearms life and toll on your wallet will most likely be better.

And while you are a TX resident with a CCL, you are allowed to conceal carry while in your vehicle.

(430 ILCS 65/2)

I fixed it for you.

Thanks for this great bit of information, this certainly puts me at ease. Think of it this way, as a Texan, for me to carry a gun everyday is almost the same as putting on a watch. Meaning it's completely normal to me, so if I move out of sate, and mostly to Illinois, I would like to have the comfort of at least taking my edc firearm (G19) and at a later time bring the rest.

Of course, this doesn't mean I'll conceal carry, but it'll certainly be better than not having anything at all. I've heard that the area we're moving to is fairly safe and not much crime, so that's also something that gives me peace of mind.

Thanks again.

While you wait for your FOID you should become familiar with how to legally transport a firearm in Illinois:

-Unloaded

-In a case

-Must have FOID on you

You might want to take a qualified CCL course right away and submit CCL and FOID applications at the same time.

If you'll be in Hoffman Estates area, you'll be almost out of Cook county. My advice, move a bit further into another county. Huntley/Gilberts have cheap homes and some new construction. And you'll be close to On Target.

This. You're going to be so much better off if you just live outside of Cook County.

As mentioned above, Crook County sucks, but Hoffman Estates is one of the few home rule municipalities that has specifically pre-empted the County's "assault weapons" ban. That's why Cabela's (in Hoffman Estates) can and does sell ARs, AKs etc.

Do you have any sbr's or nfa items? Those require more hoops. Its almost like basketball

No nfa items and as for sbr, not sure; I have a 7.5" AR pistol with a Shockwave Blade pistol brace. I believe the same principles apply, it's a pistol if it "can't" be shouldered but I still need to find out about that.
Thats the same as a pistol.

As mentioned above, Crook County sucks, but Hoffman Estates is one of the few home rule municipalities that has specifically pre-empted the County's "assault weapons" ban. That's why Cabela's (in Hoffman Estates) can and does sell ARs, AKs etc.

Yes, but I belive still Cook Co firearms/ammo taxes, and other retailers and online shops limiting sales to Cook county residents.

Archived