Alternatives to Maxpedition Jk1 and Jk2

Davey

I'm looking for a unloaded/enclosed in a case solution.

The JK1 and JK2 from Maxpedition look decent but they are pretty gaudy to look at. I'd also like something a bit more modest and understated.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/CCW-Belt-Pouches-c136.htm

The Narrow Look bag looks like it might work but seems too bulky.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/NARROW-LOOK-BAG-p4135.htm.

The Sneaky Pete holsters look like they would work but I'd like to be able to FOID carry a gun that is compatible with my actual carry gun's magazines. I don't want to carry the types of guns that would fit in a Sneaky Pete. This way I can holster carry one set of magazines on my belt no matter which gun I'm using.

I have a 5.11 Moab 10 that I like a lot. The Moab 6 is a little smaller.

The Moabs are sling packs. If you want something more vanilla looking, or with 2 shoulder straps, they also have the Covrt 18.

Our member TARFU regularly posts backpack reviews on various websites, including ours at times. You might want to search for some of them or drop him a PM.

I have a 5.11 Moab 10 that I like a lot. The Moab 6 is a little smaller.

The Moabs are sling packs. If you want something more vanilla looking, or with 2 shoulder straps, they also have the Covrt 18.

Our member TARFU regularly posts backpack reviews on various websites, including ours at times. You might want to search for some of them or drop him a PM.

Thank you but Those are too bulky.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a unloaded/enclosed in a case solution.

The JK1 and JK2 from Maxpedition look decent but they are pretty gaudy to look at. I'd also like something a bit more modest and understated.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/CCW-Belt-Pouches-c136.htm

The Narrow Look bag looks like it might work but seems too bulky.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/NARROW-LOOK-BAG-p4135.htm.

The Sneaky Pete holsters look like they would work but I'd like to be able to FOID carry a gun that is compatible with my actual carry gun's magazines. I don't want to carry the types of guns that would fit in a Sneaky Pete. This way I can holster carry one set of magazines on my belt no matter which gun I'm using.

I have the JK1 and it is perfect for what I do. Nobody has ever given me looks. Yes LEO will know what you have but even they don't pay much attention. The only thing I do not like about it is they are bulky and getting access to your weapon is slow going. The rip chord on it does not seem to work all that great. You have to really tug hard

If you are looking for something that is small enough to feel like you're wearing nothing, but can conceal a pretty sizable pistol, along with a spare magazine, wallet, knife, and a fair bit of other stuff, try this:

Wilderness Safepacker

I use one and it's my primary means of carry, both for loaded concealed and unloaded FOID transport.

In CCL carry mode, I can get my Glock 29SF out and put a shot on target in less than 1.3 seconds. I pair it with a Snagmag when I'm FOID transporting, and I can draw, load, rack, and shoot in less than 1.9 seconds. You can also even attach the Safepacker to your belt, for a very solid "on-body-off-body" carry option, with the shoulder strap slung cross-body, to keep it secured in one place. I haven't practiced drawing and shooting like that, but I imagine I'd be even faster that way than having it just slung and "loose."

It looks like you're carrying a small, nondescript messenger bag and nothing more. I used a seamripper to remove the rubber logo plate from the front of it, so now mine looks even more generic and there's nothing to give it away. I've been talking to cops and when the subject of concealed carry came up, they thought I wasn't carrying, because I was wearing a tight T-shirt tucked into my waistband.

I am thinking about modifying mine and putting another Velcro side-opening on the rear seam of the bag, so I can walk around with a grip on my firearm. That will allow for last-ditch "shoot through" if I can't get the firearm out of the bag, but what it will do is enable the fastest possible draw for a concealed firearm, especially for walking in dark, unsafe areas. In that situation, having a gun literally in-hand doesn't really get much better, concealable, or convenient than that.

Archived