Photo

Appealing CCL Denied by ISP (this does not apply to denials by the Board of Review)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 15,221 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

The ISP's Frequently Asked Questions now has answers to questions about application denied by the ISP. 

https://ccl4illinois...Public/Faq.aspx

If my application for an FCCL is denied, can I appeal?

Yes, you may appeal the denial by making a written request for administrative review to the Department pursuant to 20 ILAC 1231.170.

What should the appeal include?

There is an appeal form that was attached to your denial letter and is also available on the Department's website. Your request must include the following information:

• Your full name, date of birth and Concealed Carry License Application Number; and
  • Documentation you possess that is relevant to and refutes the stated basis for the denial.

To whom do I appeal?

Your request for appeal must be submitted in writing to the Firearms Services Bureau, via U.S. mail, 801 South 7th Street, Attn: CCL Appeals, Suite 400M, Springfield, Illinois 62703, or by email to CCL_Appeals@isp.state.il.us.

What is my deadline to appeal?

You must make your written request within 60 days after receipt of the notice that your application is denied.

What if the reason my application was denied is that my training certificate is invalid?

You should request informal relief pursuant to 20 ILAC 1231.170( b] and submit a new training certificate issued consistent with the provisions of Section 75 of the Act.

What if I cannot schedule new training within 60 days of receipt of the notice that my application was denied?

You should appeal in writing within the 60 days to preserve your right to administrative appeal while you pursue further training. If you are denied informal relief because you do not have a new training certificate, you may request a formal administrative hearing which will allow you additional time to obtain a valid training certificate.

Can I get credit for any of the hours from my previous training certificate that has been determined to be invalid?

No. You will need to complete 16 hours of training from an approved instructor whose approval to instruct has not been revoked.

How do I get a refund for the training costs for the certificate that has been deemed invalid?

Questions regarding restitution should be directed to your instructor or the State's Attorney's Office for the county in which you received your training.

What if my application was denied by the CCLRB?

Pursuant to Section 87 of the Act, you may petition the Circuit Court in the county of your residence for a hearing upon the denial.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#2 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 15,221 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

You do not have to have an attorney to file an appeal for this type of denial.  Applicants denied by the ISP (NOT the board of review) must appeal through the ISP, not the circuit court.

Unless you get a final denial by the ISP, then you can appeal in court.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams