Democrat AWB in house close to being pushed through

steveTA84

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/200-house-democrats-sign-on-to-assault-weapons-ban-bill-of-2019/?fbclid=IwAR1hRIEvhPC7aAjuVC9TYn4zDKqF5E7QhAgFYoaNhFzxfRFciFSGUkd8W20

There are currently 235 Democrats in the US House of Representatives. In light of a report by The Hill today, that raises a questionare the other 35 or so on vacation?

The bill in question is HR 1296, also known as the Assault Weapons Ban of 2019. Thats a bill that Cicilline introduced in the House in February. Now, after the El Paso and Dayton shootings and various reports of wobbliness in the Senate and White House, congressional Dems are smelling an opportunity.

The bill would outlaw . . .

Semi-automatic rifles and pistols with a military-style feature that can accept a detachable magazine;

Semi-automatic rifles with a fixed magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds;

Semi-automatic shotguns with a military-style feature;

Any ammunition feeding device that can hold more than 10 rounds;

And 205 specifically-named and listed firearms.

Note the use of the singular a when referring to military-style features. The Clinton 1994 assault weapons ban outlawed firearms with two such features. The latest bill bans guns with only onemeaning millions more firearms would be outlawed than a generation ago.

Posted · Hidden by Lou, August 15, 2019 at 11:14 AM - Language
Hidden by Lou, August 15, 2019 at 11:14 AM - Language

So, What the hey!!! does this mean:

(2)

Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession, sale, or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of enactment of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2019.

I saw "grandfathered" in there too. Should we party and buy what we can now? I own several AR15 and Ar 10's. I don't need much more, but there is something that always catches my eye. I just need more ammo and more Pmags.

I think others are right, just like Chicago politics. Sucking dicks for votes. The horror!

Bill cracks me up:

Says this

"

“(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to any firearm that—

“(A) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action;"

And Paragraph 1 is

(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a semiautomatic assault weapon.

Which exempts ALL lever action and bolt action rifles period.

Then has long lists of exempted bolt, lever and pump action rifles by make and model.

It also makes illegal a particular pistol caliber carbine of mine because of one feature, but then expressly exempts it in the above mentioned lists.

(D)A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(i)A threaded barrel.

Oof, really?

That basically means zero suppressed handguns.

They need to be forced to understand what is being proposed and its impact. We have no silencers in IL but how many 22s come with a threaded barrel and becomes an instant assault weapon?

And whats the cosmetic hangup? A semi auto is a semi auto

"A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm."

Many firearms are based on a military design. For decades ex military has leaned to civilian versions for their personal use. They are familiar with them, know how to use, clean, etc

Which exempts ALL lever action and bolt action rifles period.

Then has long lists of exempted bolt, lever and pump action rifles by make and model.

Is this their way of ensuring no new makes or models can be made of "acceptable" firearms? Similar to the California roster where to be legal it has to be listed on the roster, then they simply don't add any new makes or models to it?

Archived