Transport Your Firearm Legally in Illinois

Molly B.

So if I have a CCL can I FOID carry at a posted Place of business instead of leaving my gun in the car.

Like at a posted Airport where you walk in with your guns in a case and check them in for your flight.

There is no such thing as "FOID carry" you can only transport (unloaded, in a case) with a FOID.

"Carry" would mean loaded and/or not in a case

But, yes, you can transport though most prohibited areas. Some places, like the secure area of an airport, are of course total no-go

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

With a CCL, you don't have to worry about unloading it. It still meets the legal definition of "carry", but someone can get away with transporting a loaded gun because of it.
Unless you want or need to transport it into or thru a prohibited zone of course! You cannot transport a loaded firearm on CTA or Metra for instance. It must be unloaded.

I hate bringing this up again but I still have a question about it. How I understand it:

- You can store a loaded gun in a case in your vehicle if you have a CCL.

- If you park in a prohibited zone (IE: school parking lot), you must unload then store in a case.

Is this the right way to think? :)

Thanks!

With a CCL, you don't have to worry about unloading it. It still meets the legal definition of "carry", but someone can get away with transporting a loaded gun because of it.
Unless you want or need to transport it into or thru a prohibited zone of course! You cannot transport a loaded firearm on CTA or Metra for instance. It must be unloaded.

I hate bringing this up again but I still have a question about it. How I understand it:

- You can store a loaded gun in a case in your vehicle if you have a CCL.

- If you park in a prohibited zone (IE: school parking lot), you must unload then store in a case.

Is this the right way to think? :)

Thanks!

You do not need to unload to store in a case in a car or to store in your trunk.

So if I have a CCL can I FOID carry at a posted Place of business instead of leaving my gun in the car.

Like at a posted Airport where you walk in with your guns in a case and check them in for your flight.

Technically you can transport into the non secure area of an airport. For instance, if you're flying and checking your firearm in as luggage.

Many think it's ok to "transport" in a posted prohibited area, but keep in mind that the definition of a "Concealed firearm" means a LOADED OR UNLOADED handgun

carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed

from view of the public or on or about a person within a

vehicle.

There's many other threads debating this topic, but I personally feel that it's not a good idea to "transport" in a prohibited area.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

"Concealed firearm" means a LOADED OR UNLOADED handgun

carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed

from view of the public or on or about a person within a

vehicle.

"Carried" is the operative word there. Carrying is different from transporting (there is case law dealing with this although I don't recall the exact cases offhand)

Hi, maybe I missed the correct thread to ask this, if so sorry.

i plan to visit Illinois in a few weeks. Can I WITHOUT a IL issued CCL or FOID, but WITH CCL from another state, 'transport' a unloaded pistol with a loaded mag, both in the same compartment of a fully closed carry-case that is fastened to me by a strap around my body? Assuming that I am staying clear of any building/areas that are GFZ. Also I understand that non-residents with their state-of-origin permits can carry in car, does that change if they stay for a few days?

A resourse to help you figure this out.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

i plan to visit Illinois in a few weeks. Can I WITHOUT a IL issued CCL or FOID, but WITH CCL from another state, 'transport' a unloaded pistol with a loaded mag, both in the same compartment of a fully closed carry-case that is fastened to me by a strap around my body? Assuming that I am staying clear of any building/areas that are GFZ. Also I understand that non-residents with their state-of-origin permits can carry in car, does that change if they stay for a few days?

Also, from http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt.+24&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=68200000&SeqEnd=71400000

(i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
(ii) are not immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card; or
(iv) are carried or possessed in accordance with
the Firearm Concealed Carry Act by a person who has been issued a currently valid license under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

So, your answer is: NO. I can not do so?

Also, from http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt.+24&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=68200000&SeqEnd=71400000

(i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
(ii) are not immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card; or
(iv) are carried or possessed in accordance with
the Firearm Concealed Carry Act by a person who has been issued a currently valid license under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Short answer is that I don't know.. Don't know that anyone will know... Prior to sIllinois getting CCL, I had researched mag out fanny carry and came to the conclusion that it was "most likely" legal but could be prosecuted depending on "things". I think that has remained largely unchanged with exception to GFZs. But, until a case gets tried in court, the possibility exists you still might get written up for Unlawful Use of a Weapon if it is somehow discovered.

That my $0.00000002 after taxes..

So, your answer is: NO. I can not do so?

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies if this has been addressed in the past. Is it allowable to "Transport" an unloaded, cased weapon into an establishment with the appropriate no gun signage? That is, if the handgun is unloaded and in a case (designed for handguns), and this case is attached to your belt, then are you allowed to transport this gun into a building with the proper no gun signage? Thank you, Mark

It's not likely that a hard and fast answer can be found here. There area gray areas between the FOID Act and the Concealed Carry Act that we think we know what they mean but if you are asking can you do this without worry of arrest and time with attorneys, no one can offer complete assurance that you won't.

The 'no-carry' signs refer to the Carry Act - says so right on the sign. It does not refer to the FOID Act, which is not listed on the sign. It seems pretty clear to most of us but not so clear to some law enforcement and state's attorneys. I would be very careful where you would choose to FOID carry.

You do not have to be 'passing through' to carry in your vehicle.

It's not likely that a hard and fast answer can be found here. There area gray areas between the FOID Act and the Concealed Carry Act that we think we know what they mean but if you are asking can you do this without worry of arrest and time with attorneys, no one can offer complete assurance that you won't.

The 'no-carry' signs refer to the Carry Act - says so right on the sign. It does not refer to the FOID Act, which is not listed on the sign. It seems pretty clear to most of us but not so clear to some law enforcement and state's attorneys. I would be very careful where you would choose to FOID carry.

Thank You very much Molly

If you have a license to carry from you're home state, IL law allows you to carry concealed in your vehicle. I also have a locked case to transport from my vehicle to my hotel room, where you can legally have it because it is your current residence. You must have a license from your state of residence, not a non-resident license, and your state does not havre to be on the IL list of approved states for a non-resident IL license.

If you have a license to carry from you're home state, IL law allows you to carry concealed in your vehicle. I also have a locked case to transport from my vehicle to my hotel room, where you can legally have it because it is your current residence. You must have a license from your state of residence, not a non-resident license, and your state does not havre to be on the IL list of approved states for a non-resident IL license.

Technically, you do not have to have a permit/license from your home state... keep in mind, many states do not require a permit/license to carry.

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable;

• 2 weeks later...

Technically, you do not have to have a permit/license from your home state... keep in mind, many states do not require a permit/license to carry.

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable;

This is my question as a visitor from a state that doesn't require a carry permit. I'm wondering if I should chance having a loaded firearm in a vehicle in Illinois. I'm permitted to carry a pistol in my home state, without a permit.

Another question, and perhaps for another section, what is the time frame that someone that hasn't established residence is still considered a visitor? Family matters brought me to Illinois, and I'm not sure how long I will be here at a time. Does the time frame go back to zero if I go back to my home state then come back to Illinois

This is my question as a visitor from a state that doesn't require a carry permit. I'm wondering if I should chance having a loaded firearm in a vehicle in Illinois. I'm permitted to carry a pistol in my home state, without a permit.

Another question, and perhaps for another section, what is the time frame that someone that hasn't established residence is still considered a visitor? Family matters brought me to Illinois, and I'm not sure how long I will be here at a time. Does the time frame go back to zero if I go back to my home state then come back to Illinois

Your answer is above. If you wanted to, you can print out the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, as well as a printout from HandgunLaw.us explaining your state does not require a permit, and explain it all to any LEO that needs to know. Might be a bit cumbersome for him/her to go through all that paperwork to establish that you are legal, but what are the odds it will come up? If it does, your courteous response and being knowledgeable will go a long way.

Regarding residency, if you have an out of state driver's license and are driving a car that is registered out of state, I don't see any LEO's getting into a residency interrogation. Establishing residency in Illinois means that you live here and no longer live in another state.

Am actually driving a car native to Illinois. Drove a rental here and inherited a car and property. Still planning on living in my home state, but do not have a specific time frame I will be here yet.

Generally your legal domicile (residence) is a place to which you intend to return. If you have a home in another state, maintain your driver's license and voting registration there, file your income tax there, etc., it's a good indication that's your domicile.

More info: http://thelawdictionary.org/domicile/

• 2 months later...
I don't know who to contact but I think it's unfair that I have a FOID and can carry or defend on my property or place of business but can't also have it available in my vehicle without a CCL. Even though I meet ALL the requirements and paid all fees to getting a CCL I was still denied due to reasonable suspicion language in the act 430 ILCS 66/15 (a). This gives police or board any reason to deny even for something.

If non-residents of Chicago with a ccl but no FOID can carry in their vehicles loaded, Then why can't FOID holders have this option as well? I don't need to carry a gun on me everywhere I go but would like to have more flexibility on transporting. I don't necessarily want to deal with a possible dishonest cop that my load my transported firearm and say I was conceal carry unlawfully. I read stories of this happening.

Archived