Weapons of War

Illinois Sucks

Here is a partial list that some people call "weapons of war". As you can see, many are ones that were in "common use" at various times in history.

"Brown Bess" is a nickname of uncertain origin for the British Army's muzzle-loading smoothbore flintlock Land Pattern Musket and its derivatives. This musket was used in the era of the expansion of the British Empire and acquired symbolic importance at least as significant as its physical importance. It was in use for over a hundred years with many incremental changes in its design. These versions include the Long Land Pattern, the Short Land Pattern, the India Pattern, the New Land Pattern Musket and the Sea Service Musket.

Large numbers of Charleville Model 1763 and 1766 muskets were imported into the United States from France during the American Revolution, due in large part to the influence of Marquis de Lafayette. The Charleville 1766 heavily influenced the design of the Springfield Musket of 1795.

Long rifles were an American design of the 18th century, produced by individual German gunsmiths in Pennsylvania. Based on the Jäger rifle, long rifles, known as "Pennsylvania Rifles", were used by snipers and light infantry throughout the Revolutionary War. The grooved barrel increased the range and accuracy by spinning a snugly fitted ball, giving an accurate range of 300 yards compared to 100 yards for smoothbore muskets.

The Winchester Model 1897, also known as the Model 97, M97, or Trench Gun, was a pump-action shotgun with an external hammer and tube magazine manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company.

The Lee–Enfield is a bolt-action, magazine-fed, repeating rifle that served as the main firearm used by the military forces of the British Empire and Commonwealth during the first half of the 20th century. It was the British Army's standard rifle from its official adoption in 1895 until 1957. The WWI versions are often referred to as the "SMLE", which is short for the common "Short Magazine Lee-Enfield" variant.

The M1 Garand is a .30 caliber semi-automatic rifle that was the standard U.S. service rifle during World War II and the Korean War and also saw limited service during the Vietnam War. Most M1 rifles were issued to U.S. forces, though many hundreds of thousands were also provided as foreign aid to American allies.

One point - the AR15 and AR10 that are currently being sold to the civilian consumer market are NOT "weapons of war" as they are not "select fire" like their military cousins.

FYI :D

I think that if the gun manufacturers made quality semi autos that look more like traditional rifles than they look like military issue weapons, the media would not say a word. What the ignorant gun haters want is to see military "style" guns banned because they are "scary".

Not so. After Columbine high school massacre the media went after shotguns until quickly told to lay off. Divide and conquer.

Did England stop with "scary" guns.

All tools of freedom are scary to the media and liberals including free speech.

I think that if the gun manufacturers made quality semi autos that look more like traditional rifles than they look like military issue weapons, the media would not say a word. What the ignorant gun haters want is to see military "style" guns banned because they are "scary".

Not so. After Columbine high school massacre the media went after shotguns until quickly told to lay off. Divide and conquer.

Did England stop with "scary" guns.

All tools of freedom are scary to the media and liberals including free speech.

They try to target the guns that have the highest sales. Of course this has the opposite effect they intend as it increases sales even more. They especially hate guns in movies due to the marketing appeal. So even low volume sales stuff like the Barrett 50s sometimes get more attention than warranted.

The 70s and 80s had a huge surge in handgun sales with the wonder 9's, dirty Harry large caliber revolvers, and shooting sports that catered to handgunners. That's why everything was about banning handguns in that era. IE the Brady Handgun Prevention Act.

In the early 80s the $200 tax stamp for machine guns finally became affordable due to massive inflation and Reagan's economic recovery. So machine guns had to go.

Mid 80s and 90s was the action movie boom where the guns were as popular as the actors. So the broadly encompassing term "assault weapon" was coined that banned everything from the wonder 9's in their normal capacity to Mr. T's Ruger Mini. But not the Ranch Rifle because they just weren't as cool and popular.

After the AWB sunset all the guns that you couldn't have became 10x more popular because everyone wanted to stock up for the next ban.

The weapons of war term coincides with the new strategy of banning the gun owners themselves, or basically portray them in a bad light. It's reviving the "militia panic" of the 80s and 90s of armed domestic insurgents enforcing their Trumpian will on the helpless population. The next Civil War!

As for England they're raging against .22 rimfire "high-powered telescopic rifles" after the Cumbria massacre. Because mass shooters just use what's popular. Gotta love those semantics, the dangers of high powered optics!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/a-cumbrian-horror-story-1990074.html

Have any of you ever seen gun commercials on national TV? Not counting cable TV, just the national free channels. Growing up in Chicago I can't say that I remember ever seeing any commercials for firearms, but that might have been different around the country.

I haven't seen any advertising for firearms, even the Fudd stuff. The NFL refused to air Daniel Defense's ad a while back during the Superbowl.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544458/NFL-comes-fire-banning-Superbowl-gun-commercial-features-silhouette-AR15-assault-rifle.html

I agree with simply "owning it".

I tried to convey this stance here in the past, but it was not well received at the time.

There was a "spirited" conversation when I stated the origins of the AR-15 (first the AR-10), how it was originally used in combat (before it was renamed the M-16), how the Air Force used them until the 90's, and how fully automatic versions of AR-15's were available to the public (along side the semi auto Sportster model) up until 1986. Current AR's are missing the "fun switch", but pretty much everything is post-86 anyway.

I say "own it" because 2A.

Besides, because of all the recent advancements, there is a much better argument now (to own them) then 15 years ago.

The big one is "common usage". Everyone and their mom has one. It is the modern day musket. Nuff said...

But beyond that, with all the kinks worked out over the last 60 years, and the improvements in ammo....today's AR's are a far cry from the "strange, plastic, big black rifle that jammed a lot, shot a tiny bullet, and was defeated in a war" of the 60's. As a complete "package", I don't think there is an equal in terms of compactness, ammo capacity, accuracy, ergonomics, and muzzle energy, as my .300 Pistol which is my go-to HD gun.

I have cable and I cannot recall ever seeing an ad for a firearm on any channel, ever. But I admit I have never watched the Sportsman channel, whatever that is.

I use Dish satellite service and it has had two channels for a long time - "Pursuit" and "Outdoor Channel". They have had "Sportsman's channel" occasionally for a "free week", trying to get us to "upgrade" our su=ervice. They recently added "WFN" that seems to be mostly fishing. The other two frequently have commercials from Keltec, Sig-Sauer, Henry, etc. They also have 30 minute "infomercials" about Bond Arms derringers. Then they have the shooting shows like "Gunny Time" with R. Lee Ermy (now deceased), The Best Defense, Hollywood Weapons, Shooting USA with Jim Scoutten, and hunting shows like Ted Nugent: Spirit of the Wild, Mossy Oak Country Roots, Gun Dog TV, North American Whitetail, Realtree Outdoors, and more. There is a lot of variety there from fishing to archery to gun hunts.

Archived