Photo

The monitary cost of an Illinois CCL

Cost training

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 Retsof

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

I am on day 29 of waiting for my license. However, I have been working on this for over a year. The cost for an Illinois CCL is considerable. I thought it would be interesting to compare total costs.

Carry Pistol – Taurus Model 85 - $409 including taxes and transfers costs. 

Concealed Carry Holster – two versions of Alabama, $107

Direct costs:

Illinois Concealed Carry Training / NRA Personal Protection in the Home - $350

Ammunition for training - $86

Gas to get to training location - $50

Hotel at training location - $342

ISP Application Charge - $150

Live Scan Finger Prints - $55 ($5 discount for paying cash :flowers:)

Cost to exercise 2nd Amendment Right - $1,033 not including pistol and holster

#2 DoverGunner

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

I am on day 29 of waiting for my license. However, I have been working on this for over a year. The cost for an Illinois CCL is considerable. I thought it would be interesting to compare total costs.

Carry Pistol – Taurus Model 85 - $409 including taxes and transfers costs. 

Concealed Carry Holster – two versions of Alabama, $107 

Direct costs:

Illinois Concealed Carry Training / NRA Personal Protection in the Home - $350 You chose the PPIH class -$175

Ammunition for training - $86 Seems a Tad high to me

Gas to get to training location - $50  Could you not find a class closer to Home ???

Hotel at training location - $342 Again could you not find a class closer to Home ???

ISP Application Charge - $150

Live Scan Finger Prints - $55 ($5 discount for paying cash :flowers:) Another Option you choose -$55

Cost to exercise 2nd Amendment Right - $1,033 not including pistol and holster

As I typed seems way out of line to me and I think you could have gotten it for less than $400

Edited by DoverGunner, 18 August 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#3 top_notch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

$200 for class/range

$150 for application

$500 for new Glock 26

$150 for holster, extra magazine, ammo, misc.

===================================

$1000, but it can be done cheaper!

(But it did give me an excuse to get a 26!)

#4 Retsof

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

I wanted to stay away from the Chicago area for the training - due to the news about trainers being DQ'd. I'm also retired military and could have done an 8 hour box checking exercise, but I wanted some good training. I actually shot my Browning HP for the training, and shot a total of 300 rounds.

#5 gangrel

• Members
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

$200 for class/range

$150 for application

$500 for new Glock 26

$150 for holster, extra magazine, ammo, misc.

===================================

$1000, but it can be done cheaper!

(But it did give me an excuse to get a 26!)

Unless and until you can show us which states give you a pistol to carry when you are given your license, you should not include the cost of your firearm in the costs to get your license.

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

#6 paulgl26

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

I payed 175 (only needed 12 hours) Fingerprints 40 Isp 150 Total 365 Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Illinoiscarry,Isra and Nra member

#7 lockman

• Members
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

Training $60 (cost of fingerprinting for instructor)
Application $150
Existing gun and holster long paid for.

You certainly can get by cheaper, but preparation years in advance of carry in Illinois certainly helped.

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

#8 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Yep, factoring in all the time and money spent makes this a "right" that looks suspiciously like a "privilege" to me. At least for the average Joe with no connections in this world.

I'm up over $1000 as well with the M&P shield I bought as a more concealable option. Just for essentials like the training($250), state fees/Livescan($210) and the range fee/ammo for the shooting part of the test ($40) I was halfway there already.

If you had a real job and worked paycheck to paycheck forget it. Its unattainable for lots of folks. That's assuming you're not practicing or having to buy a gun/holster as well or its even more money on top of that.

Congrats though, hope you get your license soon.

Edited by mic6010, 18 August 2014 - 07:24 PM.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#9 gangrel

• Members
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

Yep, factoring in all the time and money spent makes this a "right" that looks suspiciously like a "privilege" to me. At least for the average Joe with no connections in this world.

I'm up over $1000 as well with the M&P shield I bought as a more concealable option. Just for essentials like the training($250), state fees/Livescan($210) and the range fee/ammo for the shooting part of the test ($40) I was halfway there already.

If you had a real job and worked paycheck to paycheck forget it. Its unattainable for lots of folks. That's assuming you're not practicing or having to buy a gun/holster as well or its even more money on top of that.

I'm sorry, perhaps I am misunderstanding.  Which state exactly would have bought you a "more concealable option" again?

Training costs, license fees, fingerprinting I get.  If you're going to start rolling the cost of your sidearm into how unfair this state is with CCW, please tell me what state provides this to you at no cost.

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety

Utah CCW Instructor

#10 Retsof

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

I'm sorry, perhaps I am misunderstanding.  Which state exactly would have bought you a "more concealable option" again?

Training costs, license fees, fingerprinting I get.  If you're going to start rolling the cost of your sidearm into how unfair this state is with CCW, please tell me what state provides this to you at no cost.

You are right of course. But it is worth discussing because many people in Illinois may not have considered a small pistol until now. Anyway, it should not be part of the cost of the license.

#11 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Well you could already own the gun or many guns you're gonna carry, that wasn't really my point.

My point is that its not cheap at all with the mandated double training and double ID fee. If they cut the training in half and made the ID fee $50 like what other normal states do that saves you $225 dollars right there. Bottom line is some people are and will be priced out of getting their CCL and thats not right if this is supposed to be a "right".

I had this same conversation with a friend not that long ago and even though hes super second amendment hes not in the position to take the time and money out of his life right now to do it. When you work minimum wage job 6 days a week 2 day classes are a vacation and $200 is a big deal.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#12 gangrel

• Members
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Well you could already own the gun or many guns you're gonna carry, that wasn't really my point.

My point is that its not cheap at all with the mandated double training and double ID fee. If they cut the training in half and made the ID fee $50 like what other normal states do that saves you $225 dollars right there. Bottom line is some people are and will be priced out of getting their CCL and thats not right if this is supposed to be a "right".

I had this same conversation with a friend not that long ago and even though hes super second amendment hes not in the position to take the time and money out of his life right now to do it. When you work minimum wage job 6 days a week 2 day classes are a vacation and $200 is a big deal.

As I said, complain away about the training, the fingerprinting, the fees.  Those are all legitimate gripes.  But when you add the cost of buying a concealable firearm and holster, you lose credibility.  No state gives you those, and 2A guarantees your right to carry (IMHO), NOT your right to HAVE a firearm TO carry.  It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to obtain that, no matter what state you live in.

NRA Life Member

Utah CCW Instructor

#13 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

As I said, complain away about the training, the fingerprinting, the fees.  Those are all legitimate gripes.  But when you add the cost of buying a concealable firearm and holster, you lose credibility.  No state gives you those, and 2A guarantees your right to carry (IMHO), NOT your right to HAVE a firearm TO carry.  It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to obtain that, no matter what state you live in.

------------

Ya I agree with that. I'm still gonna b**** about it because it makes me feel better lol but you're right its not the states fault.

Edited by mic6010, 18 August 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#14 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

Holy crap ! I travel a lot and I've never spent more that $100 a night at a hotel anywhere, I know they exist, but I don't need a friggin mint on my pillow. Live scan was $53 class was $150 total for both halves my permit was the same as everyone else. I think gas to training cost me a whoppin $20. So my total was what $373 and some change ammo cost me .23 cents a rd x 30 rds which still puts me way under $400 sure that is still a huge ammount compared to the $26 it cost me to get a PA license but if you spent over a grand to get your permit that is your problem not the states Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

" Never argue with an idiot, passers by won't be able to tell you apart "- Grandpa

#15 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Suitable gun, holster, and ammo for carry $600. Training $280 License/Convenience Fee $153 Fingerprints $55 Staying up all night in early January and forcing the State of Illinois to accept and process my application for a CCL- PRICELESS.

#16 Marie

Lizzie's Bennet's alter ego

• Members
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

I took Basic Pistol up in WI in 2012 for $70, so I only needed the 2nd 8 hours.

2nd 8 hours - $150

Probably $45 in ammo (practice and qualification - I was shooting a .380)

$153 application

$60 prints

Great Lakes: Unsalted and Shark Free!

#17 Googe1227

• Members
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

Holy crap ! I travel a lot and I've never spent more that $100 a night at a hotel anywhere, I know they exist, but I don't need a friggin mint on my pillow. Live scan was $53 class was $150 total for both halves my permit was the same as everyone else. I think gas to training cost me a whoppin $20. So my total was what $373 and some change ammo cost me .23 cents a rd x 30 rds which still puts me way under $400 sure that is still a huge ammount compared to the $26 it cost me to get a PA license but if you spent over a grand to get your permit that is your problem not the states

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

$400 is a lot of money to a lot of folks out there. Low income. Retirees on fixed income. Middle class. Still way too expensive as all of us on IC believe.

NOBODY should have to shell out that kind of dough for an inalienable right that is guaranteed by the BOR.
"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." - James Madison
NRA, ISRA, GOA, SAF

#18 kk5

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Guess I did well then,

$110 for 2nd 8 hours

$153 for application, no prints.

Ammo not included because it was purchased about 15 years ago

Surrender, Like HE Double Hockey Sticks

#19 singlecoilpickup

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

You are right of course. But it is worth discussing because many people in Illinois may not have considered a small pistol until now. Anyway, it should not be part of the cost of the license.

Then don't carry a small pistol? A full-size 1911 conceals fine with a decent holster. 

#20 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

Holy crap ! I travel a lot and I've never spent more that $100 a night at a hotel anywhere, I know they exist, but I don't need a friggin mint on my pillow. Live scan was $53 class was $150 total for both halves my permit was the same as everyone else. I think gas to training cost me a whoppin $20. So my total was what $373 and some change ammo cost me .23 cents a rd x 30 rds which still puts me way under $400 sure that is still a huge ammount compared to the $26 it cost me to get a PA license but if you spent over a grand to get your permit that is your problem not the states
Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk$400 is a lot of money to a lot of folks out there. Low income. Retirees on fixed income. Middle class. Still way too expensive as all of us on IC believe.
NOBODY should have to shell out that kind of dough for an inalienable right that is guaranteed by the BOR.

Oh I absolutely agree, untill recently when my wife went back to work full time we lived check to check for awhile. Things are still tight from time to time I have a daughter that gets a weekly injection that is $500 a dose ( Thank God for insurance ) and at one point we took in my sisters 4 kids for several months with only my income so needless to say I knew where every penny came from in order to exorcise my right. That being said you missed the point of my post. Somebody that spent over a grand to ( excluding cost of firearm ) either sucks at math or has more money than brains and bas no business bit**ing about the cost if this offends anybody so be it. There is a reason I had to wait till June to apply.

"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

" Never argue with an idiot, passers by won't be able to tell you apart "- Grandpa

#21 kk5

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk$400 is a lot of money to a lot of folks out there. Low income. Retirees on fixed income. Middle class. Still way too expensive as all of us on IC believe.

Oh I absolutely agree, untill recently when my wife went back to work full time we lived check to check for awhile. Things are still tight from time to time I have a daughter that gets a weekly injection that is $500 a dose ( Thank God for insurance ) and at one point we took in my sisters 4 kids for several months with only my income so needless to say I knew where every penny came from in order to exorcise my right. That being said you missed the point of my post. Somebody that spent over a grand to ( excluding cost of firearm ) either sucks at math or has more money than brains and bas no business bit**ing about the cost if this offends anybody so be it. There is a reason I had to wait till June to apply.

I have to agree with you because we live on a limited budget also. I saved my Birthday and Christmas money and applied in May.

Surrender, Like HE Double Hockey Sticks

#22 WtJen

• Members
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

$250 for sixteen hours training
$150 permit application
$55 finger prints

$455
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.--Ayn Rand

#23 Weed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

$125 for the second 8, used my DD214 for the first 8

$150 license

$50 prints

$15 picture, I don't remember the exact cost but that's close

5 gallon of gas, I can't really count that because there were at least 3 classes less than 10 miles from home

I already had the firearm and holster and used my reloads

#24 Retsof

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

Holy crap ! I travel a lot and I've never spent more that $100 a night at a hotel anywhere, I know they exist, but I don't need a friggin mint on my pillow. Live scan was $53 class was $150 total for both halves my permit was the same as everyone else. I think gas to training cost me a whoppin $20. So my total was what $373 and some change ammo cost me .23 cents a rd x 30 rds which still puts me way under $400 sure that is still a huge ammount compared to the $26 it cost me to get a PA license but if you spent over a grand to get your permit that is your problem not the states Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

It was just about $100 - three nights. Class started early and ended late and was about three hours from home. I could not find a local class that was anything more than a check the box exercise. So sham on me, I opted to take the high road and seek out more than the 17.5 hour of death by Power Point and 30 minutes of shooting.

I think there is another topic for people worried about the CCL being revoked because their instructor was DQ'd.... just saying, you get what you pay for.

#25 gangrel

• Members
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:40 AM

It was just about $100 - three nights. Class started early and ended late and was about three hours from home. I could not find a local class that was anything more than a check the box exercise. So sham on me, I opted to take the high road and seek out more than the 17.5 hour of death by Power Point and 30 minutes of shooting.

I think there is another topic for people worried about the CCL being revoked because their instructor was DQ'd.... just saying, you get what you pay for.

You said you decided to stay away from classes in the Chicago area due to fear about instructors getting DQed.  That's more of a shame on you.  There are plenty of instructors in the Chicago area that are teaching more than a "check the box exercise", and shockingly, most of us haven't had our instructor creds revoked.  Go figure.

You DECIDED to travel 3 hours to take a class, spend 3 nights (!) in a hotel, take a course that went WAY above and beyond the state requirements, did not take advantage of the training credit offered based on your past experience...

If you want to wear all that of a badge of honor, fine.  I am good with that.  If you are going to use that as a reason to complain about the cost of getting a license in this state, you are WAY out of line.

NRA Life Member

Utah CCW Instructor

#26 Googe1227

• Members
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

I got your point Uncle Harley. I just chose to complain about the high cost based on your $400 figure. Because that's more in line with what I think most people ended up paying for their FCCL.
"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." - James Madison
NRA, ISRA, GOA, SAF

#27 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

I actually created a spreadsheet and visited each state's website to obtain information concerning concealed carry costs. If I recall correctly the national average for concealed carry permit is 9 hours of training which includes hunters safety or DD 214 and the average fee for 5 years is $75. Illinois is the second most expensive in the country behind Colorado at $152.50 and we have the highest mandatory training requirements at 16 hours in the nation.

All of this I'm certain was a calculated effort to make the process as difficult and onerous as possible but still able to just barely squeak by a effective lawsuit challenge by our side.
You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#28 Stevepk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

$150 for 16 hour class plus the app fee.  Guns, holster etc do not play into the cost IMHO.

MSGT - USAF Retired - Command & Control Tech. (Command Post)

It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.
Ronald Reagan

#29 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

Life ain't free

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
ISP Approved Concealed Carry Instructor

#30 Retsof

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

Not really complaining. I know I went above and beyond. And I still feel that I need additional training with a pistol and will attend more classes.

Concerning Chicago - I don't go there unless I am required to for business. Sorry, just my view - I will not spend any money in Cook or the surrounding counties. Rahm and the boys get enough of my money already. I try to stay south of I-80.

So yes, I did make some choices that ended up costing more than the bare minimum. But, I am curious how much other people are paying and that was the point of the post. 

Oh... and maintaining proficiency is another cost. I shoot, on average, twice a month several hundred rounds depending on the gun. However, I don't have a local range that allows drawing and shooting a holstered weapon. So, I'll need to find one or at least somebody that has a decent piece of property in the country.