Virus and gun sales

Windermere

Been waiting for my background check to clear since Monday. Still says pending. Anyone have any idea about how long it takes now with everything going on?

I know of a woman who bought her first gun on Thursday. The clerk said it would be 10 days before she could pick it up. With the stay at home EO... it could be longer? I'm pretty sure no one knows for sure and all answers are guesses. Mine is a guess.

Have patience when there is nothing else you can do.

Been waiting for my background check to clear since Monday. Still says pending. Anyone have any idea about how long it takes now with everything going on?

I know of a woman who bought her first gun on Thursday. The clerk said it would be 10 days before she could pick it up. With the stay at home EO... it could be longer? I'm pretty sure no one knows for sure and all answers are guesses. Mine is a guess.

Have patience when there is nothing else you can do.

Thank you for your response!

I know from personal sources that MANY previously anti-gun people are trying and being prevented from buying firearms in this state. They are then terrified and enraged to discover that the very legislation they supported and elected politicians to put in place is what is stopping them from obtaining what they now understand they need and should have.

A source of mine in politics related that an anti-firearm legislator they know was prevented from buying a handgun because they didn't have a FOID card, and declared that it was "insane" that a member of the government didn't have the "right" to buy what they wanted and needed to protect themselves and family, so they could focus on doing their job. No, I don't know who it was who said that, because I need to protect my source, but I'm so happy to hear that an anti-firearm politician is suffering because of what they have done.
It is amazingly satisfying when people reap what they sow, and it turns out that will reap the whirlwind because of their willfully stupid malfeasance.

I would encourage people to try that top secret gun show loophole !

If any of the stores I frequent try to price gouge me they will not get my business when this is all over

Tried to make it clear that it was a consignment piece. The 3rd party seller picks the price and evidently he raised it.

Capitalism is all about supply/demand And bids/offers.

Donât be hating.

Raising prices in the face of increasing demand is a sound practice. If you ran a business, you would be an idiot if you did not follow the practice. A good buyer is patient and ready to buy when the market (or an individual seller) offers something at a compelling (to the buyer) price. Last minute buyers pay a premium for waiting. Or being in prepared. Call it a âstupid taxâ.

They take it in the butt when demand falls and none of us whine about that. Youâre not doing them any favors when you score that Glock 19 for $375.

Sack up or move to a workers paradise. And remember- high prices cure high prices...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These can't really be "first time buyers/newbies" of ammo/weapons. They still need a FOID for the purchase and that means they had to apply for that at least 30 - 60 days ago, Pre-COVID.

I personally know at least a dozen current FOID holders who have never gotten around to buying a gun and are now or soon to be "newbies". I expect there are many of them. There are also those who are just clueless...

I even have a former FOID holding Cheese Curd buddy who wanted to know how to buy a gun up north.

A Cheese Curd is a newly located Cheese Head.

These can't really be "first time buyers/newbies" of ammo/weapons. They still need a FOID for the purchase and that means they had to apply for that at least 30 - 60 days ago, Pre-COVID.

Not all of them did. There are plenty of non-FOID holders who want guns ASAP. It's happening in other states, too.

A FOID-like possession license is not common (I recall there are only 3 states that require possession licenses, including Illinois), but several states have purchase licenses, i.e., people have to apply to the state to purchase a firearm, then get the license (valid for 30 to 90 days, assuming they're approved), then take it to the gun shop to get a gun. In most states like that, the purchase license is good for any gun for as long as the license is valid. In NJ, people have to specify which gun they want on the license application, and the license is good only for that particular gun. If that particular gun is out of stock after all the waiting, start over.

Draconian open market restrictions just guarantee the existence of a covert market. I'm sure black market dealers are currently ecstatic to unload a bunch of their previously low-demand stock.

I know from personal sources that MANY previously anti-gun people are trying and being prevented from buying firearms in this state. They are then terrified and enraged to discover that the very legislation they supported and elected politicians to put in place is what is stopping them from obtaining what they now understand they need and should have.

A source of mine in politics related that an anti-firearm legislator they know was prevented from buying a handgun because they didn't have a FOID card, and declared that it was "insane" that a member of the government didn't have the "right" to buy what they wanted and needed to protect themselves and family, so they could focus on doing their job. No, I don't know who it was who said that, because I need to protect my source, but I'm so happy to hear that an anti-firearm politician is suffering because of what they have done.
It is amazingly satisfying when people reap what they sow, and it turns out that will reap the whirlwind because of their willfully stupid malfeasance.

I would encourage people to try that top secret gun show loophole !

Yep, and when they are rudely awakened to the fact that it doesn't work that way, they will be outraged that they can't protect themselves the way they deserve to.

"I thought it was easy to get a gun, like easier than checking out a library book!"

Just because people think or want something to be the way it is, to benefit them, doesn't mean it will be that way.

Welcome to reality, idiots.

Not all of them did. There are plenty of non-FOID holders who want guns ASAP. It's happening in other states, too.

A FOID-like possession license is not common (I recall there are only 3 states that require possession licenses, including Illinois), but several states have purchase licenses, i.e., people have to apply to the state to purchase a firearm, then get the license (valid for 30 to 90 days, assuming they're approved), then take it to the gun shop to get a gun. In most states like that, the purchase license is good for any gun for as long as the license is valid. In NJ, people have to specify which gun they want on the license application, and the license is good only for that particular gun. If that particular gun is out of stock after all the waiting, start over.

Draconian open market restrictions just guarantee the existence of a covert market. I'm sure black market dealers are currently ecstatic to unload a bunch of their previously low-demand stock.

I've literally had more than a score of people contact me, asking, "Hey, you have contacts that can get stuff 'off the books', right? Can you get me a [insert thing that they wanted banned a month ago]? I will pay you [insert exorbitant amount that they think will be enough to buy someone breaking the law on their unworthy behalf]?"

When people do that kind of thing, I actually hope that something truly bad happens to them that disrupts their lives forever and ruins their ability to be content and happy, because they deserve nothing but bad things happening to them for that kind of hypocrisy.

Note, I don't want them to die or get killed. Absolutely not. For two reasons:

One, so they can be faced with the consequences of their wrong-headed stupidity for the rest of their lives, and suffer until the end of their days as a direct result of it.

Two, so that maybe, just maybe, their misery will cause them to have an epiphany that what they previously thought was so incorrect that they are shamed into actually stopping doing it, and working to stop others from doing it.

But, unfortunately, that second one is just wishful thinking on my part—so I will be content if just the first one happens, because it couldn't happen to anyone who deserves it more.

I've literally had more than a score of people contact me, asking, "Hey, you have contacts that can get stuff 'off the books', right? Can you get me a [insert thing that they wanted banned a month ago]? I will pay you [insert exorbitant amount that they think will be enough to buy someone breaking the law on their unworthy behalf]?"

When people do that kind of thing, I actually hope that something truly bad happens to them that disrupts their lives forever and ruins their ability to be content and happy, because they deserve nothing but bad things happening to them for that kind of hypocrisy.

One, so they can be faced with the consequences of their wrong-headed stupidity for the rest of their lives, and suffer until the end of their days as a direct result of it.

Two, so that maybe, just maybe, their misery will cause them to have an epiphany that what they previously thought was so incorrect that they are shamed into actually stopping doing it, and working to stop others from doing it.

But, unfortunately, that second one is just wishful thinking on my part—so I will be content if just the first one happens, because it couldn't happen to anyone who deserves it more.

So your like Red from Shawshank redemption, I’ve heard your a man who can get things!

So your like Red from Shawshank redemption, I’ve heard your a man who can get things!

Say I was, it definitely wouldn't be for people who just a month ago were spewing in public that the very thing they want me to get for them should be banned for everyone, especially me.

Quite a few have had FOIDs for rentals or because a friend told them to get one but never got around to/were too intimidated by actually buying. This is the push they needed I guess.

Slightly off topic, but..... My son lives in NC. He called me yesterday, and proudly claimed that he bought his first AR. He told me the whole process took about 20 minutes. Picked out the 1 he wanted, test fired it at their range, background check in about 5 minutes, and then out the door. He sent me video of he and his buddy zeroing the rifle. What a difference a State makes. Can’t be happier to be out of Illinois at mid May.

I wonder how many Newbs panic bought Frangible ammo?

Those purchasing out the back of a van maybe!

Those who are going into a local LGS to make purchases will get better advice than that!

Any reputable shop will assist those who show the NeWb signs, why? Cause these are the new customers whom will be making possible more purchases in the future!

But then just like back when we all were NeWbs, they will make a mistake or two just like me and just like you.

Some of us should be hanging out at the local LGS’s to talk and meet some of these NEWbs, just might be a neighbor of a neighbor!

Maybe people are/were seeing this coming..https://abc7chicago.com/health/blue-island-pd-temporarily-shut-down-after-employee-tests-positive-for-covid-19-mayor/6039484/

Sure Cook Co. and ISP are covering for now but..

Geez this fact is worth its weight in gold for a thread on its own subject matter. Something to be used in Springfield in any legislative session or in any 2nd amendment lawsuit.

Used against any representative thats said the Police will be there to protect you. Theres no need for anyone else to have a firearm.

Wonder if you call 911 in blue island will you get a recorded message saying you need to hang up and call State police or Cook County number or will call forwarding kick in and transfer you to a dispatch operator automatically ?

Steve think a FOID on what the manning numbers for the ISP or Cook County Police were set at during the time of the shut down for the Coverage the Blue island area and the proximity of officers on duty were? There is a small ISP station in crestwood Illinois . Not sure if thats the closest ISP station.

Archived