Photo

Prohibited Carry Zones - 23 Categories

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#121 kwc

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

How bout a martial arts school? It is not posted but is it considered a school and therefore prohibited?

I would think that a martial arts school would be treated as a business and it would be up to the owner of the business

Is it under the control of a "public or private elementary or secondary school"? If not, it doesn't fall within the definition of a school and posting is not required.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#122 Sigelitedark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Any one have any thoughts on lake front carry?

Unfortunately I agree with your assumption. The entire lake front is a park and therefore is a prohibited place. Pretty ridiculous to me given the number of stories you hear every year regarding people getting attacked along the lake front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Tis the season especially at the lakefront--is Taste of Chicago flash mob still coming up?

#123 djmarkla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

I am surrounded by Cook county forest preserve property. I know I can not carry there but the bicycle path part is not clear. Are cook county forest preserve bicycle paths a no go ? When I read the list of prohibited places it sounds to me like any cook county FP property including bicycle paths is off limits.

#124 wishbone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

"Unfortunately I agree with your assumption. The entire lake front is a park and therefore is a prohibited place. Pretty ridiculous to me given the number of stories you hear every year regarding people getting attacked along the lake front."

You can carry on the lakefront bike path because it is part of a system that extends north and south beyond the boundaries of a single lakefront park. Also without reopening the the public right of way debate it is pretty clear (to me at least) that the lakefront is crisscrossed with public right of ways that you can legally travel along while carrying. Entry into any building is prohibited of course. Porta potties are interesting because most are privately owned, and only rented to the park district, and therefore should not be prohibited unless individually posted by the private owner.

#125 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• 5,272 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• bmap2.gif

Have all boated who fish?

#126 cola490

• 1,184 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Marching in 4th of July parade, sponsored by the village, starts in a private parking lot and ends on a public street.
Carry or not?

#127 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,332 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

Is a permit issued from a government body for the parade?

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#128 snubjob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

Molly, could you give some insight as to whether posting is required at a county fair?  They sell alcohol in designated areas. Their permit is issued annually from the county board. I'm curious to know if the grounds should be posted.

I would assume, by reading the act, that their permit is classified as a "Special Event Retailer's" license, or " Special Use Permit", thus requiring the property to be posted.

Edited by snubjob, 03 July 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#129 cola490

• 1,184 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

Is a permit issued from a government body for the parade?

I'm not sure about the permit, but there are village employees running things

#130 Indigo

Just another silver-haired devil

• Members
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Molly, could you give some insight as to whether posting is required at a county fair?  They sell alcohol in designated areas. Their permit is issued annually from the county board. I'm curious to know if the grounds should be posted.

I would assume, by reading the act, that their permit is classified as a "Special Event Retailer's" license, or " Special Use Permit", thus requiring the property to be posted.

I'm not Molly, but I'll give you my opinion anyway...the prime determinant of whether or not it is a GFZ is ownership.  If the county fair is held at the county-owned fairgrounds (as in most states and counties), then it falls under the "under the control of local government" provisions, and the question of special use or special event permits does not apply.  If the location of the county fair is not governmentally owned, then you have to consider the permits.  

• They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it’s not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance

#131 junglebob

• 6,115 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

I'm not Molly, but I'll give you my opinion anyway...the prime determinant of whether or not it is a GFZ is ownership.  If the county fair is held at the county-owned fairgrounds (as in most states and counties), then it falls under the "under the control of local government" provisions, and the question of special use or special event permits does not apply.  If the location of the county fair is not governmentally owned, then you have to consider the permits.  

I know this makes no difference to county fairs in Illinois, but my wife and I attended the Rock County Wisconsin fair last year and it was posted.

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#132 snubjob

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

The property is privately owned by the ******** County Fair and Livestock Association. It's not owned by, or associated with the county in any way.

#133 snubjob

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I was a member of the county board several years ago when the fair board decided to start selling alcohol and applied for the license.    And I'm almost positive that the license has to be re-applied for each year.

It makes me think that, according to the act, that they would need to post. The fair is in it's third day of a six day schedule, and so far nothing is posted. Not even the areas where alcohol is served. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stir the pot for them, but I'm wondering if the fair board has been mis-informed.

#134 Glock23

I am no one.

• 4,480 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

I was a member of the county board several years ago when the fair board decided to start selling alcohol and applied for the license.    And I'm almost positive that the license has to be re-applied for each year.
     It makes me think that, according to the act, that they would need to post. The fair is in it's third day of a six day schedule, and so far nothing is posted. Not even the areas where alcohol is served. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stir the pot for them, but I'm wondering if the fair board has been mis-informed.

If less than 50% of their revenue is from alcohol, there's no requirement to post.
** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member
** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender
** Gun Owners of America - Annual Member
** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year American Hero Member
** Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#135 snubjob

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Glock 23, Thanks for the info.  Hadn't thought of it from that angle.

#136 rmart

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:34 AM

I was at Blackwell Forest Preserve (DuPage County) yesterday and noticed they had posted the statute governing the rules at the forest preserves in DuPage. The statute specifically forbade the carrying of any weapons including specifically firearms. Is that an old statute that's pre-empted by the carry law that says that laws governing firearms are now the sole propriety of the state? Would posting that statute count as 'posting' despite the fact that it's not the official sign? I did see the official sign on the gatehouse to the campground area. Did not see it on any of the doors to the restrooms.

NRA Endowment Life Member

ISRA Member

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Father of two great kids and husband of one great wife

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars... ~unknown

The problem is not guns! It's hearts without God, homes without discipline, schools without prayer, and courts without justice. ~unknown

"A general dissolution of the principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy.

While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but once they lose their virtue, they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." ~ Samuel Adams 1779 to James Warren

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster

How much can you put in your signature before it becomes too long??

#137 lockman

• Members
  • 8,057 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

The rules they post are just fine. But the provisions prohibiting handguns do not apply to licensees unless they post the official signage and only to the extent allowed under state law.

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

#138 wishbone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

... Is that an old statute that's pre-empted by the carry law that says that laws governing firearms are now the sole propriety of the state? ...

The outdoor areas of forest preserves (other than Cook County) are not prohibited areas. Period. So the answer to your question is yes. Only private entities can create GFZ's by posting places that are not on the list of prohibited areas.

Edited by wishbone, 29 July 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#139 Blade13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

... Is that an old statute that's pre-empted by the carry law that says that laws governing firearms are now the sole propriety of the state? ...

The outdoor areas of forest preserves (other than Cook County) are not prohibited areas. Period. So the answer to your question is yes. Only private entities can create GFZ's by posting places that are not on the list of prohibited areas.

"All firearms, including concealed firearms, are also prohibited on all IDNR State Refuge areas, IDNR Dedicated Nature Preserves,..."

http://dnr.state.il....ledCarryQnA.pdf

NRA Patriot Life Member
ISRA Life Member

GSL

#140 OldMarineVet

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

I'm going to a private picnic (permit was obtained) in a forest preserve near River Road and Devon (Cook County.) Section 65, "Prohibited Areas," is especially vague about this. Posts in this thread make me think it would be illegal to carry at this picnic. Is that the current thinking? Thank you

#141 Redlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

I'm going to a private picnic (permit was obtained) in a forest preserve near River Road and Devon (Cook County.) Section 65, "Prohibited Areas," is especially vague about this. Posts in this thread make me think it would be illegal to carry at this picnic. Is that the current thinking? Thank you

All Cook Co. forest preserves are GFZs.

Edited by Redlin, 10 September 2014 - 01:21 PM.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

#142 OldMarineVet

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

All Cook Co. forest preserves are GFZs.

Thank you for confirming, Redlin

#143 Sunhaven1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct area for the post. Next. Tuesday I have to travel the Rock Island Arsenal after that I go straight to Detriot. I have been told that the Arsenal is off limits to guns, does any one know what the law is? I hate to travel 3 hours to Rock Island then 6 hours to Detriot unarmed

Thanks

#144 Indigo

Just another silver-haired devil

• Members
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct area for the post. Next. Tuesday I have to travel the Rock Island Arsenal after that I go straight to Detriot. I have been told that the Arsenal is off limits to guns, does any one know what the law is? I hate to travel 3 hours to Rock Island then 6 hours to Detriot unarmed

Thanks

Rock Island Arsenal is definitely a Federal GFZ, and as a military installation is governed by their own rules, not Illinois law.  There are also a number of local gun shops in the area.  Maybe you could give one of them a call and see if you could "park" your firearm with them while you are on the military installation?  Maybe have it "checked by the gunsmith" while you are at the Arsenal?

• They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it’s not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance

#145 Sunhaven1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

Thanks

That's a great idea

#146 BobPistol

• Members
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

Here is the Oxford Dictionary definition of "right of way":

"Definition of right of way in English:
right of way Syllabification: right of way
NOUN
  • 1The legal right, established by usage or grant, to pass along a specific route through grounds or property belonging to another."
I like the idea of using the common plain English definition of right of way that gives us the maximum freedom the legislature gave to us to carry legally . Northwestern University allows the public to walk across their campus. Right of way = legal carry. The Oakbrook Mall allows the public the right of way to walk outdoors through their mall, and that equals legal carry. Section 65 c allows you to walk on any right of way that "touches or crosses" a prohibited area. It is one of the most powerful tools we have for free movement while carrying.  Let's not talk ourselves out of that freedom.

Why use that definition?  

For definition of "public right of way"  -->  What does Federal Law say?   Or a Federal regulation?   Or a Federal Court/SCOTUS ruling?   I wonder what the Americans with Disabilities Act say or the regulations for it say....

If any of those support your definition, then you've got something.

Anything else, and state law rules the roost.

Edited by BobPistol, 19 September 2014 - 06:04 PM.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#147 mikec

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

So if I'm at aCook County Forest Preserve I can leave my gun in the car just not out on the dangerous paths in the Forest Preserve, is that correct?

Edited by mikec, 21 September 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#148 djmarkla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

So if I'm at aCook County Forest Preserve I can leave my gun in the car just not out on the dangerous paths in the Forest Preserve, is that correct?

In my humble opinion if you live in Cook county two of the places you should be protected (public transportation & Cook county forest preserves) you are required to disarm. Unless you are one of the "ruling class" politicians, then your body guards can watch over you with their firearms. 

#149 BIGDEESUL

• Members
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:09 AM

Yes mikec, you can store your firearm in your vehicle while in the forest preserve. The safe harbor provision for parking lots still applies.

Supporting member
NRA Endowment Member

IALEFI Member/Instructor
Certified Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
NRA certified Pistol Instructor
NRA certified Personal Protection Inside The Home Instructor

NRA certified Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor
NRA certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA certified Home Firearm Safety Instructor

#150 njr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

What about conservation zones in forest preserves outside of cook county? Saw a sign that said no firearms but assume it means without ccw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users