How many grains do the experts recommend for bullets in your carry gun?

Grain weight can have an effect on real and perceived recoil.

Changes to the actual amount of recoil can affect the proper functioning of a semiauto handgun.
I once saw a maximum grain weight spec for a 9mm pocket pistol, if I recall correctly.

Changes to the actual amount of recoil can affect point of aim on a snub-nose revolver.
I had a snub-nose .357 that was spot on with 158 gr, but with 125 gr, I was off target and low.

If I raised the rear sight unnaturally high, I could get back on target with that 125 gr ammo,
but I quit using it.

Practice with ammo that has same the grain weight and muzzle energy that you are carrying.

I'm thinking grain weight in a hollow point matters a whole lot less than being able to have the bullets strike somewhere near where intended. I also am having a hard time imagining a scenario in which a 115gr HP bounces off a bad guy but a follow-up hit with a 147 grainer is effective.

I do agree that different bullet weights can/will have different points of impact, but with practical self-defense distances from muzzle to target being the length of a rowboat, it probably won't change the outcome of a SD shooting very much.

On a related note and perhaps to answer your next "what do the experts think" post - and following up on the reality that what kind of bullet you carry or how many doesn't matter at all if you miss your target - I honestly don't think it matters much what caliber one carries if the diameter of the bullet is somewhere in the .350 - .450 diameter range when it hits the person whose actions you are trying to discourage.

I am well aware that ALL calibers have the potential to be lethal in a SD situation and conversely that NO handgun caliber has any 'knock-down' power. That is pretty much reserved for Parrott rifles and above. them boys has some knock-down power I garrontee.

I do agree that different bullet weights can/will have different points of impact, but with practical self-defense distances from muzzle to target being the length of a rowboat, it probably won't change the outcome of a SD shooting very much.

My experience with the snub-nose revolver was an eye-opener.

YMMV

Archived