Photo

Ezell v Chicago - New info

Ezell

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
148 replies to this topic

#91 KarlJ

• Members
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

Listening to a city of Chicago lawyer getting her backside handed to her is like a symphony.
I wonder what the Chicago tax payer is paying for this orchestra?
"Waiting periods are only a step.
Registration is only a step.
The prohibition of private firearms is the goal."

Janet Reno

U.S. Attorney General

1993-12-10

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the governments ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton

1993-08-12

#92 Frank

"Frank can Glock"

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

License to own? Assuming you meant carry because you don't have to "qualify" for FOID.

After the SCOTUS ruling in McDonald v. Chicago, the city enacted an ordinance the required handgun owners to take a five hour class, including live-fire at a range, in order to get a Handgun License in Chicago. Rhonda Ezell sued the city because it was illogical and irrational to REQUIRE range training in order possess a handgun in the city, but BAN RANGES in the city at the same time. 

IIRC that "license " was the reason Otis went all the way to SCOTUS before he could OWN a  handgun.

Before Mr. McDonald (rest his soul) won his case at the Supreme Court, everyone in Chicago was prevented from owning a handgun (legally) in Chicago unless you had a rare, grandfathered registered handgun. They stopped registering new handguns in the 1980s. 

NRA Life Member - NRA Basic Pistol Instructor - NRA PPIH Instructor - NRA PPOH Instructor - IL Firearms Concealed Carry Instructor - ITWT Club Member #438

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside." -Moore v. Madigan, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, December 11, 2012

#93 BadWaterBill

• Members
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

Now that Otis is in a better place not many will ever know about the WHY and the threats he endured in order to win that case.

Enjoy your rest Otis and I enjoyed our many hours of great memories spent on the bus rides to Springfield.

#94 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

Now that Otis is in a better place not many will ever know about the WHY and the threats he endured in order to win that case.

Enjoy your rest Otis and I enjoyed our many hours of great memories spent on the bus rides to Springfield.

What threats did he encounter? I wasn't aware of the background of his story.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#95 KarlJ

• Members
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:33 PM

What threats did he encounter? I wasn't aware of the background of his story.

He stood against the machine. I could only imagine the kind of threats he endured!
"Waiting periods are only a step.
Registration is only a step.
The prohibition of private firearms is the goal."

Janet Reno

U.S. Attorney General

1993-12-10

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the governments ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton

1993-08-12

#96 BadWaterBill

• Members
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

He never mentioned about the Chiraq machine but did tell me about some of the bangers in his neighborhood.

As long as they are the only ones with guns they can do anything they want to do and that has to stop.

To me Otis will always stand as tall and courageous as any John Wayne character.

#97 chislinger

• Members
  • 6,627 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

Listening to a city of Chicago lawyer getting her backside handed to her is like a symphony.

Hey, at least in this case I feel I'm getting my money's worth!
"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

#98 dadude999

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:41 AM

Hey, at least in this case I feel I'm getting my money's worth!

Agreed! Here's to a Chicago range sometime soon...

#99 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,422 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Link to audio not working. Need asap, please? Can someone post a link, or upload here?
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#100 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 21,021 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:32 PM

See if this is what you need

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/sound/2015/sp.14-3312.14-3312_11_04_2015.mp3

#101 Molly B.

• 16,422 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:58 PM

Excellent!  Thank you!

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#102 johnsxdm

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:36 PM

Quite an interesting listen.

#103 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

Anyone have a cliff notes version of the proceedings?
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#104 Hap

• 1,983 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

"Your witnesses didn't seem to have any evidence."

Ad utrumque paratus

#105 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

"Your witnesses didn't seem to have any evidence."

So same as the previous hearing? And a lot of "umms" and "ahhs"?

-Hapless

#106 Druid

• Members
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

That audio is great. Better watch out for all those kids running around inside shooting ranges.  :ermm:

#107 mikew

• Members
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

That audio is great. Better watch out for all those kids running around inside shooting ranges.  :ermm:

I was sitting there with Rhonda, Molly, and Swanhunter.

I though I was gonna have to bite the back of my hand to keep from busting out in laughter.

#108 FarmHand357

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

Wow, a great listen.  Thanks for posting.

Punish the crime, not the freedom

#109 chislinger

• Members
  • 6,627 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:29 AM

How long does it usually take to rule on a case like this?
"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

#110 Mohonri

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

Wow, I'm only about 1/4 of the way through, and that Chicago attorney is having a *really* hard time defending the law.

"One person."  "One range without a gun store." "You're experts don't say that!"

Can someone identify who the various voices are?  I assume the other woman is one of the judges, and the man with the more gravelly voice as well.

Edited by Mohonri, 22 January 2016 - 10:19 AM.

#111 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

Believe it's the original panel hearing the appeal (over and over). Senior Judge Kanne, Circuit Judges Rovner and Sykes. Kanne sounds like he's on his death bed, except that he's still extremely sharp. Rovner is....older while Sykes is youngest Judge on the panel (and on conservative short lists for SCOTUS). Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#112 kwc

• 3,417 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:56 PM

How long does it usually take to rule on a case like this?

It's been more than 10 months, and still counting… Just wondering out loud how much longer it will be before we get a ruling on this one.
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#113 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

That reminds me - I still need to FOIA the City and ask that question for the past 20 or so years.
You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#114 kwc

• 3,417 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

Just saw this from Alan Gura!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3974.PNG

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#115 Molly B.

• 16,422 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#116 Sweeper13

• 1,207 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

WOW..Very nice. Sad that it took 1 yr to get a decision. 

#117 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,865 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

Good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#118 kwc

• 3,417 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

Here's the decision:

http://media.ca7.usc...p:N:1897637:S:0

#119 Molly B.

• 16,422 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

Reading the ruling is almost as fun as it was being in the courtroom hearing the arguments!

#120 kwc

• 3,417 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Judge Sykes for SCOTUS!

Then again, we'd lose her on the CA7... :(