Illinois Population Dwindling - No Surprise Here.

Craigcelia

Outsiders have been screwing things up over there for years. When I first started looking(1998-1999) for a house, Indiana based the property taxes on how much the house cost when it was built. You could buy an old, small house and be paying $100 per year in taxes. Someone who moved from illinois supposedly complained and got that changed. St John, IN used to have "Home of the 1% property tax" on their website a few years back. Not any more.

There’s nothing wrong with taxes (income, property, sales, whatever) as long as the citizens get a fair value in return for their tax money.

I think most of the “value” we experience is in schools and roads. I lived in MN for a few years- western suburbs in Minneapolis. I now live in western suburbs of the cesspool.

Similar demographics. House values within $25,000 of each other. I pay twice the property taxes on my house here as I did in MN.

I have similar quality public schools and the roads here suck. I guess I owe a hearty “Thank you” to all the unionized civil service employees for doing half the job for twice the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, for me, there is a problem with excessive taxes, income, property, sales, etc. There is a point of diminishing returns. Residents of Illinois are getting a lousy ROI.

We don't need (fill in your #) ___% of current state programs being funded.

Fixed taxes vs consumption taxes can be debates till the cows go home, but Illinois has and continues to prove that more tax revenue means little more than more corruption and more non essential waste.

but Illinois has and continues to prove that more tax revenue means little more than more corruption and more non essential waste.

And meaningless high paying jobs with BIG forever pensions for all the cronies friends and family!

You can't fire them but you can quit paying them... by moving away!..... and they still have to show up for work tomorrow! Shun these parasites.

eta:

Don't vote for Dems when you move to a better place. If you're too dumb to teach your kids math and science yourself..............move back to illinois!

but Illinois has and continues to prove that more tax revenue means little more than more corruption and more non essential waste.

And meaningless high paying jobs with BIG forever pensions for all the cronies friends and family!

You can't fire them but you can quit paying them... by moving away!..... and they still have to show up for work tomorrow! Shun these parasites.

eta:

Don't vote for Dems when you move to a better place. If you're too dumb to teach your kids math and science yourself..............move back to illinois!

The exit clock is ticking but the wife can't justify forfeiting her career and paddding the 401K this late in the game so we will stick it out for as long as we can. Right now we have a sweet rental deal that makes it tolerable to stick it out for now, while not anchoring us. As for voting, I'm well aware of what has destroyed IL and have zero intention to bring that stupidity to my new home. As for teaching, the wife and I are home schooling our children, we refuse to put them into the public liberal geared indoctrination system, seen that horror show from the front row and don't care to see it again.

When we first met with our realtor, he said 4 out of 5 calls to him for listing property were from people leaving the state. He had never seen this in 30 years.

He told us to either sell now before the new administration kicks in and before the national elections, or to hold on for 10 years and try and recoup the down turn.

We sold quickly praise God, but had to make concessions with the seller at the last minute over some repairs.

Fortunately, we are speculating that we will make up the difference in land appreciation at our next home.

No matter, what, we have voted with our feet.

It’s also why the state likes its sanctuary status for illegals, the 10 year constitutionally required census is coming up and that effects the funding the state receives from the feds and the number of federal congressional seats. That’s why there is so much gnashing of teeth and people throwing themselves on the ground having tempertantrums over asking people if they are here legally or not on the census forms. The state is hoping they will offset the bleeding based on head count, and they don’t care if it’s citizens or illegals. The scam must perpetuate so they can keep filling their own coffers.

When I went to vote in the last election in the elementary school gym I noticed our schools now have signs for everything including the bathrooms in both English and Spanish. Isn’t multiculturalism a great thing, as Americans WE have to cater to others languages in our schools AND we get the pleasure of paying extra for it.

Put my house on the market a month ago. Only 1 person has come to see it. Five acres in the country. Going to be hard to get out of this state.

Good luck!

Look at the beating this has been taking over the last 7+ years of trying to sell! $32 million down to $9,999,999 and still no takers.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/68-Locust-Rd-Winnetka-IL-60093/3367181_zpid/

Put my house on the market a month ago. Only 1 person has come to see it. Five acres in the country. Going to be hard to get out of this state.

Good luck!

Look at the beating this has been taking over the last 7+ years of trying to sell! $32 million down to $9,999,999 and still no takers.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/68-Locust-Rd-Winnetka-IL-60093/3367181_zpid/

ONLY $ 195,000 + a YEAR in taxes !!!

ETA: You could put that Same house on 5x more land in KY or TN and save over $ 180,000 a Year !!

ETA2: F Illinois !!

We sold ours on day 3. Broker said it was a miracle but we have timber, pond, rural and no competing listings at the time.

The buyer knew my hand however, and strung us along until we had a contract on our next home before doing the nickel and dime dance on us.

I didn't care.

I'd rather take money off the top and give it back to the buyer now than pay an exit tax on even less money later.

Good luck!

Look at the beating this has been taking over the last 7+ years of trying to sell! $32 million down to $9,999,999 and still no takers.https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/68-Locust-Rd-Winnetka-IL-60093/3367181_zpid/

ONLY $ 195,000 + a YEAR in taxes !!!

ETA: You could put that Same house on 5x more land in KY or TN and save over $ 180,000 a Year !!

ETA2: F Illinois !!

Nice little shack. I would just take all the toilets out and get a porta potty

It’s also why the state likes its sanctuary status for illegals, the 10 year constitutionally required census is coming up and that effects the funding the state receives from the feds and the number of federal congressional seats. That’s why there is so much gnashing of teeth and people throwing themselves on the ground having tempertantrums over asking people if they are here legally or not on the census forms. The state is hoping they will offset the bleeding based on head count, and they don’t care if it’s citizens or illegals. The scam must perpetuate so they can keep filling their own coffers.

When I went to vote in the last election in the elementary school gym I noticed our schools now have signs for everything including the bathrooms in both English and Spanish. Isn’t multiculturalism a great thing, as Americans WE have to cater to others languages in our schools AND we get the pleasure of paying extra for it.

Wouldn't it be a cool learning experience if they had signs in multiple languages and on some days they took the english ones down? Some students might learn something...

Plenty of downstate rural illegals out there... if they aren't counted in the Census, for whatever reason, even more Republican seats will be lost.

Wouldn't it be a cool learning experience if they had signs in multiple languages and on some days they took the english ones down? Some students might learn something...

Wouldn't it be a cool learning experience if they only had signs in English only, some people might be encouraged to learn English and integrate...
A family member worked at a local retail store that was sued because the Spanish isle signs were on the 'back' of the English isle signs, the store settled the lawsuit by flipping the signs around much to the ire of those that read English, causing the store to remove all the isle signs.

Plenty of downstate rural illegals out there... if they aren't counted in the Census, for whatever reason, even more Republican seats will be lost.
Perfectly fine with me, I firmly believe illegals should not be influencing lawful elections or influencing policy, funding and distribution of government benefits while diluting the rights of the lawful citizens and residents!

Not here yet, but I can see the smoke

On May 9, the Illinois House Revenue & Finance Committee approved by a 9-6 vote an amendment to House Bill 391, which would more than double the per-gallon motor fuel tax by setting the state tax level at 44 cents from 19 cents. This increase would come atop layers of local gasoline taxes, state and local sales taxes, and other special fees in Illinois. Illinois is one of just seven states to apply both general sales taxes and fuel-specific excise taxes to gasoline.

No it is not true that the gas tax has been increased. There is a proposal to increase the tax pending in the state legislature but It has not been approved by both houses.

It's a well progressed shell bill that was last minute ammended and thus well on it's way to passing the Senate, I doubt the House or Govenor are honestly going to give it much objection as it's a tax, and they love taxes in this State. I could be wrong but it's no secret the JB and Crew plan to increase taxes to toss at the sinking ship after they skim their share.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/101/HB/10100HB0391ham001.htm

When we first met with our realtor, he said 4 out of 5 calls to him for listing property were from people leaving the state. He had never seen this in 30 years.

He told us to either sell now before the new administration kicks in and before the national elections, or to hold on for 10 years and try and recoup the down turn.

We sold quickly praise God, but had to make concessions with the seller at the last minute over some repairs.

Fortunately, we are speculating that we will make up the difference in land appreciation at our next home.

No matter, what, we have voted with our feet.

About 40 years ago, people ran from Chicago to the suburbs. Property in the city is currently worth about 100 times what you could pick it up for in the 1970s. Today, people are running from the suburbs to other states. I know where I'm planning on investing my money for retirement.

We just sold our 16 acres in McHenry county for more then we paid 44 years ago. I wanted to leave for the southeast but wife would not leave kids and grandchildren. So we bought a home on 1 acre for less than 1/2 of our sale proceeds and put the rest in storage. The new place is beautiful, paid 103 grand less than the seller paid for it 19 years ago. The other homes in the neighborhood that have gone on the market adjusted their sales prices down accordingly. One just went on market for 100 grand less than the other two in the subdivision, a divorce driving this one to some extent, but all being sold below original purchase price. At this point in our lives I dont

see us profiting from this purchase, but with the decline in home value comes the lowering of property taxes.

Dont feel good about staying, but will keep fingers crossed that it will not be as bad a decision as I had feared.

According to our broker, the higher the original purchase price of a property, the more of a beating the seller will take in the Illinois market.

Houses up to about 175K are maybe a very small plus/break even.

175K to 250K they are selling on average for about 10% under purchase.

250K to 350K they are selling for about 20% under purchase.

350K and up are 20%-30% under purchase.

Note I didn't say what current values should be but rather what the owner paid for them 5/10/15 years ago.

This is downstate Central/Southern portions.

I don't know where he got his numbers. He has been in the real estate biz for 35 years so they may be his own or some internal market analysis.

Archived