Top prosecutor 'stunned' at how few gun cases brought to trial yield convictions

InterestedBystander

Full story at link...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-kim-foxx-gun-convictions-met-20170725-story.html

..."Touching on an issue often raised by police when discussing Chicago's ongoing problem with gun violence, Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx said Tuesday that she was "stunned" to learn how few gun cases that go to trial result in convictions.

Foxx, in an interview with the Tribune's editorial board eight months into her job, said her office is working with law enforcement officials to collect better intelligence and build stronger cases against gun offenders.

Foxx also pledged to be more transparent than her predecessors in leveraging community involvement and data-driven approaches to help reduce crime. She said officials from her office will meet with Chicago police on a monthly basis to share the data on cases and strategize how to build stronger cases.

"What we realized is there's a big disconnect police finish, they clear their case, they drop it off and they move on to the next. We have our cases, we either win or lose and we move on to the next," Foxx said."...

Help me to understand.

We have a state's attorney who hates guns.

Prosecutors are judged by their conviction rate. Promotions and raises depend on it. So cases that are weak, they plea down. If they don't think they'll win, they plea down. So the overwhelming vast majority of cases end with a guilty plea, to a plea bargain, usually a slap on the wrist. Look at the straw buyer who had a $600 fine and probation. No jail time, 4 guns given to gangbangers.

In addition, if they DO somehow manage to get a gun case to trial, we have Cook County judges hesistant to actually jail anyone because of prison overcrowding. So that means prosecutors have even MORE reason to plea bargain and give slaps on the wrist plea bargains.

And she's SHOCKED at this happening?

She's a hypocrite.

Help me to understand.

We have a state's attorney who hates guns.

Prosecutors are judged by their conviction rate. Promotions and raises depend on it. So cases that are weak, they plea down. If they don't think they'll win, they plea down. So the overwhelming vast majority of cases end with a guilty plea, to a plea bargain, usually a slap on the wrist. Look at the straw buyer who had a $600 fine and probation. No jail time, 4 guns given to gangbangers.

In addition, if they DO somehow manage to get a gun case to trial, we have Cook County judges hesistant to actually jail anyone because of prison overcrowding. So that means prosecutors have even MORE reason to plea bargain and give slaps on the wrist plea bargains.

And she's SHOCKED at this happening?

She's a hypocrite.

She's clueless. If she were to read your post, and be able to understand it, it would increase her knowledge of the situation by oh,,,, say 10,000%. But she won't read it and wouldn't understand half of what you explained anyway. So, she'll remain the clueless, incompetent political hack. Drawing a very nice salary paid by your tax dollars by the way.

AB

Yep she's stunned all right.........

Last month a known gang member gets popped with handgun (380) in glove box loaded.

Leo's doc everything

He has record of having a 380 before in previous gun crimes (surprised?)

He states during pre trial that it's not his, knows not how it was placed there. Blah, Blah, Blah.......

She comes out with a statement that she's taking his word on this and drops charges....what?

SCC had a blog on it, Cabrini Fox takes word of know gangbanger with handgun over Leo's in Crook County.

SMH

Only in Illinois

Last month a known gang member gets popped with handgun (380) in glove box loaded.

Leo's doc everything

He states during pre trial that it's not his, knows not how it was placed there. Blah, Blah, Blah.......

She comes out with a statement that she's taking his word on this and drops charges....what?

SCC had a blog on it, Cabrini Fox takes word of know gangbanger with handgun over Leo's in Crook County.

SMH

Only in Illinois

You've got to wonder which side she's on. Even with a CCL, I'm willing to bet that if I had a gun in my glove box but didn't have my CCL on me when it was discovered, they'd prosecute me and ruin my life if they possibly could.

But...a gang banger with a gun...NO PROBLEMO! Must be bad cops and "racism".

"According to Foxx, about 80 percent of those charged with gun crimes in 2016 pleaded guilty" I wonder what the average sentence was for those who pled guilty. I'm willing to bet that it wasn't more than 1/4 of the maximum.

I'm willing to bet probation.

Plead guilty today

Be home tomorrow !!

Their conviction rate is outstanding, though!

She is clueless and in incompetent. She is a typical Incompetent Chicago political hack.

Ah yes, but following Rahm's screw up of the whole Laquan McDonald thing, she's the right level of competency and complexion to shut a major voting bloc up for a while. Results aren't nearly as important as the optics of it all.

"According to Foxx, about 80 percent of those charged with gun crimes in 2016 pleaded guilty" I wonder what the average sentence was for those who pled guilty. I'm willing to bet that it wasn't more than 1/4 of the maximum.

I'm willing to bet probation.

I'm willing to bet fines. More money for cronies. C'mon, we gotta pay for all those ghost payrollers and no bid contracts.

Leo's doc everything

SMH

Only in Illinois

You've got to wonder which side she's on. Even with a CCL, I'm willing to bet that if I had a gun in my glove box but didn't have my CCL on me when it was discovered, they'd prosecute me and ruin my life if they possibly could.

The way I was told, the person arrested for the gun in the glove box was neither the driver nor the owner of the vehicle. Was the gun his? Maybe, but unless there was more info that would be a near impossible case to make.

Leo's doc everything

SMH

Only in Illinois

The way I was told, the person arrested for the gun in the glove box was neither the driver nor the owner of the vehicle. Was the gun his? Maybe, but unless there was more info that would be a near impossible case to make.

That does make things a little different. I'm curious...are his fingerprints on the gun? Isn't keeping an armed gang banger off the streets worth doing that level of investigation? Not in the city, I guess...

Archived