10 Round AR15 Magazine Discussion

Buzzard

These are just a few of the questions I have about 10 round magazines:

Did Colt or anyone ever produce aluminum 10 round magazines?

Has anyone ever supplied 10 round magazines with their rifles?

Do G.I. magazine chargers work on Gen 3 Magpul magazines?

Well, back in the 94 AWB era, I recall 10 rd mags but not if they were metal or polymer although I kind of remember both.

Colt shipped 20 rd mags with an internal U shaped metal bar inside which limited loading to 10 rds. This was pop riveted in and I just may have heard of people drilling those out and removing the bar.

Well, back in the 94 AWB era, I recall 10 rd mags but not if they were metal or polymer although I kind of remember both.

Colt shipped 20 rd mags with an internal U shaped metal bar inside which limited loading to 10 rds. This was pop riveted in and I just may have heard of people drilling those out and removing the bar.

Now that you mentioned it, I recall a friend showing me one of those Colt riveted 20 round magazines made to only accept 10 cartridges. I completely forgot about those. All I remembered were the 20 round magazines shipped with new ARs.

We had some "shorties" in the Marine Corps yes. Rare, but they existed. I have a few MagPul 10rd-ers and they work fine. They are actually good for bench shooting, etc.., but don't want to give up my 30's. :no:

Exactly. Love the 30s. Have played with the odd set of tens once, but am not getting off the PMags!

These are just a few of the questions I have about 10 round magazines:

Did Colt or anyone ever produce aluminum 10 round magazines?

Has anyone ever supplied 10 round magazines with their rifles?

Do G.I. magazine chargers work on Gen 3 Magpul magazines?

A buddy of mine had a Colt, with some Colt ban era mags. He said there was just a metal spacer to take up the right amount of space in them, trivial to remove.

​Saw this 10 pack of magazine floorplates on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/458-SOCOM-Floorplate-10-Round/dp/B00IDDL8KM

Perfect thing to grab. More legit then writing "not for 223/5.56/300blk, 458SOCOM only" in sharpie. If this bill passes it will give me an excuse to build another AR, or at least the upper (makin lemonade from lemons, I guess).

If I get ambitious I'll put my 458SOCOM pistol between my front seats, lawyer up, and get a nice test case.

Perfect thing to grab. More legit then writing "not for 223/5.56/300blk, 458SOCOM only" in sharpie. If this bill passes it will give me an excuse to build another AR, or at least the upper (makin lemonade from lemons, I guess).

If I get ambitious I'll put my 458SOCOM pistol between my front seats, lawyer up, and get a nice test case.

The add says: "The floorplate will not fit lancer or any other plastic mag". I take that to mean it will not work with Magpul mags. Also doesn't the law specifically prohibit the use of such floorplates to reduce the round count of the mag if the floorplate can be removed?

The add says: "The floorplate will not fit lancer or any other plastic mag". I take that to mean it will not work with Magpul mags. Also doesn't the law specifically prohibit the use of such floorplates to reduce the round count of the mag if the floorplate can be removed?
It's not a floorplate to reduce capacity. It's a floorplate to more clearly label a magazine for use with 458SOCOM.

What I'm getting at is 458SOCOM and 223/5.56 use the same exact magazine. But loaded with 458SOCOM you can only load 10 rounds. Therefore if you own 458SOCOM and an empty STANAG you could easily argue its not a 30 round magazine but a 10 round magazine.

It's another one of those technical things that clearly demonstrates people that write gun control laws do not have the technical knowledge to do so.

Not a clue regarding legality of said floorplates. On a semi-related note, I can't recall the last time I had to undergo magazine inspections whilst out shooting?

Philosophically I'm of the mind that the magazines a firearm was designed to use are the standard capacity magazines for that gun. I chose my normal carry handgun because it had a 12 round capacity rather than a single stack.

Putting an arbitrary limit on round capacity for any semi-auto is feel-good foolishness personified. It not only suggests but in fact requires one to presume there is an 'OK' number of people a murderer should be allowed to shoot before needing to spend 1.5 seconds reloading.

The same

Not a clue regarding legality of said floorplates. On a semi-related note, I can't recall the last time I had to undergo magazine inspections whilst out shooting?

Philosophically I'm of the mind that the magazines a firearm was designed to use are the standard capacity magazines for that gun. I chose my normal carry handgun because it had a 12 round capacity rather than a single stack.

Putting an arbitrary limit on round capacity for any semi-auto is feel-good foolishness personified. It not only suggests but in fact requires one to presume there is an 'OK' number of people a murderer should be allowed to shoot before needing to spend 1.5 seconds reloading.

You also run into the same legal challenges with a 40cal converted to a 9mm. What if you have a legal 40cal 10 round magazine that with a barrel conversion you may be able to load 11 or 12 9mm rounds (I realize it might not feed reliably, but it would probably feed).

This is the problem with laws based on precrime. How do you prove the person's intent was to misuse? It's why with modern gun laws test cases are rare. Combined with other charges it's a lot easier to drop the difficult to prosecute technical gun laws. And without other charges most DA/SA/law enforcement isn't going to waste the time with something that has a very good chance of embarrassing the lawmakers/legal system and get the law removed from the books.

So yeah, they really are feel good laws designed to make legal gun owners lives difficult.

Archived