Current FOID wait times...

SCARLETfrost

My buddy has been well over the 30 day limit again. Contacted his reps and they just gave him the royal screw around of "Uhhh ok. What do you want me to do about it? We dont issue them."

I dont know what else to tell him to do now.

Who are your buddy's legislators? Todd can intervene and help much of the time, but he's kinda' busy right now. Your buddy needs to assert himself, tell his reps that he expects them to intervene and call the ISP for him and demand that his card be moved to the top of the list. OH, and mention the election coming up in November.

My wait wasn't too bad. I sent my app in early, as my card was to expire on August 1st. It went in the mail April 23, and it came today. So, four weeks exactly. Considering the waits some have had, that wasn't bad at all.

I still dislike having to get the card, but it is what it is. Baby steps, CCW first, then get rid of the FOID.

Well i have to renew my card AGAIN

Just a couple questions I have not seen asked

1 If I mail it as a CERTIFIED MAIL return reply requested I will have proof from the FEDERAL GOV as to the date I mailed my renewal. Now the card is not back in 30 days as mandated by the state of Illinois What happens if i get stopped by a LEO in IL while on my way to the range?

2 Since It looks like they are using the picture off of my drivers license why should I have to provide them with a photo at extra expense.

Why don't seniors 65-70-75 get free cards if they have held cards for X amount of years?

I will respectfully disagree.

1) Many Illinois gun owners do not currently have a FOID. Lot's of people haven't bothered or refuse to submit.

2) If the FOID becomes a permit to carry (court decree) there will be a mad rush. Now, these same people will have an additional reason.

The law states 30 days to issue FOID, but no penalty for delays. If you think the delays are bad now, wait until the system is flooded!

Mailed my application in on May 15th and received my card on June 1st. Very surprised after hearing about long waits from friends and reading this forum.

Took the advice from a local gun store when I went in to get a picture taken for the application. Complete the application on your computer, don't handwrite except for the signature. Use a money order and send the application using certified mail.

Scott

I did mine on the computer, provided the SSN, mailed it on 5/5, and still waiting. Granted, I used a personal check, but that was cashed immediately and

these days funds are secured electronically, within 1 day.. settlement doesn't depend on paper mail. Anyway, I still have my fingers crossed it will come

within the 30 days (this week) or I guess I'll be making some angry phone calls.

Well, good news, my card arrived today. 30 days from mailing, 20-something from check cashing. (They did use my awful DL photo instead of the photo I sent).

They used a picture on mine taken 20 years ago. They seem to be taking the worst picture that they can find and using them for the FOID photos. Sounds malicious.

Lets see.... $10 per FOID x 16,000 -35,000 applications per month = $160,000 - $350,000 PER MONTH*. and "The lady processing is off sick for several days and is still out. She is the only one doing this now." Not only is that answer pathetic, it's downright criminal! Where are the fees we are paying going? At these rates, they could afford at least TWO people doing this. Even in Springfield, the unemployment rate is over 8 per cent! Either that State Rep and State Senator are mopes for accepting that kind of answer, or they think we are.

*http://www.pjstar.com/news/x945639991/FOID-holder-stats-show-discrepancies

I was at Dicks and a customer presented a FOID that was close to expiring. The clerk who runs the gun counter at Dick's in Lombard said "wow- you're right down to the wire with this one." The guy said "Well I still have a couple of weeks". So I asked him when it expires and the guy said "June 29th" I said "Even if you send in your renewal today - you won't get a new card before that one expires." After the guy left, I was talking to the clerk , the gun counter clerk obviously needs a FOID for his job at Dick's, and he told me it took almost 90 days to get his renewed.

I hear stories of people getting their FOID in 20 or 30 days.

I guess I did everything wrong when I sent in my FOID renewal. I sent my renewal out April 12th last year. I didn't call the ISP after 30 days and I should have. I waited until June 6th to call the Illinois State Police.

When I did talk to a woman there she told me that the current processing time for a FOID was running 68 days, and she also told me that they hadn't received my application until May 3rd. She strongly hinted that the 68 day "timer" only started on May 3rd.

I wasn't in a huge hurry to renew my FOID. I should have called my state representative, but I didn't. Maybe the FOID cards of all the people who were calling their state representatives were being moved ahead of mine or something.

It took me almost 4 months just to renew my FOID from the time I mailed the application to the time I received the card.

How they date the FOID cards makes no sense to me. They received my application on April 18th at the latest. They cashed my check on April 20th. My card is dated 05/01/2021, but the lady I spoke to on June 6th, told me that her department hadn't even received my application until May 3rd. I didn't receive my FOID until first week of July last year. I know my card wasn't created on May 1st - because when I called June 6th - it hadn't been completed yet.

Send your app certified mail/receipt requested. You will get a green card back showing exactly what day the bank (yes, it goes to a bank) received it. 31 days from that date, you call your state representative and state senator and ask them to intervene for you with the FOID division of the ISP. Call them every other day until you get a card. If you must, quote 430 ILCS 65/5 That's section 5 if you're unfamiliar with the statute. It's not 68 days or 54 days or any other time that's been quoted to you. It's not 30 working days or 30 business days or 30 days not counting Holidays and President's Birthdays. It's 30 days, period.

The more we force our elected officials to hold the ISP's feet to the fire on this, the more likely our legislators are to see the fallacy of the FOID card. It will cost you about $5.65 to mail the app cert/receipt. That's an additional $ .57 per year for the card. Small price to pay to build support to elimimate it altogether.

JMHO, but an opinion held for a long time.

Tim

Hi,

I'm in the lucky group that got a fast turnaround.

I sent it in three weeks ago this past Monday, and the new card arrived today. No calls to my legislator. No political connections. No relatives in ISP. Just reasonably fast service within the required period of time.

Gotta give credit when credit is due. FWIW.

Rich Phillips

When using a gun shop, range or other third party to take the picture and fill out the paperwork, I would strongly suggest taking the completed app and putting it in the mail yourself. I've heard of shops holding apps until they get a certain number, then mailing them all in one envelope. Not accusing A2 of that, just sayin' it does happen sometimes.

And, mail it certified mail/receipt requested. Then they know you're watching.

Archived