People v. Brown - FOID ruled unconstituional in IL District Court

Molly B.

How long until we have a National FOID?

Would it work?

There should be no cost for internet verification of the buyer.

It should eliminate all waiting periods nationwide once the check is approved.

It should allow the holder to buy any gun in person anywhere in the US.

The other 49 states would be p*****...

It already exists, sort of. I mean the FBI has a file on everyone already and all the disqualifying info is supposed to be correlated. People don't have a card but all the backend info is there. Illinois has all the same, the machinations of the physical FOID cards are just a silly game. It's all tied to state DL/ID cards anyway, it would be trivial and save millions of dollars to do away with the FOID "system". At this point it's all a show to keep up appearances and maintain power by playing games with a physical card.

It's like fingerprinting, they make a big stink out of it, but already have facial recognition on everyone already so why bother? Just another game to distract people.

I think the same for paying per mile for gas, got a phone? High, low gas milage or no gas, everyone wears down roads...

• 2 weeks later...

Someone may have more updated statistics but:

" In 2013, unanimous decisions came down an average of 103.7 days after oral argument, while cases with dissenters took much longer – 185.8 days after argument."

per https://www.appellatestrategist.com/2014/03/articles/jurisdictions/illinois/whats-pending-on-the-illinois-supreme-courts-advisement-docket/

• 2 months later...

The Illinois Supreme Court may not agree with me, but here is my view, which is more expansive than the narrow issue presented in Brown: Although there are a few exceptions, all Illinois residents who do not have a FOID card are prohibited from possessing a firearm. This is a total ban, a blanket prohibition, that obliterates the right to keep and bear arms.

The Illinois Supreme Court may not agree with me, but here is my view, which is more expansive than the narrow issue presented in Brown: Although there are a few exceptions, all Illinois residents who do not have a FOID card are prohibited from possessing a firearm. This is a total ban, a blanket prohibition, that obliterates the right to keep and bear arms.

From your lips to SCOTUS' ears.

35 CONCLUSION ¶ 36 The circuit court’s ruling that section 2(a)(1) of the FOID Card Act is unconstitutional as applied was not necessary to the resolution of this case. Therefore, we remand this cause to the circuit court. We direct that the order entered by the circuit court on February 14, 2018, be vacated. We further direct that the October 16, 2018, judgment order dismissing defendant’s information be vacated and then modified to exclude the ruling that section 2(a)(1) is unconstitutional. The - 13 -modified order is thereupon to be reentered.

37 Vacated and remanded with directions.

JUSTICE KARMEIER, dissenting: ¶ 39 The majority’s decision resolves this appeal based on an issue no one has raised, decides the issue through misapplication of principles we have no reason to discuss, and remands the case to the circuit court for entry of an order that is clearly meritless and serves no purpose. Neither the parties nor the interests of justice will be served by this unexpected and pointless exercise. I therefore respectfully dissent.