Erika Harold vs Gary Grasso, ( R ) Attorney General Candidates - Thoughts?

InterestedBystander

Erika Harold vs Gary Grasso for AG in the Republican primary?

Thoughts pro and con, 2A or otherwise? NRA recommendations for any candidates is almost non existent so far.

SunTimes endorsement of Harold

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/gop-candidate-for-attorney-general-erika-harold-2018-illinois-primary/

..."QUESTION: What would you do to address the problem of gun violence? And if you say you would take on the NRA, how exactly would you do that?

ANSWER: I would support: the allocation of additional resources to law enforcement to enhance their community policing efforts; the creation of additional after school programs and job opportunities for young people in communities affected by violence; and the allocation of additional resources to fund social workers who serve as violence interrupters in communities affected by violence."...

Grasso response to question

QUESTION: What would you do to address the problem of gun violence? And if you say you would take on the NRA, how exactly would you do that?

ANSWER: Respectfully, it is not the role of the Attorney General to take on the NRA. The NRA has a 1st Amendment right to voice its positions and to lobby for laws it would like enacted.

Equally, those groups that seek specific restrictions on 2nd Amendment rights and may have opposite views on gun rights as the NRA also have their 1st Amendment right to lobby for those views.

But no organization or person wants gun violence certainly not the gun violence that is ravaging many parts of our urban and suburban. The Attorney General should work toward legislation that will increase use of technology that the Chicago police are employing to detect and prevent gun violence from erupting. The AG can advocate for resources and laws to patrol our state border where we know illegal guns are being brought into our neighborhoods only to destroy lives. The AG can insist on laws to require the safe transportation of firearms shipments on trucks, trains and airplanes. Doing so will keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Additionally, legislation to properly zone and regulate gun training facilities for the public and law enforcement should be enacted to assure that gun safety training facilities are allowed for both law-abiding gun owners and law enforcement. I also will create a task force to propose practical approaches to addressing mental illness and the ability to obtain a FOID card in Illinois. For example, advocating and requiring where Illinois has jurisdiction the sharing of information with gun registration and law enforcement about individuals dishonorably discharged from service for mental health reasons

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts pro and con, 2A or otherwise? NRA recommendations for any candidates is almost non existent so far.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/gop-candidate-for-attorney-general-erika-harold-2018-illinois-primary/

..."QUESTION: What would you do to address the problem of gun violence? And if you say you would take on the NRA, how exactly would you do that?

ANSWER: I would support: the allocation of additional resources to law enforcement to enhance their community policing efforts; the creation of additional after school programs and job opportunities for young people in communities affected by violence; and the allocation of additional resources to fund social workers who serve as violence interrupters in communities affected by violence."...

QUESTION: What would you do to address the problem of gun violence? And if you say you would take on the NRA, how exactly would you do that?

ANSWER: Respectfully, it is not the role of the Attorney General to take on the NRA. The NRA has a 1st Amendment right to voice its positions and to lobby for laws it would like enacted.

Equally, those groups that seek specific restrictions on 2nd Amendment rights and may have opposite views on gun rights as the NRA also have their 1st Amendment right to lobby for those views.

But no organization or person wants gun violence certainly not the gun violence that is ravaging many parts of our urban and suburban. The Attorney General should work toward legislation that will increase use of technology that the Chicago police are employing to detect and prevent gun violence from erupting. The AG can advocate for resources and laws to patrol our state border where we know illegal guns are being brought into our neighborhoods only to destroy lives. The AG can insist on laws to require the safe transportation of firearms shipments on trucks, trains and airplanes. Doing so will keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Additionally, legislation to properly zone and regulate gun training facilities for the public and law enforcement should be enacted to assure that gun safety training facilities are allowed for both law-abiding gun owners and law enforcement. I also will create a task force to propose practical approaches to addressing mental illness and the ability to obtain a FOID card in Illinois. For example, advocating and requiring where Illinois has jurisdiction the sharing of information with gun registration and law enforcement about individuals dishonorably discharged from service for mental health reasons

What's he trying to say here?

SunTimes endorsement of Haroldhttps://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/gop-candidate-for-attorney-general-erika-harold-2018-illinois-primary/

Im voting for Erika. Think she has best gop chance in general.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What's he trying to say here?

He basically said, No he wouldn't 'go after' the NRA, because they have a right to lobby for 2a rights. He also proscribed several initiatives he would take to stop actual illegal guns from coming into the state, or being stolen from transports. He mentioned pushing for legislation for zoning to allow for training facilities for citizens and LEOs, which MAY be going after those zoning laws that are meant to drive ranges out, and going after where Illinois has jurisdiction to make sure the state uploads all info it should to NICS..

All in all, it actually is some positive things to minimize the real problems happening in Chicago.

I think .40carry's question pertained to the comment about "...sharing of information with gun registration..." Correct me if I'm wrong.

I noticed that also. Was the reference made out of ignorance; the usual politician blather? Or did it provide insight into a personal agenda?

I think .40carry's question pertained to the comment about "...sharing of information with gun registration..." Correct me if I'm wrong.

I noticed that also. Was the reference made out of ignorance; the usual politician blather? Or did it provide insight into a personal agenda?

You nailed it that was exactly what I was referring to.

ETA - either he was mistaken or he needs a polite education on correct terminology. I would hope he has no desire for registration.

How many here will actually contribute to her campaign in November? Here we are just speaking to like minds. We need to help her, and Bruce Rauner, in any way we can for the November election. I'm retired and with very limited income, but I plan to spend some of that on contributions to both of these candidates.

How many here will actually contribute to her campaign in November? Here we are just speaking to like minds. We need to help her, and Bruce Rauner, in any way we can for the November election. I'm retired and with very limited income, but I plan to spend some of that on contributions to both of these candidates.

I don't think funds are an issue for Rauner. Ms Harold? Yea, she could use some most likely.

I don't think funds are an issue for Rauner. Ms Harold? Yea, she could use some most likely.
She could also use a better disguise of the fact that she's a RINO, at best. Fighting crime with more "programs" and "social workers?" Typical beauty pageant contestant answer -- and a very Dumocratic one, as well. And FWIW, I'd hardly call her "hot." What's it take to get an AG that actually has extensive prosecutorial/law enforcement experience in this freaking state? The only thing she has going for her IMO is that she doesnt (as far as I know) have a close relative holding high office.

I have been trying to get a meeting with her as I am in a position to offer a great deal of help, but a member of her campaign staff doesn't seem to be very interested. What I will say is no matter what she is a far better choice than State Senator Kwame Raoul who is the handpicked guy of the Chicago Democrats. Rumor has it that Madigan and the Cook County Democratic Party.

Archived