No IGOLD Buses in 2017

Molly B.

From the ISRA Thursday Bulletin - Thurs., Feb. 16, 2017

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR'S MESSAGE

Illinois Gun Owner Lobby Day (IGOLD) is coming up on April 5th this year and for the first time in a long time, the ISRA is not going to sponsor charter buses to the event. The expense of these buses has become too great. This does not mean the ISRA does not welcome clubs, gun shops and shooting ranges to sponsor their own bus. The money is better spent in other ways to protect the Second Amendment in Illinois, such as a better alert system and, perhaps, litigation. There will be a local bus from the Prairie Capital Convention Center to the Capitol Building for those who have difficulty walking in the march. I hope to see you all there.

Molly, were you privy to the costs of the buses?

How many people were actually using them?

I've got a revelation for everybody - cars hold more than one person!!!

IGOLD carpools!!.

It can be as simple as everybody meeting at the SAME place as the bus used to pick up, and a few cars make the trip (in convoy?) while a lot of cars stay parked there just like usual. Everybody (or most everybody) had to DRIVE to the bus's starting location. Everybody be prepared to drive to Springfield, and happily surprised if you don't.

Don't overthink the need for tight organization. Half the mechanism is in place.

Molly, were you privy to the costs of the buses?

And how many people were actually using them?

And I've got a revelation for everybody - cars hold more than one person!!!

IGOLD carpools!!.

It can be as simple as everybody meeting at the SAME place as the bus used to pick up, and a few cars make the trip (in convoy?) while a lot of cars stay parked there just like usual. Everybody (or most everybody) had to DRIVE to the bus's starting location. Everybody be prepared to drive to Springfield, and happily surprised if you don't.

Don't overthink the need for tight organization. Half the mechanism is in place.

Yes, I reserved the buses, organized the pick up locations, and made lunch reservations. Of course with the passage of the concealed carry act we have had fewer passengers in the last couple of years but even with the reduced numbers the difference in cost/fares/donations/sponsorships, it usually averaged out to break even or maybe as much as $250 or so per bus.

The carpool idea worked great the year the ice storm caused the bus companies to cancel - nearly everyone who reserved a seat on the bus made it down to Springfield by driving/carpooling.

Perhaps we should do like the Liberal Left, file for a permit hold a protest downtown Chicago instead. :frantics:

We did that, for several years in a row, starting in 2008.

Second Amendment Freedom Rally. (SAFR)

It all too place under Daley's nose, in the shadow of City Hall in the courtyear of the Thompson building.

One year we took a symbolic march around City Hall.

Have the marching permit to show to the friendly CPD, and the smile on his face ,was worth as much as a the march itself.

From the ISRA Thursday Bulletin - Thurs., Feb. 16, 2017

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR'S MESSAGE

Illinois Gun Owner Lobby Day (IGOLD) is coming up on April 5th this year and for the first time in a long time, the ISRA is not going to sponsor charter buses to the event. The expense of these buses has become too great. This does not mean the ISRA does not welcome clubs, gun shops and shooting ranges to sponsor their own bus. The money is better spent in other ways to protect the Second Amendment in Illinois, such as a better alert system and, perhaps, litigation. There will be a local bus from the Prairie Capital Convention Center to the Capitol Building for those who have difficulty walking in the march. I hope to see you all there.

yep, saw that earlier.

I can't help wondering what's behind that.

Perhaps we should do like the Liberal Left, file for a permit hold a protest downtown Chicago instead. :frantics:

We did that, for several years in a row, starting in 2008.

Second Amendment Freedom Rally. (SAFR)

It all too place under Daley's nose, in the shadow of City Hall in the courtyear of the Thompson building.

One year we took a symbolic march around City Hall.

Have the marching permit to show to the friendly CPD, and the smile on his face ,was worth as much as a the march itself.

The CPD officers were really good for SAFR. I've got a priceless photo of a CPD officer seeking out Otis McDonald and shaking his hand.

One thing that bothered me was the lack of press coverage. I called out the Libune for not covering IGOLD and the answer I got was that it was in Springfield- not Chicago. I made sure they were notified about SAFR and in 2009 even had a conversation with the Libune photographer who was there. When I asked if his photos would be in the next day's Tribune he kinda chuckled and said "Ask Bruce" meaning Bruce Dold the rabid anti-gun zealot editor T the Tribune. As you might guess there was zero coverage.

I'm missing the payback for marching in Chicago. What can, or would, Chicago government do for Illinois Carry? Have to go to Springfield, I think. Those are the people we need to influence.

That was kind of my point all these liberals holding rally's, protests, marches, which have no correlation to reality.

I'm missing the payback for marching in Chicago. What can, or would, Chicago government do for Illinois Carry? Have to go to Springfield, I think. Those are the people we need to influence.

Thousands of people knew we were there. People on their lunch breaks stopped and listened to us, went back, told their friends

We let the chicago govt know that we were not going away.

Remember, we launched the first one of these before the ink was dry on the Heller decision and the McDonald complaint.

Thousands of people knew we were there. People on their lunch breaks stopped and listened to us, went back, told their friends

We let the chicago govt know that we were not going away.

Remember, we launched the first one of these before the ink was dry on the Heller decision and the McDonald complaint.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining it.

So, I was considering taking a bus this year, but was leaning against it. I'll probably be driving down there but would prefer to share the gas with someone. I'm coming from the Chicago area (Niles).

Yes, Amtrak is an excellent solution from both the Chicago direction and the St. Louis area direction. There are trains with nearly perfect scheduling for the event.
We, along with Racer Dave and a good contingent board at Joliet at 8am, are deposited a few blocks from the Convention Center at a quarter past ten.
The Joliet Amtrak/Metra station has been mired in a long-term and none-too-successful reconstruction- old Joliet Union Station is no longer in use. Amtrak's using a little temporary station south of Union at 53 Art Schultz Drive, immediately west of the baseball park. There is ample cheap parking two blocks west in a multistory municipal parking garage. Often, there's no cashier at 7:30pm when we return, so no parking fee is charged.
At IGOLD, there's time after the Capitol Building work and events to make a stop at the Bennigan's over back by the Convention Center, then make the 5pm train back north.

I believe my round-trip fare was about $28 or less.

This is also practical for people in Bloomington.

From the south, say, Alton, you have two northbound choices at 7:25 and 8:43am (Texas Eagle #22) and a return trip departing 5:14pm.

These "Lincoln Service" trains have a decent club car, with a snack bar with danish, sandwiches, beverages, decent coffee, and tables to sit.

Note that the Texas Eagle trains are long-distance trains with observation cars with the club car bar downstairs and full diners. Scheduling on these, trains 21 and 22, can be tighter, while the Lincolns pretty much always have room. The Eagles are not always as on-time as we'd like. For example, the northbound today just went by my back door 45 minutes late.

I've been to every IGOLD (labelled as such) and it's been Amtrak every time. The Lincoln trains, which had some slow orders due to the "high speed rail" track improvements in the past, seem to be running pretty well on time nowadays.
Now, if only our Carbondale and Centralia friends could get the Illini to make a little turn to the northwest around Mattoon...

It also bears mention for Chicago-area attendees considering rail that if you have good access to any Metra commuter rail line that terminates at Chicago Union Station and can find appropriate service, that's another easy alternative. Say you're in the Fox Lake area. The Metra Milwaukee North District trains will drop you off a few hundred feet from the Lincoln Service train departing Union at 7:00am. Your return Lincoln train gets you back to CUS at a reasonable 8:40pm.

The same can also apply to people along the BNSF line to Aurora, the Milwaukee West line to Elgin/Big Timber, North Central from Antioch, and Southwest Service from Orland (although driving to Joliet could be easier!). If you are near one of the UP lines from Waukegan or Elburn, you will have a three-block walk downtown to get to Union from Ogilvie Transportation Center (the awful rename for the old Chicago & Northwestern station).
Metra Rock Island service terminates at Joliet and a hookup that way should be possible, too.

www.metrarail.com

Archived